What to expect from recorded tv playback
Hi,

I have a Raspberry Pi2 with a Media Portal backend running on a networked windows PC - all seems to work really well.

Except, I have some niggly issues with Recorded TV.

Firstly, I have no ability to rewind / pause live TV - I've got the option enabled in TV Server configuration in Media portal - its just that the pause / back buttons in Kodi do nothing.

Secondly, when I play back recorded TV, plays OK, but if I skip forward or backwards several times playback struggles and often the sound is missing - one skip forward or back is OK, but several causes problems to the point where I have to stop and play again.

I do have the occasional problem of my TV signal breaking up (Its DVB-T UK Freeview), whilst this gets recorded, I don't believe it causes any of the playback problems?

I'm interested in hearing from someone with a similar setup - is this just how things are with the Pi2 or should it work flawlessly?

Thanks.
Regarding skipping backwards and forwards, try turning off MPEG2 hardware acceleration in video settings. I haven't tried with Raspberry Pi, but it made a big difference with OpenElec on Linux.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

(Wouldn't turning off hardware acceleration degrade playback in some way?)
Can you ellaborate on where the MPEG2 hardware acceleration is.

In Settings > Videos > acceleration there is only OMXPlayer (which is off) and MMAL (set on on).
(2016-03-03, 23:05)archie456 Wrote: Can you ellaborate on where the MPEG2 hardware acceleration is.

In Settings > Videos > acceleration there is only OMXPlayer (which is off) and MMAL (set on on).

Ah, maybe this doesn't apply to the Pi. Did you purchase a MPEG2 codec?
Yes, looking at my config file (i bought them a while ago!) I have MPG2 and WVC1.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but should be able to pause live tv and skip forward back with a Raspberry Pi2? or is this some like of limitation with the Pi2?
Using OpenElec on a PC with hardware acceleration, skipping forward/back is not good. I haven't used my Pi much recently, so I can't comment on that, but is might be worth disabling hardware acceleration (remove the MPEG2 key) and seeing if is makes a difference.

I'm only guessing based on experience with PC.
I removed the licence keys for MP2 and VC-1.

There is still no difference with live TV, I cant pause it or rewind it - though when playing back a recording I can skip forward and back better.

I've noticed that when playing back an MP4 skipping forward 30 seconds is ok, but if I skip back multiple 30 seconds the video struggles to keep up with the audio and it can take about 10 seconds sometimes to synchronise - I think this problem existed before I removed the licence keys though.

Any thoughts - I'm wondering if overclocking might help?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What to expect from recorded tv playback0