Revert Krypton change limiting volume steps to 20
I apologise I can't just put my hands on the original PR, but I'd like to request the reversion of the recent change that limits the number of volume steps to 20.

As I vaguely remember from the PR, one of its references to why it should be included is that most TV's don't include anywhere near the number of volume steps as Kodi currently does. In my case, the bedroom TV (where we first noticed the reduced number and found issue with it) has 60 steps by default. The lounge tv, where admittedly we have no issue with the update, has 40. To say that tv's don't provide the same number of steps is obviously fallacious.

More importantly, on our bedroom tv, having fine-grained control allows us to adjust - with a fine accuracy - the volume difference that is often present between movies and tv shows, and even between live tv and adverts.

(For the record, though the bedroom tv has the 60 steps referred to above, and we can fine-control the volume through the TV's own controls, this has previously not been necessary and now means we require two controls - one for the Kodi box, and one for the TV (and no, we don't have CEC on this TV) - to get the desired volume. In the lounge, though we haven't experienced issues as yet, the sound is sent through a roughly thrown together amp system (centering around an old external Sound Blaster), where we have no control over the volume of the amp itself, and therefore require control over the volume of the source.)

It seems strange, particularly with a product like Kodi, to artificially limit the options in this way when Kodi is, by nature, aimed at those who want fine-grained control over their experience.
I think you're referring to this pull request:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/9334
but it wasn't merged.
That could well be my bad - the tv's are both using Milhouse's latest openelec test builds which, I know, often include unmerged changes. My apologies for the confusion. (The fact its closed would at least explain why I couldn't find the relevant PR!)
The only discussion I could find is where this was actually not added: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/9334

Are you maybe using a test build that had added this in?

EDIT: I was too slow to reply ;)
I was trying out Krypton RC3 and I noticed the volume increases by a percent now.

I think at the moment it can be set to a minimum of 10% increase, I'm using an AVR and 10% is a big jump in loudness.Can a 5% option be added in the setup?
Hell, can you add 1% and 2% while at it?

Or is there any option (config file would do too) to revert it back to how it is in V17, decibels(?) instead of %? Or config file I cant tweak the minimum % increase?

Thanks in advance.
Behaviour should be the same as v16 since the "Volume control steps" is set to 90 by default which is the exact same as it was before, in your settings what is "System -> Audio -> Volume control steps" set to?
(2017-01-20, 16:24)jjd-uk Wrote: Behaviour should be the same as v16 since the "Volume control steps" is set to 90 by default which is the exact same as it was before, in your settings what is "System -> Audio -> Volume control steps" set to?

I just updated to the final Krypton, the minimum it can be set to is 10, which is too much increase for my system.
The volume up or down increments by 10% when set to 10.

Can you add 1, 2 and 5 as well? Or is it possible to modify a settings file in the meantime?
It's number of steps so if you want less volume change between steps you need to increase not decrease.
so you really want 1, 2 and 5 where pressing volume up would increase volume by 100% / 50% or 20% respectively ? how does that make sense.

"volume control steps" is about total number of volume control steps you need to go from 0% to 100%. not a percentage per step!

20 means ~5% per step. 50 means ~2% per step

EDIT: maybe that setting needs better wording / help hint. but my english sucks so I better not touch it. @jjd-uk if you have ideas for better help hint, please PR it or let me know - I'll do Smile
Ohh... so the higher the steps, the lower the increase rate!

I set "steps" to 90 now and it does what I was looking for, it changes by 1% every key press.

By "step" I understood that pressing it ONCE will increase by X steps, like a multiplier.

My apologies if I haven't understood it earlier from your previous comments.

You could just add to the description of the setting: "The higher the steps, the lower the increase rate." Smile

BTW: the default was set 20 for me after install, maybe it is indeed 90 for others and this is why they haven't seen it as an issue?

Thank you very much @jjd-uk and @stefansaraev for your guidance here.
the tefault is 90, same as in jarvis, some distros (in particular LibreELEC) have it changed to 20 because that's what most of their users want.
Oh Ok. I'm on LibreElec, so that explains the different default setting. Thanks.
I can't remember the exact technical details, it's something like the minimum volume is set at 10% (anything below that results in Mute I think) therefore the volume range is 10% to 100% hence why the Kodi default of 90 steps results in a 1% of volume change for each step as (100-10)/90=1, the LE default of 20 steps results in a 4.5% of volume change for each step as (100-10)/20=4.5, and why what you were originally trying by configuring 10 steps resulted in a 9% volume change for each step as (100-10)/10=9.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Revert Krypton change limiting volume steps to 200