Hifiberry patch
Hi there,

I am using Kodi from the official jessie repository on my Raspberry 2 with a Hifiberry Digi+. Unfortunately passthrough is not possible, so there is no AC3 or DTS sound. When using OSMC everything works fine, because they guys there incorporated a patch so that the Hifiberry Digi+ is recognized correctly as a IEC958 device. Are there any plans to add this patch in Kodi? It's just 2 line in xbmc/cores/AudioEngine/Sinks/AESinkALSA.cpp.

If there are no plans to do so, is there another workaround o get the Hifiberry Digi+ to work? OSMC is not really possible for me as I need the raspberry for some other things to, not only for Kodi....

Thanks for helping!!!
(2016-02-26, 15:01)rucksman Wrote: I am using Kodi from the official jessie repository on my Raspberry 2 with a Hifiberry Digi+. Unfortunately passthrough is not possible, so there is no AC3 or DTS sound. When using OSMC everything works fine, because they guys there incorporated a patch so that the Hifiberry Digi+ is recognized correctly as a IEC958 device. Are there any plans to add this patch in Kodi? It's just 2 line in xbmc/cores/AudioEngine/Sinks/AESinkALSA.cpp.

If there are no plans to do so, is there another workaround o get the Hifiberry Digi+ to work? OSMC is not really possible for me as I need the raspberry for some other things to, not only for Kodi....

No chance of getting that patch into kodi's source as it is purely working around a bug in the kernel driver.
You really should complain to Hifiberry as that is where the fix belongs.
Well, then it's an infinite loop. I guess you know their answer very well... "There is a patch needed for Kodi that allows passthrough. This is included in OSMC and OpenElec, but not the standard version of Kodi." So you are pointing to Hifiberry, they are pointing to Kodi. Solution? Nope....
I suspect one way of breaking that loop is to drop the hacky patch that OSMC/OE are using. That may force the correct solution.
If someone can give a link to the patch we could consider removing it from OpenELEC but I'm not finding anything obvious in the OpenELEC tree (just had a quick look) unless it's masquerading under some title which makes no mention of "hifiberry" or "iec958", in which case I don't think OpenELEC has anything...
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2016-02-26, 23:22)Milhouse Wrote: If someone can give a link to the patch we could consider removing it from OpenELEC but I'm not finding anything obvious in the OpenELEC tree (just had a quick look) unless it's masquerading under some title which makes no mention of "hifiberry" or "iec958", in which case I don't think OpenELEC has anything...

It's in my trees. E.g. https://github.com/popcornmix/xbmc/commi...dc458e0476
Ah *your* tree... Smile

Up to you if you want to drop it... sounds like Hifiberry are just going to rely on you maintaining the hack rather than doing the right thing.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
AS long as there is no solution from either side I want to compile Kodi with this patch on my own. Problem: I understand the compiling process in principle but have it never done before. For performance reasons I want to compile Kodi not on the Raspberry 2 but on a regular Linux computer. I found these instructions (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...aspberrypi) but I guess it is not 100% correct. The last 2 lines gives me error messages, and I suppose these would install Kodi already which makes no sense on my regular Linux machine. Can you give me a hint how to proceed after stept "make -C tools/depends/target/xbmc"? Or are these instruction not correct at all from what I want to achieve? Thanks for helping.

Update: I just saw that the step "make -C tools/depends/target/xbmc" was not finisehd correctly. I got the errot:
configure: error: Could not find a required library. Please see the README for your platform.
make: *** [../../../..//libkodi.so] Fehler 1

How can I solve this problem?
I'm about to buy a Hifiberry Digi+ to get optical to my amp from the Pi2, running latest stable OE 6.0.3 (also testing Krypton builds).

I need AC3 5.1 and DTS from Pi2 to my amp. Do I get it right that it is not possible and I will not have DTS with Hifiberry and OE?
(2016-03-22, 10:12)gurabli Wrote: I'm about to buy a Hifiberry Digi+ to get optical to my amp from the Pi2, running latest stable OE 6.0.3 (also testing Krypton builds).

I need AC3 5.1 and DTS from Pi2 to my amp. Do I get it right that it is not possible and I will not have DTS with Hifiberry and OE?

Two other choices would be a USB sound stick or a HDMI audio extractor.

I have used both with my Pi to extract SPDIF audio which carries DD and DTS optically to my amp. At the moment I'm using the HDMI audio extractor.

The good thing about the two I noted is that they are not just for the Pi but can be used elsewhere. I used the USB sound stick (has optical out) on a Windows HTPC to provide SPDIF.
Thanks for your reply! I know I could use an USB sound stick, but I don't really like that option. There are many downsides of this on Rpi.

The HDMI audio extractor might work, but if I'm correct, I need to use a switch on the device each time I want to select HDMI audio on tv or spdif to amp? Which device are you using exactly? I see there are many available on eBay.

It would be great if someone could confirm if the Hifiberry Digi+ is working on OE 6, 7 and Krypron builds for AC3 and DTS passtrough.
I never noticed a downside wit hthe Turtle Beach USB sound stick, I used it on a Windows HTPC and then on my Pi.

The HDMI audio extractor.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Y0...ge_o00_s00

It passes through 3D and no audio or visual distortion noted.

. As long as I power up the switch first and then the Pi it will then switch the TV on from Standby and work great. When powering off the Pi it will then shut down the TV.
It passes through both DTS and DD fine.

I have a set of three remote controlled power adaptors, one connected to my Pi, the extractor and the other ti my Amazon Fire TV. I need that as the Pi or the AFTV must be off otherwise my media server will stay awake.

I looked at the device you mentioned but realised at the time they had issues with the Pi 3 and, as I noted, the devices that I mentioned can be used on equipment other than the Pi and thus are more versatile.

I only needed audio via a SPDIF and couldn't see why I needed a Digi+ to do that when there are other solutions for my Pi 3.
What are the main benefits of using the HiFiberry over using audio over HDMI to an amp

Sorry if its a dumb question.

Thanks
N
(2016-03-22, 11:30)nick w Wrote: What are the main benefits of using the HiFiberry over using audio over HDMI to an amp

Sorry if its a dumb question.

Thanks
N

No dumb question at all!
No benefits at all, hdmi is better as it supports more formats (Hifiberry supports DTS max), but if you don't have an amp with hdmi input, only with optical/coaxial, then you obviously can't use hdmi for amp. I don't want to replace the amp, I like it a lot, and to me DTS is perfectly fine.

BTW, Hifiberry products are of very high quality, especially their DAC for stereo audio.
(2016-03-22, 11:22)Vimes Wrote: I never noticed a downside wit hthe Turtle Beach USB sound stick, I used it on a Windows HTPC and then on my Pi.

The HDMI audio extractor.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Y0...ge_o00_s00

It passes through 3D and no audio or visual distortion noted.

. As long as I power up the switch first and then the Pi it will then switch the TV on from Standby and work great. When powering off the Pi it will then shut down the TV.
It passes through both DTS and DD fine.

I have a set of three remote controlled power adaptors, one connected to my Pi, the extractor and the other ti my Amazon Fire TV. I need that as the Pi or the AFTV must be off otherwise my media server will stay awake.

I looked at the device you mentioned but realised at the time they had issues with the Pi 3 and, as I noted, the devices that I mentioned can be used on equipment other than the Pi and thus are more versatile.

I only needed audio via a SPDIF and couldn't see why I needed a Digi+ to do that when there are other solutions for my Pi 3.

Vimes, sorry but I don't get it now.

With this hdmi audio extractor, set to 5.1CH mode you get simultaneous audio on TV over HDMI and on amp over optical? Do I get this correctly? Si if I turn off the amp, I will still have audio on TV over HDMI?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hifiberry patch0