• 5(current)
Kodi 4K support broken on Shield TV Marshmallow
(2016-04-30, 19:34)scnafe Wrote: Hi

Just did the test with Kodi and my Shield.
I can't read the text when I play the file in Kodi on my shield, it's also the same on MXPlayer on the shield. My tv displays 4K res and is set to 4K60, surface set to ON.
When I play the file on my TV on the built in media player, I can read it.Sad
Pictures attached.
I'm feeling a bit duped Confused
Regards
I have mentioned this in one of the posts at Shield forum. There is some scaling/conversion occurring when output is set to 4K 50/60 Hz. 4K 23.976Hz mode will be fine.
Thanks wesk05. I wasn't aware this had been mentioned.

Do you think there will be a fix or is it something we have to live with?

Edit: Just tried 23.976. Cannot read it on that either. I'm going to send it back I think, so far I haven't been impressed with the shield. I keep getting random flickering too like it's a dodgy hdmi, despite trying a few different cables, and yesterday it crashed while playing a movie and I had to unplug it.
crazy...
Photo & Videos Android app visualizes 4K photos and Kodi doesn't anymore...

very sad...
(2016-05-02, 16:30)gabrielefx Wrote: crazy...
Photo & Videos Android app visualizes 4K photos and Kodi doesn't anymore...

very sad...

Use SPMC (wiki) and change the GUI scaling options (I forget the exact name of the setting).
(2016-02-25, 20:23)mr-photo Wrote:
(2016-02-25, 19:25)Koying Wrote: I don't get the rest of your post. Is there an issue or is it just a generic question?

The issue now seems that when watching a video in Kodi if you hit L1 button you can cycle through several different steps of "best fit" video modes. One of these video modes is called "Original Size". Before the Shield 3.0 update whenever I would watch 4K content, if I put it into "Original Size" mode the entire video was seen on my screen as normal since my screen itself is 4K. There would be no change to the video. Also, before shield 3.0 update if I were to watch say a 1920x1080 video and put it into "original size" mode the 1920x1080 video would fit into a box corresponding to the actual size it would represent on a 4K screen, instead of being upconverted to fit the entire 4K screen. It's basically a pixel per pixel adaptation of the video to fit YOUR current viewing screen. A 1280x720 file would be a smaller box and so on and so on.
So, now after Shield 3.0 update, playing 4K content in "original size" will Zoom in to the video showing you only 1/4 of the image, and playing 1920x1080 videos in "original size" will play the content full screen. This tells me that Kodi believes that the screen I am using to watch my content is actually 1080 and not 4K.

Hello, This exact same thing happens to me. Is there a resolution for this? Thank you in advance.
After a lot of testing, I found that Kodi 16.x releases don't actually display 2160p video. The UI and videos are both in 1080p. Downgrading to Kodi 15.2 seems to work fine for playing UHD video. The issue there is that Kodi is officially supported in Google Play and will auto update itself. But for now I found a temporary workaround.

I get wanting the UI to run better in 1080p, but completely breaking 4K playback is very unfortunate for the current release of Kodi. It frankly is one of the selling points of the Nvidia Shield.
(2016-05-20, 19:39)kajex Wrote: After a lot of testing, I found that Kodi 16.x releases don't actually display 2160p video. The UI and videos are both in 1080p. Downgrading to Kodi 15.2 seems to work fine for playing UHD video. The issue there is that Kodi is officially supported in Google Play and will auto update itself. But for now I found a temporary workaround.

I get wanting the UI to run better in 1080p, but completely breaking 4K playback is very unfortunate for the current release of Kodi. It frankly is one of the selling points of the Nvidia Shield.

I assure you, Kodi v16.1 is able to output UHD videos as UHD on the Nvidia Shield TV.
As long as Mediacodec Surface is selected.
Hi,

I'm having the same issue as Mr-Photo. any ideas on how to resolve this ? Kodi plays my 4k files @ 1080p. I'm running Kodi 16.1 on nvidia shield tv ( android 6.0 ). I have a Samsung 4K TV and I'm connecting my nvidia shield TV to a HDCP 2.2 HDMI using a HDMI 2.0 cable.

Any thoughts ??

Thanks,
Kevin.
I just tried the Kodi 17 alpha2 and the scaling -> resizing bug is still present.
(2016-05-01, 02:42)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-04-30, 19:34)scnafe Wrote: Hi

Just did the test with Kodi and my Shield.
I can't read the text when I play the file in Kodi on my shield, it's also the same on MXPlayer on the shield. My tv displays 4K res and is set to 4K60, surface set to ON.
When I play the file on my TV on the built in media player, I can read it.Sad
Pictures attached.
I'm feeling a bit duped Confused
Regards
I have mentioned this in one of the posts at Shield forum. There is some scaling/conversion occurring when output is set to 4K 50/60 Hz. 4K 23.976Hz mode will be fine.

Your absolutely right, you might want to look into this @Koying. This bug is present in SPMC all Kodi builds i've tried. (when running Shield 3.2) even in 2160p gui mode, the only way to get your purple test pattern to read is when running in 4k 23,976hz. I have screenshots of each scenario. I can probable create a debug log tomorrow if required.
(2016-07-07, 20:40)Louike Wrote: Your absolutely right, you might want to look into this @Koying. This bug is present in SPMC all Kodi builds i've tried. (when running Shield 3.2) even in 2160p gui mode, the only way to get your purple test pattern to read is when running in 4k 23,976hz. I have screenshots of each scenario. I can probable create a debug log tomorrow if required.
Part of it is actually due to chroma subsampling. 4K 50/59.94/60Hz has 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. That is why you see the fuzzy vertical lines in my test pattern. When I first posted it as a scaling issue I had overlooked the fact that there is chroma subsampling at 50/60Hz.
(2016-07-08, 02:27)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-07-07, 20:40)Louike Wrote: Your absolutely right, you might want to look into this @Koying. This bug is present in SPMC all Kodi builds i've tried. (when running Shield 3.2) even in 2160p gui mode, the only way to get your purple test pattern to read is when running in 4k 23,976hz. I have screenshots of each scenario. I can probable create a debug log tomorrow if required.
Part of it is actually due to chroma subsampling. 4K 50/59.94/60Hz has 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. That is why you see the fuzzy vertical lines in my test pattern. When I first posted it as a scaling issue I had overlooked the fact that there is chroma subsampling at 50/60Hz.
Are you saying that there is 4:2:0 subsampling being applied to files that are 4:2:0 already? that is insane, why are they not being output native?
This is all a shame.

I was literally just about to splash out on a Shield and then stumbled across this thread.

No sign of getting 4K Kodi to work on the shield then?
(2016-07-20, 01:48)James_liv Wrote: No sign of getting 4K Kodi to work on the shield then?
Kodi and SPMC do play 4K videos at 4K.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 4K support broken on Shield TV Marshmallow2