• 5(current)
XBMC Linux port questions and answers...
Ok, I know this is a fair bit off topic but i didn't think i should make an entire new thread for it. Tell me if i should have.

Suppose the new hardware had bluetooth, would it then be possible (if someone was willing to develop it..) to support multiple xbmc's around the house in the sense that if you were walking around from one tv to a tv in another room with a bluetooth device. the first xbmc turned off and the one in the other room continued what you were watching when it detected your bluetooth device(mobile)

I just dont know whether the bluetooth receivers can detect the strength of the signal. But in my opinion it would be a nice feature which could also be configured with profiles. so that if xbmc detected that "Sam's" fones bluetooth signal strength was above a certain defined level it would switch to "Sam's" xbmc profile.

@ultrabrutal
correct me if im wrong but you forgot support for tv tuners. i know there are other streaming methods at the moment but in my opinion this would be one of the biggest advantages if its developed.
nick, that idea (similar) has been up before and was labeled usable for pron (walking to bed room) Wink

oh yeah tv tuners instead of network enabled tuners that xbmc "support" now and ofcourse in box scheduling and recording.
wake on lan would be nice too
Another nice thing would be if we were able to boot directly into xbmc. Like with GeeXboX. (not via x-server etc)
yeah it should be a full distro. no need for installing linux and then xbmc as that would not be good for non geeks Wink

a good thing then is that it can self update since it nolonger rely on "illegal" binaries
_max_ Wrote:Im sorry but asking shuttle to do a custom setup for XBMC? do you know how much money goes into designin a motherboard? i asked for a dev board from a company and they asked me to send back a detailed plan of what application i would build ontop of it that would sell atleast 200.000 units. it costs ALOT of money, people have asked asus and abit to create linux friendly motherboards for years, theres just not enough money in it.
I know this is jumping a pretty long way back into the thread, but I had to respond. There's a big difference between asking someone to develop brand new hardware vs putting together a standardized system. I wasn't suggesting that Shuttle would be interested in coming up with a new circuitboard with an embedded OS or anything. I was suggesting that they'd probably be willing to put together a standardized system that uses parts that XBMC-Linux will be able to use.

You sure do like quoting a lot instead of reading properly.
deeceefar2 Wrote:The platform is static just like the Xbox, though I could see Apple trying to pull some of the hardware revision crap Microsoft did to stop the modding community, but that never really worked for them anyway did it..

Apple have officially stated that they will not change the hardware to prevent modding, they said if someone opens the case and screws up the hardware, thats there money lost, aslong as they dont open it, warrenty will not be voided.

So they seem to welcome this Smile
szsori Wrote:I know this is jumping a pretty long way back into the thread, but I had to respond. There's a big difference between asking someone to develop brand new hardware vs putting together a standardized system. I wasn't suggesting that Shuttle would be interested in coming up with a new circuitboard with an embedded OS or anything. I was suggesting that they'd probably be willing to put together a standardized system that uses parts that XBMC-Linux will be able to use.

You sure do like quoting a lot instead of reading properly.

creating a motherboard isn't as simple as you may think, do you know how many layers of connections that connect all the components? that need to fit phsyically onto the motherboard? thats millions of dollars, xbmc people that would purchase this motherboard would in no-way make up for that cost. Just get a microscope and look at a standard motherboard, thats tons of hours on design, and even more hours testing it so its stable.

i wont go as low as to personally attack your knowlage (or lack there of) as you attack my reading.
_max_ Wrote:creating a motherboard isn't as simple as you may think, do you know how many layers of connections that connect all the components? that need to fit phsyically onto the motherboard? thats millions of dollars, xbmc people that would purchase this motherboard would in no-way make up for that cost. Just get a microscope and look at a standard motherboard, thats tons of hours on design, and even more hours testing it so its stable.

i wont go as low as to personally attack your knowlage (or lack there of) as you attack my reading.

Since theres no edit feature in this forum and i forgott to add:

Shuttle only make chassis with everything onboard a single motherboard, thats why i brought up the motherboard again (some people dont seem to know this) when you buy a shuttle chassi you get the chassi, a psu, and a motherboard. You just add ram,cpu,hdd,dvd and a gpu if you want.
Sigh. Once again, you're talking about motherboard design when it's completely irrelevant. There are plenty of motherboard solutions out there that would be sufficient for Shuttle to incorporate, including some of the VIA-EPIA motherboards.

Besides, I was using Shuttle as an example, not a final solution. I'm sure there are plenty of other manufacturers out there that would love to come up with something that's guaranteed to sell a good deal of units. Shuttle actually already has 3 HTPC units that might work, but would be on the expensive end (around $1000 I believe). I still think AppleTV is a decent option, but it really doesn't have the power to do some of the things I personally would be interested in (higher end emulation and gaming).

And yes, I understand the complexities of circuit board design. My mother develops circuit boards for GE and a good friend is a senior processor engineer at Intel. It doesn't really matter though, since, like I said, it's completely irrelevant.
As has been pointed out already, using standard pc components isn't a good idea since they aren't in rotation very long.

A Big Reason XBMC is what it is today is because it's made for 1 platform where all hardware basically is the same. Let's not forget this
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I like the idea of having a separate linux dist just for xbmc, geexbox sounds like a good model to look at. Making a WIN32 version of xbmc might be nice for some, but windows isn't exactly fast to boot Smile

The Apple TV doesn't really have much on the xbox, i'd rather see xbmc on a Mac Mini or alike with a C2D. I hope this port doesn't turn out to be another Media Portal, i really couldn't care less for dvb-c/t/s support. I just want a 720p/1080p x264 capable box Smile Maybe you should have a poll for a hardware-platform, or two polls; one budget spec and one highend spec.

I'm really eager to see what this will bring, and would like to wish all involved good luck!

I've done alot of cross-platform programming lately (ported stuff from WIN32 to OS X), will look into contributing somehow to this project.
Todays Linux Screenshot: http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4520/070516xp0.png

It illustrates a couple of things.

We run window in 720p
We show the amazingly beautiful Jessica Alba using our freshly ported and very alpha Imagelib_raw.dll
And all running in OpenGL on my modest Intel GMA945 gpu.

Thanks to the great work so far by all involved: yuvalt, vulkanr, elupus and last but not least jmarshall
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

looking great pike Smile
Hi,

when I try to compile xbmc on my gentoo rig, I get the following error with guiImage.cpp

Code:
g++-4.1 -c -g  -D_LINUX -D_XBMC_DEBUG -D_FILE_DEFINED -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -I. -Icommon -I../xbmc -I../xbmc/linux -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/SDL guiImage.cpp -o guiImage.o
guiImage.cpp: In member function 'virtual void CGUIImage::Render()':
guiImage.cpp:174: error: 'glActiveTextureARB' was not declared in this scope
guiImage.cpp: In member function 'void CGUIImage::Render(float, float, float, float, float, float, float, float)':
guiImage.cpp:435: error: 'glMultiTexCoord2f' was not declared in this scope
make[1]: *** [guiImage.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/riker/testbed/XBMC/guilib'
make: *** [guilib] Error 2

2D SDL code compiles just fine. I checked /usr/include/SDL and sdl_opengl.h is there. Any suggestions?

My versions of SDL are:
libsdl-1.2.11-r2
sdl-ttf-2.0.8
sdl-sound-1.0.1-r1
sdl-mixer-1.2.7
sdl-image-1.2.5-r1
sdl-gfx-2.0.13-r1

gcc-4.1.1
libcdio-0.77
fribidi-0.10.7
lzo-2.02-r1
freetype-2.3.3
sqlite-3.3.12
libogg-1.1.3
Question 
riker77 Wrote:when I try to compile xbmc on my gentoo rig, I get the following error with guiImage.cpp

guiImage.cpp: In member function 'virtual void CGUIImage::Render()':
guiImage.cpp:174: error: 'glActiveTextureARB' was not declared in this scope
guiImage.cpp: In member function 'void CGUIImage::Render(float, float, float,

This function should be in /usr/include/GL/gl.h. Could be that you don't have a recent version of OpenGL? In my GL.h it says Mesa 6.5.1. The file is part of the mesa-common-dev package in Ubuntu.

-Yuval
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Linux port questions and answers...7