• 7(current)
Pi2 owners upgrading?
Good points @ZwartePiet
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Who has RPI 3?
Please, testing 6 HEVC files different bitrate. How well they play, smoothly or not? Wink
HEVC files there: https://yadi.sk/d/RWs7WnpEpAd8d
I plan on upgrading when volumio gets a public build either in beta or stable channels.
(2016-03-22, 08:39)blackride Wrote: Please, testing 6 HEVC files different bitrate. How well they play, smoothly or not? Wink

There has been no acceleration to 10-bit or 12-bit HEVC, so 5 of your samples won't work (one of the labelled 8-bit files way actually 10-bit).
The actual 8-bit file has frame drops.
Hi,I've a RPi 3 running Kodi on Jarvis and Openelec. It crashes on both.An icon labelled CORE has appered in Jarvis and if opened in text editor says ESS.
Kodi works pretty good on two RPi 2 boards.
(2016-03-03, 03:47)jebise Wrote: Just curious to see if any Pi2 owners are upgrading to the Pi3? 50% speed boots is nice but I feel the Pi is fast enough as is so what are your other reasons to upgrade?

I like being able to boot via network and USB and maybe 1080P@60fps but not sure if it's worth the $50, yes about that much for where I live.

The Pi2 is 900mhz, and Pi3 is 1200mhz. that's a 30% increase, not 50%. Still a needed boost though. I'm more interested in the video clock being boosted from 250mhz to 400mhz. That should make streaming videos play a bit smoother. As for the onboard wifi and bluetooth though... my Pi's mounted in a gutted atx psu case, along with external hd... wifi and bluetooth signals aren't going to work through a metal case. But like I said.. the video clock's the biggest feature for me.
(2016-03-22, 19:29)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-03-22, 08:39)blackride Wrote: Please, testing 6 HEVC files different bitrate. How well they play, smoothly or not? Wink

There has been no acceleration to 10-bit or 12-bit HEVC, so 5 of your samples won't work (one of the labelled 8-bit files way actually 10-bit).
The actual 8-bit file has frame drops.

Are you have RPI 3 or is it just a theory?
He has one. He works for the Raspberry Pi Foundation :)
(2016-03-23, 04:51)greenbag Wrote: The Pi2 is 900mhz, and Pi3 is 1200mhz. that's a 30% increase, not 50%.

And the architectural improvements of the A53 processor over the A7 provide another 20%.
To be honest the 50% boost is a modest claim. Perhaps read some benchmarks.

Note the Pi3 has double the neon performance of Pi2 (as well as the clock boost) which has a big impact of video/audio decode.
Pi3 can decode 1080p MPEG-2 in software for example, which Pi2 is nowhere near to being able to do.
popcornmix,
RPI3 will never play hevc 1080p 10/12 bit?
(2016-03-23, 14:56)blackride Wrote: popcornmix,
RPI3 will never play hevc 1080p 10/12 bit?

No promises. We will work on improving 10/12 bit HEVC, but it's too early to say what the performance will be.
Hummmm started out in this with 2 pi-1's with HDhomeRun and HD was jerky Sad Then Pi-2 came out HD is now smooth Smile so purchased 5 of them !
Whole home setup Smile Would I get pi-3 ? NOPE not enough upgrade for me to get rid of my pi-2's $$$$$$$ I still on occasion see a little buffering streaming on my gig network ! But its rare...... The only thing left on my Ethernet that is 10/100 is my pi-2's.

When Pi comes out with gig nic then it will be worth while to upgrade again !
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
WD MyCloud 24TB over Netgear network | 6500 movies and 40,000+ TV Show episodes
Used one of my RPi2s to make a landline robocall blocker, so I ordered a replacement RPi3 for LibreElec.
I was seeing temps of around 65c watching HVEC files, and while that is just fine, it is well above the RPi2 temps.

I ordered some heat sinks (from china, delivery to US was about a week and a half) http://www.ebay.com/itm/191459271874

The idle temp dropped about a degree and a half, and HVEC viewing dropped about 8c, so while it might not matter, it makes me more comfortable.
Disclaimer, my RPi3 is mounted behind my TV and is not in a case. My air conditioner is set to 76f / 24c, and the room has a ceiling fan on low.

Edit* forgot to mention that my RPi3 is overclocked:
Code:
[pi3]
arm_freq=1300
core_freq=500
gpu_freq=500
dtparam=sd_overclock=83
over_voltage=2
sdram_freq=580
over_voltage_sdram=5
sdram_schmoo=0x02000020
I live in a Pi filled house. I have 4 Pi2s and 2 Pi3s. The biggest benefit of the Pi3 is the built in wireless. A pet rabbit chews through the ethernet cable: No Problem. Stick a Pi3 on the tv. I use the Flicr case and have had no problem with wireless even though I live in a large house with a repeater. I honestly can't tell a difference in video quality between the Pi2 and Pi3 so that is not a reason to upgrade IMHO.
Just bought a RPi3, switching from RPi2. I'm using the official red/white case this time. Idle temps are very high in my opinion. kodi.bin sits at ~8% CPU usage while idling in the menu and with the case closed I have ~59c. With a open case it drops to 52c.
I had like 38-42c with the RPi2 idling in the menu. This seems excessive.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pi2 owners upgrading?1