Icons Resolution?
Whats the resolution of the the icons when AppTV is set in icon mode. Would like to add some icons for shows/music playlists/etc. And have them match with default icons in size and probably color patlette.
Also whats the resolution for the shelf image, would like to customize that as well.
Nevermind about the icons, found the photos on the GitHub, downloaded them and looked at res size and found them to be 256x144. But as for the shelf and regular background all I could find was 16x16 sized images for them. Is that a bug or something cause I figured the background would be 1920x1080, well actually since skin is only 720 would be 1280x720. Or did you size them like that for a specific reason?
(2016-03-05, 10:22)CarsonGallo Wrote: Nevermind about the icons, found the photos on the GitHub, downloaded them and looked at res size and found them to be 256x144. But as for the shelf and regular background all I could find was 16x16 sized images for them. Is that a bug or something cause I figured the background would be 1920x1080, well actually since skin is only 720 would be 1280x720. Or did you size them like that for a specific reason?
Carson,

You are labouring under a couple of misunderstanding there. Yes, 256x144 is the correct sizing for the Icon Home screen icons. Most important thing there is the ratio rather than the sizing. For your home screen icons (but not the shelf area icons) as long as your custom icons that you assign to your home items maintain the above ratio, they will display correctly. To maintain the best resolution for your icons you can size them to maintain the ratio and make the size suit your current resolution.

This leads on to another misunderstanding on your part. The skin is coded to natively display at 720p, so the code assums a display of that size. But, and this is the important part, Kodi will render the skin at the resolution you have set your screen at. So if you have selected a 1080p screen size in Kodi settings, Kodi will scale the skin to 1080p. So why have I writen the skin in 720p when I could just as easily write it for 1080p. Two reasons really. First reason, because if the user is running on a system at 720p there is no need to scale and so is a little lighter on the system and its resources (and so the lighter weight systems in theory have an easier time of it). And second reason is that the scale from 720 to 1080 is a 50% increase and so is an easy one to perform.

And your final misunderstanding is why are some images only 16x16, should they not be the size of your screen?
Well, this comes down to the fact that the GPU can scale images to the size required by the skin fairly quickly and at virtually no cost to me in terms of speed. If on the other hand I had included an image file at the size I required, the CPU needs to load a very large file and decode it into memory. Now if I have a background that is one colour over the entire screen, why have the system load a large file that takes a long time when I can use a small one that loads a shed load quicker and then have the GPU scale it for me at very little cost. Also why 16x16 when in theory I could just use a 1x1 image instead? Any image I include in the skins media directory is compressed into a .xbt file that Kodi can load quicker than a series of individual image files. The files pack better if they are sized to a power of 2 sizing and the packer program has a limitation that it can only pack files 4x4 or larger. I use 16x16 just to make sure I don't run into any issues.

Hope that makes some sort of sense. Oh BTW, please don't post e-mails to my github account (or pull request etc). It's not that I really mind, but I visit the forums here at least once a day and it could be a while between visits to the github page for me. And once again, if you post here, other people can get something from the question and answer where if you post to github or PM me, you are the only one to see the reply.

Wyrm (AppTV)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
Gotcha, thanks for the info, makes sense.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Icons Resolution?0