KODI on RPi2 just rocks!
WOOOWW. Using KODI/OpenELEC on my RPi2 combined with a savvy 6 TB external hdd. What a value for money!!!! Never ever been that satisfied with a software-hardware combo as with this setup. Runs perfectly. Fast, great UI (Confluence with video scraping configured nicely), top notch. So many additional options (upnp, samba network access, ...). BIG compliments to all the developers and community! Great example for any commercial offering.
Regards and thanks for your help, CM
(2016-03-09, 23:55)ClenMaster Wrote: WOOOWW. Using KODI/OpenELEC on my RPi2 combined with a savvy 6 TB external hdd. What a value for money!!!! Never ever been that satisfied with a software-hardware combo as with this setup. Runs perfectly. Fast, great UI (Confluence with video scraping configured nicely), top notch. So many additional options (upnp, samba network access, ...). BIG compliments to all the developers and community! Great example for any commercial offering.

Here! Here!

It just goes to show how good Kodi is compared to some if the commercial media centre products on the market. I haven't found anything close to Kodi either in terms of functionality or performance.
I went through a lot of media players (all had some issues) and ended up with the RPi2 running OSMC (I started with OpenELEC). There is nothing better out there that is that cheap and runs that well.
I don't know of ANY commercial solutions for PC that function as a media center.
I second this.. I have several Android boxes and have tried KODI on a range of things.. nothing beats the RPi2.

Great hardware, low cost and tons of support for it here.
Not only is Kodi the best media center software, it also has an incredibly great community. That goes for both the users and the developers. Smile
Never got the whole Openelec hype since its basicly a busybox with minimal influence rather have a distro that i can mess around with underneath the hood my current distro of choice is OSMC since i can add more features out of the box into my distro like retrogaming sure its possible under openelec to some extent but not as smooth plus if i get an idea its harder with just that busybox to do cool stuff like have nodejs with a virtual gamepad..

as for the RPI2 sure great hardware really dont see the reason for RPI3 since it didnt bring that much new to the table rather wait for something thats more powerful since the RPI2 really holds its own.
If a RaspberryPi with H.265/HEVC hardware decoding comes out that would be worth it.
I still have the RaspberryPi 1 Model B+ with a moderate overclock and it does alright.
I have the first RPi with 512 MB ram and the RPi3. They're both great little boards that can run Kodi with 1080p content. I've been looking into H.265/HEVC and for my needs I just don't think it's quite there yet, so personally I wouldn't even worry about it. If and when it becomes the default, there will be a plethora of devices and probably a new RPi that will do the job without any issue. At this time though, I don't think it's something that really brings that much to the table besides saving you disk space. I guess I'm old fashioned, but I still think 1080p and even 720p looks good. Smile
This is my layman's mans understanding ..

H.265/HEVC is just a compression standard to deal with 4K content to reduce bandwidth / filesize

Yes, i agree 1080p, 720p still looks "good" but that is relative to the Screen Size and Distance you're watching it on / at

eg. 720p looks fine on my 42" TV ... not so good on my friends 65" TV at the same viewing distance
Do you mean layman's understanding?
Now I know where the word layman comes from Big Grin
I Love my Pi-1 and Pi-2's I never have to worry about running out of room on my SD unlike those cheap Chinese Android knock offs ! That can't handle the size of my Library Smile But I always keep getting slammed the Androids are better.
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
WD MyCloud 24TB over Netgear network | 6500 movies and 40,000+ TV Show episodes
I'm wondering if OUT-of-ROOM on my SD card is my library create error?
Would someone please look at this post and give me your suggestions on THAT posting [ie; not here].

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=264373

Thanks in advance, Jim
System Stats:
RPi 2B, 8gb SD, Reformatted for this new install.
LibreELEC (official) v 8.0.2 [kernel: Linux 4.9.29]
from NOOBS v2.4.2 on 7/19/17
Official RPi foundation 7" touchscreen
Kodi 17.3; Skin = Estouchy
The Pi connects USB wireless to Home WiFi EA4500 router
Home network: Netgear 104 9TB NAS as \\storage\

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI on RPi2 just rocks!0