Req Estuary create personal main menu
This is one feature which I've been trying to get working with many iterations of XBMC and now KODI, and with many skins, and with smart-menu's, but every time it is long winded and convoluted, and don't ever work correctly.

Ideally, I want to be able to create menu items myself on the left home page, then have them point to local or networked folders of the same name, and treated by KODI like its the existing ones with different names. So I update a local or networked folder called KIDS TV or KIDS MOVIES or FAVORITE FILMS or FAVORITE TV SHOWS with new content and it simply updates what is in those folders.

This would be really helpful, and a far better solution for favorites too.

I do really struggle to cope with THE WALKING DEAD sitting next to THOMAS THE TANK ENGINE AND FRIENDS in my TV shows. Smile
This mod will do it. Note it's not completely up to date, he will update it when Krypton hits beta.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=263554

The skin authors don't want to add this feature themselves as they feel every way to customize menus in Kodi skins is "hacky", or ugly code, etc.
Thanks for the pointer! Will give it a go.

I think they're spot on, it must be hacky....though why you can't just put a "ADD item +" on the bottom of the menu is beyond me!
Gave it a try, but it was indeed hacky at best, all the menu's are not helpful in the slightest (though thats got more to do with Estuary than the mod I guess).

In the end I just added all the kids folders to favorites for now.

Hopefully in the future someone will implement a decent and intuitive way of doing it eh!
Have you tried Super Favourites, it sounds like that might do what your after
I'm working to support skin.shortcuts

Image Image
Image Image
 Estuary MOD V2 
(2016-03-20, 15:32)Guilouz Wrote: I'm working to support skin.shortcuts

Image Image
Image Image

Wink
(2016-03-19, 15:26)rodalpho Wrote: The skin authors don't want to add this feature themselves as they feel every way to customize menus in Kodi skins is "hacky", or ugly code, etc.

That's kind of a weird reason! The coders of Estuary are also part of the Kodi team... So make sure Kodi support a nice way to do this, all skin's can take advantage of this function as well... There is at least a huge demand for it.
There have been hints - hints that may be have been completely mis-interpreted by myself it has to be said - that this may be a part of Kodi in the future. If it's not, then there is work that the ugly hack that is Skin Shortcuts (and, as the original creator of that script let me just agree that it really is an ugly hack) will be included in a mod in the future. And, if there isn't a pretty solution enabled within Kodi, there is a Skin Shortcuts fork being worked on by a very talented developer (who, I hope knows is welcome to call on myself for assistance should it be required).

In the meantime, lets hold on to the hope that Estuary - and the many changes to Kodi that it has already required, and will continue to do so - mean that a Skin Shortcuts version won't be required in the future.
To be clear: It should be in no way an offense that we do not incorporate that script and also that it gets called a hack because the problem is surely not the script but our core. Your script is awesome for anyone who wants to play with advanced kodi stuff and tryin out different skins etc and lot of skinners couldnt live without it, for the default skin we need a solution though which also works fine without any python . It´s just too fragile to rely on (python) addons, no matter how mature the script code is.

There is nothing concrete in sight yet to get that functionality into core, but some ideas are floating around. Let´s see what happens.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
I don't take it in anyway negative because script.skinshortcuts IS a hack (and actually, more than just one!) I, for one, would love to see it augmented by a 'core' solution - even if just for library nodes if initially Smile (and if it was completely replaced, well, I would owe at least one Kodi developer a huge favour!)

in short, there's no ego that demands the Skin Shortcuts script be kept alive and, for the record, I'm happy to assist any skinner who wants to fork Estuary with Skin Shortcuts support, and any developer who wants to replace it Smile

Edit: Not that it should make any great difference, but lets discuss the skinners who lead the deprecation of the Skin Shortcuts script. Whilst there are many Kodi skinners who I respect, the respect that yourself - Phil65 and Piers - enjoy generally mean that Skin Shortcuts isn't just being deprecated for the hell of it, but because two of the most skilled skinners Kodi currently have have come up with something better Smile
Just as a matter of interest, is "favorites" a part of the core?

Because IMHO the version of favorites in Estuary seems just as hacky as the python script shortcut addons out there.
Any news on this?
Would love this feature.
Here : http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=267343
 Estuary MOD V2 

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Estuary create personal main menu2