v16 How do you access mounted USB storage devices in Kodi on Nvidia Shield TV?
I have a Nvidia Shield TV and a USB flash drive. It's formatted in FAT32 because I can't get my Shield TV to read NTFS or exFAT. The USB flash drive mounts and reads/writes just fine with ES File Explorer. It also shows up in SETTINGS > STORAGE/RESET on the Nvidia Shield TV.

However, I have no idea where to find it when I'm in Kodi? Even when I'm in MOVIES or TV SHOWS in Kodi and navigate up the hierarchy to FOLDERS, no mounted USB storage appears and usually it does.

I would like to run some backups and save them on an USB flash drive.

Anyone else having these issues?
Im currently having this exact issue. Would also love some help
Did you check VIDEO-FILES?
It should show up as an external source.

If it doesn't, try SPMC.
(2016-04-29, 07:48)Koying Wrote: Did you check VIDEO-FILES?

If it doesn't, try SPMC.

Hi Koying! I'm actually setting up a new Nvidia Shield Android TV. I have the latest SPMC 16.6 installed. When I go into VIDEOS:FILES I can see the external USB drives, but I just don't know how to browse to them when creating a source?

Inside FILE BROWSER:FILES I see:
  • External storage
  • Network File System (NFS)
  • Root filesystem
  • SAP streams
  • UPnP devices
  • Video playlists
  • Windows network (SMB)
  • Zeroconf browser

But, I can't find the external USB drives inside any of those locations?

I can confirm that the drives are mounted because ES File Explorer can view and browse them. They also show up in Shield's Settings>Storage.

Could it be that Kodi is not compatible with Android's new SAF?

https://developer.android.com/guide/topi...vider.html
(2017-03-16, 04:01)NeoDuck Wrote:
(2016-04-29, 07:48)Koying Wrote: Did you check VIDEO-FILES?

If it doesn't, try SPMC.

Hi Koying! I'm actually setting up a new Nvidia Shield Android TV. I have the latest SPMC 16.6 installed. When I go into VIDEOS:FILES I can see the external USB drives, but I just don't know how to browse to them when creating a source?

Inside FILE BROWSER:FILES I see:
  • External storage
  • Network File System (NFS)
  • Root filesystem
  • SAP streams
  • UPnP devices
  • Video playlists
  • Windows network (SMB)
  • Zeroconf browser

But, I can't find the external USB drives inside any of those locations?

I can confirm that the drives are mounted because ES File Explorer can view and browse them. They also show up in Shield's Settings>Storage.

Could it be that Kodi is not compatible with Android's new SAF?

https://developer.android.com/guide/topi...vider.html

I am having the same exact issue running the same setup and configuration and spent considerable time trying to figure this out, but ending up feeling like a rat in a maze..Confused

My 1TB USB 3.0 storage is exFAT formatted. Any advice would be appreciated!

Regards,
Ed Janx
(2017-03-29, 05:03)edjanx Wrote: I am having the same exact issue running the same setup and configuration and spent considerable time trying to figure this out, but ending up feeling like a rat in a maze..Confused

My 1TB USB 3.0 storage was originally formatted NTFS, then reformatted by Shield TV as system storage. Any advice would be appreciated!

Regards,
Ed Janx

So, here's what I did to resolve this issue: You can't.

Instead, just pull up the context menu on the ext HDD mount itself and set its content. Don't bother creating a source for the ext HDD.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do you access mounted USB storage devices in Kodi on Nvidia Shield TV?1