Screen resolution upset after power cycling TV and AVR
Glad to year everything is running stable on your end again.

Yeah, some cheaper baluns can be flaky as no much is put into quality control. Usually adding a cheap HDMI switch at the end helps as the signal is "re-created" there, That helps with devices not fully obeying the specs / having very low tolerance to the signal.

When do you loose HDMI audio? It is a similar issue in a lot of software because the HDMI audio device is in the same way removed as the display on Windows when sleeping/resuming (HDMI audio is considered an external device) and depending on how software does this, it might not be able to acquire the correct audio device again.

This manifests as problems like "mute on resume" and stuff like this, which are similar side effects. But if software does a proper wakeup there should be no issues.

Though some drivers for some GPUs are real nasty here and do stuff they shouldn't. Most of the time it's an issue that can be solved on the Windows side, like various audio drivers are present that interfere in that case.

Also anther well knows symptom is that if you get "stutter" in HDMI audio after a while in more or less fixed intervals (sounds like clicks). In that case the GPU is downclocking too aggressively and that causes loosing audio packets and as soon as it clocked down in decides to clock up again. You see that if audio is decoded on the PC (e.g. MP3 audio) instead of passthru and video is not decoded on the GPU but the GPU of course gets a spike now and then.

Easy to check with a GPU monitor if the GPU has spikes where it clocks up and and down during playback. In this case just raise the threshold for downclocking a bit. Some drivers have very agressive power management settings for some GPUs, so they have better test results when it comes to power consumption. This can cause problems for a HTPC where you basically want all clocks to be as steady as possible during playback..

And the device removal message can be easily check with any software that just monitors the boradcast events windows send to all open applications.

Instead of EDID overrides I usually define custom resolutions anyway on for all AMD GPUs to the TV. They should override any EDID anyway.
(2016-03-15, 16:56)Scythe42 Wrote: Glad to year everything is running stable on your end again.
well, not quite. last night i switched over to the htpc and it was zoomed in again. dang.

(2016-03-15, 16:56)Scythe42 Wrote: When do you loose HDMI audio? It is a similar issue in a lot of software because the HDMI audio device is in the same way removed as the display on Windows when sleeping/resuming (HDMI audio is considered an external device) and depending on how software does this, it might not be able to acquire the correct audio device again.
been losing audio for years, but VERY sporadic. like once every couple months. can't remember the last time, so maybe it was resolved in kodi somehow.

(2016-03-15, 16:56)Scythe42 Wrote: Instead of EDID overrides I usually define custom resolutions anyway on for all AMD GPUs to the TV. They should override any EDID anyway.
how? in CCC?
(2016-03-15, 16:56)Scythe42 Wrote: Instead of EDID overrides I usually define custom resolutions anyway on for all AMD GPUs to the TV. They should override any EDID anyway.
how? in CCC?

CCC -> Your Digtal Displays -> Custom Resolutions. There you can adjust pixel clocks and resolutions.I use this to get as close to 23.976 as possible (beside the calculations CCC does I also check during playback how the software sees it). I have about 1 lost frame every 6 hours of playback.Good enough. Smile

There is also a HDTV support tab, you might want to remove resolutions and refresh rates you do not use or don't want. I remove all the crap that the display supports but I never use, so that basically only the custom resolutions are left.

This stuff overrides/extends what is send via EDID.

To get rid of support for resolutions like 1024x768 (default on your end), you still need and custom monitor.inf of course. I never bothered to remove them, as I do not have any issues due to my HDMI switchbox that is always on and acts as as a proxy (HTPC never sees the real display only the switchbox).

As you still saw the problems I recommend either trying to revisit the registry here under HKCC and set them all to 1920x1080 and see if it makes a difference before digging deeper.

EDIT:

Anyway: I took a look at the code base.

I can fix this in WinEventsWin32.cpp by adding proper handling for a ton of WM messages related to resizing a window, which are all unhandled, meaning default Winodws behaviour like you see it right now.

The main point is WM_DISPLAYCHANGE, but you need to track a lot of other events to keep up with current values (w.g. WM_GETMINMAXINFO, WM_SIZE, WM_SIZING, MV_DEVICECHANGE (various subevents), WM_POWERBROADCAST (various subevents), updating some enumerations, plus a potential advancedsettings to override stuff and ignore any changes and let Windows take care of it. In addition I might need to do some D3D stuff here as well to re-create potential swap chains (haven't looked at that part) - if needed at all. But would be a minor thing.

Yeah, I think I can port the handling and framework for future handling of certain related events from my old MediaPortal patch to Kodi - just a bit of work on the weekends for me and figure out which methods to call from the Window events to instruct Kodi what to do.

As you can fully reproduce the problem on demand, would you be willing to test such a patch a bit for me on your system?

Maybe once every few day for a couple of mins, once I got all the stuff sorted out and finetune it and get rid of the bugs. Just switching out some files and follow a quick checklist. Nothing complex involved here and not much work.

Once finished and more ppl. with issues tested it I can create a PR then and we can see what is left in that area then.

But as said, need someone to work with me here in regards to testing in more complex display chain like you have that shows these problems.

Will take a couple of weeks as my time is a bit limited. But I am willing to work on a PR and I probably will run in this issue for sure when upgrading to 4K here.
I'd be up for helping out with that. Smile
Cool! Smile Appreciate that.

I start on the weekend with solving this issue in the code and probably have something for a 1st test the following week and we take if from there...
sure, why not. my time is also fairly limited, so no rush on my end. guess what, tonight it is back to the super zoomed setting.

fwiw, i keep my hdmi switch on all the time too. it has a CEC mode where it powers on/off, but i disabled it.
Thanks. Any quick testing will help once I patched the code (will start this weekend). Shouldn't be much of an issue beside making sure all basic scenarios are supported given my first inspection of the codebase.

Also created a ticket, so the dev team is aware of the issue and that someone is actively working on providing a patch (http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/16638) to solve this for users experiencing the issue in their setup.
I'm up for testing it as well! This has been driving me crazy since I updated to Kodi 16
I'm having the same issues for an Intel onboard i3 skylake graphics. I've set the desktop to 1920x1080 and gone in on vnc and kodi launches at half that res for some reason.
I guess the patch will take more time than expected =/ Well, not expected too much to solve the issue right away..
Sadly the pin 19 taping trick doesn't work for me. I get no video output after that.
Tried couple times, and I'm positive I had it done properly.
(2016-03-17, 11:22)Scythe42 Wrote: Thanks. Any quick testing will help once I patched the code (will start this weekend). Shouldn't be much of an issue beside making sure all basic scenarios are supported given my first inspection of the codebase.

Also created a ticket, so the dev team is aware of the issue and that someone is actively working on providing a patch (http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/16638) to solve this for users experiencing the issue in their setup.

Is there any way to test this patch?
I can reproduce the problem every time on 4 setups.
Drives me crazy, I know how to fix it, but there is others who simply
stopped using Kodi due to this problem.

Thanks for the time you spent on fixing this problem!
(2016-05-09, 19:57)lifeisfun Wrote:
(2016-03-17, 11:22)Scythe42 Wrote: Thanks. Any quick testing will help once I patched the code (will start this weekend). Shouldn't be much of an issue beside making sure all basic scenarios are supported given my first inspection of the codebase.

Is there any way to test this patch?

Thanks for the time you spent on fixing this problem!

Forget this. This guy saying he could do doesn't mean he will make this PR actually.
Guess he doesn't have time or even wasn't going to spend any time on this issue.

Only if afedchin or FernetMenta can take a look at this closer.

But because dual display setup with Kodi is more of an exception that a rule, I don't think they will spend time on this.
(2016-05-09, 19:57)lifeisfun Wrote: Is there any way to test this patch?
As already pointed out my time is currently very limited. Had no time in last few weeks to finish the patch. Once I have some more free time, hopefully by the end the month I'll finish the remaining parts of the patch.
(2016-05-10, 16:22)Scythe42 Wrote:
(2016-05-09, 19:57)lifeisfun Wrote: Is there any way to test this patch?
As already pointed out my time is currently very limited. Had no time in last few weeks to finish the patch. Once I have some more free time, hopefully by the end the month I'll finish the remaining parts of the patch.

That would make my day!
Thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Screen resolution upset after power cycling TV and AVR0