Solved Why no RK support (Rockchip)?
Please could the developers answer this:
Why do you not add the commit into the KODI code to fix Rockchip support once and for all? You (the developers of Kodi) are causing a rift in the support community and instead of taking the fixes and writing it into sustainable code, reject it outright.
  • RK Chips are rife in the market.
  • Fixes (3 of them) have been puplished and you have been informed of said fixes.
  • Other platforms, with similar problems, are supported, but the RK is being rejected outright.

Please could you once and for all sort this out? We, the users, have to keep looking into "forks" of Kodi to get Kodi working and it is not right! Android TV Boxes are here to stay and causing a rift is being near-sighted.

Zidoo has been nice enough to make their code available and it is basically 3 fixes, namely:
  1. Fix auto refresh display rate
  2. Rockchip Audio passthrough patch
  3. Add RK modification
The commits are available here: https://github.com/zidootech/zidoo-kodi-...368-16.0b4
PLEASE be fair and start supporting one of the fastest selling products.

kind regards
cyber7 (aka Aubrey Kloppers; Cape Town; South Africa)
We no longer support manufacturer specific hacks as it just created a code mess, from now on all SoC vendors will have to use the standard Android API's if they want Kodi to run on their hardware.
My writing to Kodi https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-sellers-a...ment-75651 :

@Nathan Betzen:
you guys from Kodi seem to target the wrong builders and alienating support structures so desperately needed in the Kodi code.

The problem is that you are targeting builders not involved in advertising piracy under the "cloak" of your so-called attack on piracy.

Case in point: You have forced the builders of Zidoo to remove the name Kodi and fork a build for the RK chips, although NEVER involved in piracy! You refuse to pull the RK chip fixes into the Kodi code, alienating the smaller box-builders away from the Kodi code. This is in error and I find this totally short-sighted on the side of Kodi. Just because you do not want to support one of the fastest growing Kodi markets, you are loosing some of the finest fixes available today.

Please re-evaluate your attitude towards not only legitimate code, but also legitimate builders...
(2016-03-05, 16:37)jjd-uk Wrote: We no longer support manufacturer specific hacks as it just created a code mess, from now on all SoC vendors will have to use the standard Android API's if they want Kodi to run on their hardware.

So, is Intel/AMD and all the other chip makers also covered by this "attitude"?
Zidoo x6 pro works fine with official kodi 16 and mediacodec decoding. Even 4k/hevc plays fine.
Yes, just look at how Nvidia got Kodi working with the Shield, they've made use of the standard Android API's and where where something was missing they worked with Google to get it added, thus requiring zero stuff from us specific to the Shield.
Those fixes can cause bugs/issues with other parts of the code. It's not a black and white situation, and these "fixes" are not being rejected out of hand. The situation is not what you seem to think it is.
@cyber7, I'd like to hear more about the fixes you are talking about at

https://github.com/zidootech/zidoo-kodi-...368-16.0b4

Is there a discussion about this, about how to apply the changes and how well they work? I have a RK3368 and even though I wiped it and put on Kodi 16 the techs seem to think it's a pirate box so it's difficult to get questions answered.
Zidoo has a nice FAQ/Forum/Download section with everything you ask. I know that when you extract the firmware you will get to the zdmc.apk (customized Kodi) with the fixes compiled.

Extract and install.
(2016-03-06, 05:43)deaded Wrote: @cyber7, I'd like to hear more about the fixes you are talking about at

https://github.com/zidootech/zidoo-kodi-...368-16.0b4

Is there a discussion about this, about how to apply the changes and how well they work? I have a RK3368 and even though I wiped it and put on Kodi 16 the techs seem to think it's a pirate box so it's difficult to get questions answered.

Zidoo Kodi adds the following features that don't work with official Kodi 16 on RK3368 devices.
1. HD Audio pass-through support - With a little modification it can be merged with official Kodi if Kodi Team would look at it. It also needs the latest firmware for your RK3368 device that have Mediacodec API changes to make the pass-through work. Currently Zidoo X6 and Nagrace RK3368 devices have such firmware.

2. RockchipCodec support for playing high bit-rate 4K local movies. This plays much better than Mediacodec Surface and is a lot smoother. This doesn't need to be merged with official Kodi and Mediacodec Surface that is used by Kodi also work great on these RK3368 devices, it's just 4K >50mbps bit-rate videos that struggle a bit with Mediacodec Surface rendering.

3. Auto frame-rate switching for video playback.
This is still a problem on lots of Android devices and this fixes it really well for RK3368 devices.

1 & 3 doesn't need any device specific code and can be modified so it doesn't interfere with any other Kodi platform or device and can provide fixes for all RK3368 devices(with the latest firmware). 2 is not used by Kodi anymore as they adapted Mediacodec Surface rendering, so I understand this will never make it into official Kodi, but this is not a problem.

Here is a discussion about ZDMC
http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/...ease.1133/
Kodi already has HD audio passthrough support using the official Android API's so there should be no need for any Kodi modification, so long as the SoC vendors stick to the proper API's.
But I do want my refresh rate thing fixed for movies
Then you must complain to rockchip to implement it according to the official Android API as we will not include hacks for every chipset.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-03-07, 02:12)deaded Wrote: But I do want my refresh rate thing fixed for movies

Your box manufacturer being lazy is to blame. Not Kodi.
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
(2016-03-07, 16:10)danjames92 Wrote:
(2016-03-07, 02:12)deaded Wrote: But I do want my refresh rate thing fixed for movies

Your box manufacturer being lazy is to blame. Not Kodi.

Yeah, yeah, I got that. Everyone keeps telling me that. It does't help. I'm not going to buy another IDROIDNATION box, but I'd still like to figure out how I can get my video to play smoothly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why no RK support (Rockchip)?1