v16 Freeze after some idle time on Windows 10 Pro
Just to be specific on my video configuration (related to Kodi freeze-up after idle time):

Win Os 8.0
Video card : Nvidia GF8800GTS
Video output: Display 1 DVI to 1280x1024 monitor @ 1280x1024/60 "other apps control"
- Display 2 (windows primary) DVI to HDMI to Denon AVR HDMI to 1920x1080p monitor @1080p/60 "other apps control"
Video driver set: 287.64

Windows in extended desktop mode.
System does not enter sleep nor hibernate power modes. Logged-on user (administrators group) does not log-off nor windows enter screensaver mode. Display 1 set to turn off after 2 hours.

After a long idle time, system is turned on by powering up AVR and 1080p tv (monitor). Windows wakes up display 1 and then properly displays the extended desktop on display 1 and 2 (Kodi is full screen window on display 2). (Note: in prior Kodi versions I would sometimes get the "Kodi restores "too large" to fit on display" issue but haven't seen that in Kodi 16.)

scott s.
FireStarter app if you can double click to get to Kodi you have FireStarter; do the following.FTV HOME SCREEN< SETTINGS< APPS< MANAGE APPS < LAUNCH FIRE STARTER< UPDATES< UPDATE KODI TO RC (RELEASE CANDIDATE) A choice to update should come across the screen to update Help make it easy to ride the Kodi Wave. Auto update choice forwards or backwards by version would be awesomeSmileSmileSmile @2BReality Android
Oke. Problem solved with either:

a. Plex Home Theatre (with plex server)
b. Swap my i5 for RPi 3... bit cheaper too

I choose b because my wife doesn't like (visual) changes. I preferred a.
After googling this issue - it lead me here!

Other than binning off Kodi for Plex - was this issue ever solved? I am experiencing this exact problem.

Intel i5 / 16gb RAM / nVidia GT7xx card / Windows 10 Home / HDMI to LG TV.

During operation - no issues at all. After idle for a few hours = CTRL/ALT/DEL and Kodi End Task is the only way to get it back again.

With so many reports, surely this is a Kodi issue? Any help for this one appreciated!
For as far as I know, it hasn't. Although I haven't used it for a while. Didn't some updates fixed it?
Well it certainly isnt fixed in 16 - running some tests in 17 now, hopefully its sorted in Krypton...
If it has, please let us know
I have Krypton beta installed and I was having the same issue for the last month or so, all of a sudden with no changes it hasn't happened in the last few days. Either way just thought people might want to know that it can happen with 17.x as well.
Hi,
I too got here by googling - so here are my 2 cents for future googlers:

Like OP, my Kodi has been freezing when left idle for a long time (usually overnight - watch TV, go to sleep, next day "Kodi has stopped working" message). This happened both on Kodi 16 (regular installation) and on 17/17.1 (from the windows store).
In both cases the solution has been very simple for me:
in Kodi, go to Settings>System>Power Saving and disable "Put display to sleep when idle".

If I remember correctly, this happens due to a conflict between Kodi's and Windows' power saving attempts.

Hope this helps anyone else.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Freeze after some idle time on Windows 10 Pro0