add support for VTT
I noticed that YouTube also uses some styling elements like size, align and position in WebVTT subtitles.
They also use some HTML (?) codes like "greater than"
Code:
>
for
Code:
>

Here's a YouTube sample

Am I allowed to post the WebVTT file downloaded from YouTube here?
You just have to open the file in a text editor like Notepad++ which I really like Wink
Would be nice if kodi supported vtt, love the font, color and text formatting on these subs.
Widely used these days....
Was also checking into this recently.  They can be converted into ass or srt and used with Kodi, but it seems like Kodi should be able to render them.  Kodi does recognize them (muxed into mkv file with ffmpeg) and I can select the sub stream in the UI, they just don't render.

scott s.
(2020-05-13, 05:13)scott967 Wrote: Was also checking into this recently.  They can be converted into ass or srt and used with Kodi, but it seems like Kodi should be able to render them.  Kodi does recognize them (muxed into mkv file with ffmpeg) and I can select the sub stream in the UI, they just don't render.

scott s.
Will Kodi support webvtt subtitles in future versions?
(2020-06-01, 11:13)Klaus1189 Wrote:
(2020-05-13, 05:13)scott967 Wrote: Was also checking into this recently.  They can be converted into ass or srt and used with Kodi, but it seems like Kodi should be able to render them.  Kodi does recognize them (muxed into mkv file with ffmpeg) and I can select the sub stream in the UI, they just don't render.

scott s.
Will Kodi support webvtt subtitles in future versions?

I just ran into the same issue, so I also have the question about support for that format.
Latest LAVFilters can handle both variants of WebVTT (mkv and web ones).
And the internal subtitles render of MPC-HC can handle WebVTT in mkv and webm and also external ones (it support also some styling).
Please add support.
I've got to chime in as I've just discovered a usecase myself and the files work just fine in VLC.

I'll be seeing if there is a good converter somewhere but it would be easier if Kodi would simply render the files the way it does srts.
i am currently working to add WebVTT support to Kodi 20 you can see PR https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/20244

this mainly include:
- support for external files (extension ".vtt")
- support for streaming with webvtt (often used with VOD addon services)
- support for styles, text positioning and more

but is not supported WebVTT embedded in MKV files due to current missing implementation in FFMPEG library
Dev-Maintainer of InputStream Adaptive add-on, Netflix add-on ▫ Skills Python, C#, VB.NET and a bit of C++

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
add support for VTT0