Best setup for me?
Hi All,

Looking at sorting out a good Kodi setup.

I want one which can basically use SABNZBD as well as run Kodi, is any Android box capable of doing this or would I need a separate RPi and something else?

Thanks
You've left out probably a dozen details.

What does "good" mean?
What will you be watching? 1080? 4k? etc...?
Concerned about Hz?
Wired? Wireless?
2.0? 2.1? 5.1? 7.1?
Budget?
Probably more I'm not thinking of..
Your mentioning SABNZBD so I'm guessing you are going to use Sonarr or the equivalent to feed SABNZBD? FYI, that's a taboo topic around here.

But on point, you want a box that will do the downloading AND run Kodi to play what's downloaded?

Maybe others can chime in, but generally I think that's left to two separate devices. One to run Kodi and play your media, and then the other device to "obtain" your media. I would think you would need more of a media PC to do all of that running windows. Don't know of an android box that does all of that but maybe others can chime in.

But from what I know, it's best to do that on separate devices. And on the Kodi part, as Samspon mentioned, what are you watching, what are your requirements, most importantly your connectivity from the box to TV, receiver, etc.
(2016-03-12, 01:42)bigjess007 Wrote: Your mentioning SABNZBD so I'm guessing you are going to use Sonarr or the equivalent to feed SABNZBD? FYI, that's a taboo topic around here.

But on point, you want a box that will do the downloading AND run Kodi to play what's downloaded?

Maybe others can chime in, but generally I think that's left to two separate devices. One to run Kodi and play your media, and then the other device to "obtain" your media. I would think you would need more of a media PC to do all of that running windows. Don't know of an android box that does all of that but maybe others can chime in.

But from what I know, it's best to do that on separate devices. And on the Kodi part, as Samspon mentioned, what are you watching, what are your requirements, most importantly your connectivity from the box to TV, receiver, etc.

Nah. I've done it for years on my bedroom rig. Simple Windows box with SickBeard automatically grabbing NZBs and putting them in one folders, then SabNZBd is setup to import and grab anything that's dropped in that directory. Thus the NZBs and downloads are all automated. Kodi is setup to auto refresh the TV Shows library every time it opens, that way everything done within Kodi automatically and requires noting from me. Took a while to set up, but it's been running that way for about 4 years now.
Cheers both,

Mainly 1080p, wired, Hz? 2.1 sound

Budget approx £150ish

I was thinking an all in one rig would be best.
(2016-03-12, 03:14)sampson Wrote: Nah. I've done it for years on my bedroom rig. Simple Windows box with SickBeard automatically grabbing NZBs and putting them in one folders, then SabNZBd is setup to import and grab anything that's dropped in that directory. Thus the NZBs and downloads are all automated. Kodi is setup to auto refresh the TV Shows library every time it opens, that way everything done within Kodi automatically and requires noting from me. Took a while to set up, but it's been running that way for about 4 years now.

Ya I know with a windows box you can do an all in one. But he mentioned Android, that's why I said ummmm I don't think anyone's doing all of that on android.

(2016-03-12, 23:47)hr21 Wrote: Cheers both,

Mainly 1080p, wired, Hz? 2.1 sound

Budget approx £150ish

I was thinking an all in one rig would be best.

Well, those aren't tough requirements, so you can definitely find a windows box to be an all in one. Sounds like sampson can give you a good blueprint. I'm still for separate boxes though. One to play the media, another to serve it to the player.
Something as simple as a raspberry pi can do what hr21 is asking. However, I'd suggest a chromebox (or similiar) with kodibuntu or openelec (I think there is an add on with SABNZBD)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best setup for me?0