Looking to hire a dev for a simple Kodi add-on
Hey guys.

I'm trying to find someone to develop a fairly basic Kodi add-on for my website.

I've posted the add-on request in here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=264013 but that sub-forum is not very popular so I was hoping to give it more exposure by posting in here as well.

I don't expect anyone to do waste their time on this for free.

Anyone interested to work on this with me?

P.S. Sorry for posting in 2 sub-forums for the same thing!
It's only been a day, I wouldn't expect an answer for something like that in such a short period of time. You may have to be patient, this isn't exactly a forum for hiring developers - on that note you may have better luck going through channels that exclusively hire developers.
Do you have any documentation for your API?

BTW, for security reasons, I wouldn't recommend using login/pass to your site in a Kodi addon at all. It's better to use some king of access tokens generated ad hoc for each user who want to use this addon.
The service that'll accept the calls from the Kodi add-on is yet to be written - but it shouldn't be a concern at all.

The add-on just need to POST the data it collects from the library to an external, https url - in the easiest way for the developer.

I'll then take care of parsing and making use of that data (imdb, thetvdb, themoviedb ids, watched status + season/episode info for episodes).

The only thing the add-on will read from the service after every POST will be if it's success or a failure (for example for wrong username/pass).

I'll think about the security aspect of it, but for now - the simplest way is best - once we have something working - I'll be able to get in and help with the code as well and change stuff like the authentication method.
(2016-03-14, 09:18)santah Wrote: The service that'll accept the calls from the Kodi add-on is yet to be written - but it shouldn't be a concern at all.

The add-on just need to POST the data it collects from the library to an external, https url - in the easiest way for the developer.

I'll then take care of parsing and making use of that data (imdb, thetvdb, themoviedb ids, watched status + season/episode info for episodes).

The only thing the add-on will read from the service after every POST will be if it's success or a failure (for example for wrong username/pass).

I might do it, but I need at least API specs.

What about polling some limited info as well? For example, items watched status to sync between several devices/apps?

Regarding security, I don't like the idea of storing login/pass in addon settings because they are stored there in plain text. Some obfuscation methods, like base64 encoding, can be used, but they help only against a causal peek. Python is inherently an open-source language, so we'll need some other authentication system for "production" use. Individual access tokens may be the simplest, at least at the client's side.

Just FYI: I actually use your site.Smile
(2016-03-14, 13:28)Roman_V_M Wrote: Just FYI: I actually use your site.Smile

Hah, nice Smile

We could one way hash the password and store the hash only (and pass that to the service). That'd be secure enough for a tool like that?

I'll write the API around the way you prefer to post the data in (thetvdb id, season, episode, watched status etc).

All this is for the very first version of the add-on so we can put it out and gather some feedback and see what else can be added and useful.

Once we have the first version - I'll be able to jump in and contribute to the code as well. And yea, polling watched status for syncing across multiple devices is definitely going to be an option.

Let's get in touch through email ([email protected]) or something to discuss this in further detail? Or do you prefer in here?
(2016-03-14, 13:49)santah Wrote:
(2016-03-14, 13:28)Roman_V_M Wrote: Just FYI: I actually use your site.Smile

Hah, nice Smile

We could one way hash the password and store the hash only (and pass that to the service). That'd be secure enough for a tool like that?

Not sure if this will be convenient for an end-user. But let's discuss specific details over the mail.
Great. Waiting for your email then! (as I don't have yours and can't reach out first).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to hire a dev for a simple Kodi add-on1