• 3(current)
[Release] Meta video search addon
(2016-03-11, 23:56)RavRob Wrote: I finally got it installed as well a couple of players. I see movies pop up when I search but no way to play anything. I click on it or press C or press I all I get is the info screen popping up.

I had to create a folder called Players in Kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.meta
There were no such folder so I created it and put the players in it.

What else am I missing?

Steps to get players working;
1. Open the addon menu and set the Players URL to http://tinyurl.com/jqcev34
2. Select "Install form URL"
3. "Enable movie players" and "Enable TV players"

Repeat step 3 everytime you edit/add players to the Players folder.

Hope that helps Smile
Thanks loki
I had set the selector to one player. Putting it back to selector fixed my problems.
Is there a chance you might add trakt support for this? It is awesome as it is and I hate to ask but it would be a nice feature if movies/tv shows would be marked as watched.

Thanks.
1.0.5 released with a fix to the clearname parameter.

@RavRob The addon is compatible with script.trakt so as long as script.trakt is installed anything you watch from the addon or your library will be marked as watched on trakt. I'm not sure if the opposite holds but at least marking library items should be a feature of script.trakt and not Meta.
Getting an error trying to play the TV show "Vikings". May be another clear name bug...

Possibly a stupid question, but for TV shows added to library with Meta will new episodes be scraped automatically?
Go ahead and submit a bug report on github (link in OP) with a log. And of course new episodes are added automatically (checked every 8 hours IIRC).
Thanks, have done!
Been doing a TON of testing and the only issue I can find after the last update is with numbers after episode titles tends to kill the search. Any two part episodes fail so we may need something like {cleartitle} for episode names. The other thing that would be nice but not a bug is that using Aeon Nox (and I'm assuming other skins) when Meta is searching there is a lot of screen flashing/view changing until it is finished. I don't know if it's possible but throwing up the Meta fanart or something behind the dialog window until the search finishes would make the process "seem" cleaner.

Thanks again! Big Grin
Why do you care about episode titles? Maching by number is enough. I think catching it with .*$${episode}$$.* would be best in most cases, or just {episode} if the add-on is nice and sets the episode info label. I haven't seen any addon that only shows titles without setting the info label.

The flashing is because these addons change views automatically (and Meta sets it back to your current view every time). I'll see if it's possible to add a fanart window behind the dialog (don't want to change the dialog itself to window because it's themable according to the skin).
I don't care at all about titles, I just found one case where it doesn't return the players properly.
Check out Doctor Who, a bunch of episodes in the current series are in two parts and have (1) and (2) behind the title so the only player that is returned is Quasar but if you search a standalone episode it returns all of the installed players.
I think that's because the player you wrote is matching by episode titles.
In that case it can simply just.. not Wink

Did you specify {title} in a step? If so just drop it and match just by episode numbers as I suggested in my previous post. if you don't know if an addon sets the {season} and {episode} info labels, you can see it in `Media info' view of confluence (it would show "Episode: SxE" on the right panel if the info-labels are set). You can specify the following step to match by both of these info-labels: "{season}x{episode}".

Edit:
I'm interested to know if it was hard to write a meta-player, which steps are not clear enough or require programming knowledge? (although it won't be optimal, a *working* meta-player should be easy to make even without looking at the target addon's code). Also, meta-players for legal addons are welcome, if anyone cares to write one for Amazon prime it would be awesome because I can't access that addon in my region.
Got it! I will give that a shot when I have some time. Smile

As for how hard it was to write the players, I can build a website and I get some of the basics but I'm a novice. I was getting hung up on syntax, I dug in and found the "link" address to be able to search (I had already been messing with this with the Super Favorites iSearch) but was putting my "action" at the end of my steps inside the [ ] so I just got errors. Fortunately I ran into a thread on reddit where a guy wrote a bunch of players so I've been mostly testing and helping him refine the player code.

I usually take a wait and see approach with addons (I had been using xbmc for years before I even joined the forum!) but Meta is something I've wanted forever and something I think our community needs. None of the addon developers get paid around here and I think a lot of the community seems to forget that so when an addon breaks (website changes, auth changes, whatever) and the dev can't get to it right away people start screaming. I've seen a lot of devs stop development over the years because of the demands of the community (the crap boxes being sold on amazon don't help either!). I also get the other side when you have integrated an addon into your library and it suddenly stops that sucks. With an addon like Meta other devs can just ignore library integration (or make it a low priority) and if something breaks in their addon and they just don't have time to fix it immediately the user can just use a different addon until it's fixed and hopefully not freak out in the forums! In fact yesterday I went to watch a CBS show and USTV VoD didn't pop up (I checked and the CBS directory in the addon wasn't working) so I used a different addon, later that evening my girlfriend went to watch a CBS show and USTV VoD came right up and worked great! the devs had already fixed the issue. I'm assuming most of us have other people who use our Kodi setups and when accessing streaming content it's going to fail sometimes so an addon like Meta just smooths out the experience by presenting all of the options in one place. Hopefully if Meta is embraced by the community it will reduce stress on all sides, streaming addons come and go so if people aren't as reliant on a single addon (hopefully) they won't put so much pressure on the devs who do a TON of work for free and we the users have no idea whats going on in their lives. </rant>

TL;DR Thank you for building the addon and I think it's good for the community in general Cool
Wow this is truly an incredible game-changing add-on.

How does the cacheing work? Is it cleared automatically at a particular time interval? If not, could this be introduced, or perhaps a setting to clear cache on Kodi startup/shutdown?
Main cache holds items for up to 1 hour.
Some undocumented case corner: if you need to specify "{some text}" in a link you must write it as "{{some text}}", otherwise Meta would mistakenly interpret it as a parameter.

Also, in some cases it may be possible to figure out a link directly to the media (or to a links directory) - tough unless the target addon supports library integration it would require python knowledge. This is of course preferred to matching using many steps.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Meta video search addon3