Someone deliver me from iTunes, please?
@Walt74: thanks for so much help

@MetalChris: I uninstalled iTunes; I executed als the extra terminal commands (rm -rf /Library/iTunes and so on).

I don't see anything from iTunes anymore, but after every booting of the mini, my Harmony remote doesn't work: I have to quit kodi and then restart Kodi and then everything is OK. So I still need my mouse...

Now i think my problem is caused by kodi...
Riji,

Are you using the Plex remote settings for the harmony ? if not i strongly suspect the the harmony behaving as a pure apple remote can trigger iTunes......
How to post a debug log ; MacOS acces the hidden userdata folder ; How to post a question ; How to fix gatekeeper issues
Sorry, I don't know much about the Harmony remote. I use a cheap generic IR remote and small bluetooth keyboard/trackpad combo I got on Amazon.

At least you are now free of the bloated iTunes software! Smile

I'm not sure which Mac Mini you have, but if it's got an Intel Core2 Duo, it's more than capable of running linux. My old Macbook (Early 2008) dual boots Mac OS X Lion and Lubuntu 14.04.4. Almost everything works 'out of the box' under Lubuntu, although I'm having some issues with the Macbooks Airport adapter and using a small USB wi-fi adapter instead. I'm running Isengard on the Mac OS, and Jarvis on Lubuntu.

EDIT: Just did a little more research and now the Airport adapter is working fine under Lubuntu! Big Grin
Kodi Matrix on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 22.04 | Kodi Matrix on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
>>>>> Newest MetalChris Addons: Local Now | Redbox | NEWSnet| NHL Radio | Weather Unlocked
(2016-03-27, 16:59)MetalChris Wrote: At least you are now free of the bloated iTunes software! Smile

Yes, thank you very much.

I prefer staying with OS X because my other devices are also Apple ones.

Maybe there will be someone else who can help me with my Harmony remote not working right away after booting the mac mini.
(2016-03-27, 16:17)Walt74 Wrote: Riji,

Are you using the Plex remote settings for the harmony ? if not i strongly suspect the the harmony behaving as a pure apple remote can trigger iTunes......

I do use the Plex remote settings for the Harmony.
I'm back to nowhere: yesterday there was an update of iTunes (which I already installed recently before removing iTunes and which I could only postpone to the next day) and then at the initial launch of iTunes I tryed "disagree" with the conditions: I received this message after every reboot.
So still the same misery: after every reboot of the mini, first exit kodi, quit iTunes and restart kodi.

If there is really no way to overcome, I will have to go for a dual boot with OpenELEC; maybe someone has a reference how I can make this easy.
It must be a dual boot system from harddisk and not from a USB flash drive, because OS X will not just accept a flash drive as the first bootable device and ... from the sofa everything should can be performed easily with the remote.
I use a flirc with my mac mini and my Harmony, works really well, I suggest going that route.

http://www.flirc.tv
Thanks, but I'm not gone pay another 23 euro after buying a Mac mini and a Harmony.
(2016-03-29, 11:31)riji Wrote: I'm back to nowhere: yesterday there was an update of iTunes (which I already installed recently before removing iTunes and which I could only postpone to the next day) and then at the initial launch of iTunes I tryed "disagree" with the conditions: I received this message after every reboot.
So still the same misery: after every reboot of the mini, first exit kodi, quit iTunes and restart kodi.

If there is really no way to overcome, I will have to go for a dual boot with OpenELEC; maybe someone has a reference how I can make this easy.
It must be a dual boot system from harddisk and not from a USB flash drive, because OS X will not just accept a flash drive as the first bootable device and ... from the sofa everything should can be performed easily with the remote.

What if you do not start kodi automatically at startup ? but start it manually ? it iTunes still dominant ?
i strongly advise a fresh install of OSX, something seems to be off. I have used the same setup for 5 years now with a mac mini 2011, itunes has teased me nut candler always resolved it.

NB I use the sleep function to hibernate the system, i hardly reboot or restart my mac mini, so kodi stays on top during sleep. I just the wake command to wake the system from sleep.
How to post a debug log ; MacOS acces the hidden userdata folder ; How to post a question ; How to fix gatekeeper issues
(2016-03-31, 20:48)Walt74 Wrote: What if you do not start kodi automatically at startup ? but start it manually ? it iTunes still dominant ?
This is not an option for me as I need to work with only the remote right away (on my sofa).

Quote:NB I use the sleep function to hibernate the system, i hardly reboot or restart my mac mini, so kodi stays on top during sleep. I just the wake command to wake the system from sleep.
The mini is only used three hours a day, so I can not have in on all the time.

It's two evenings now that after booting the mini with autostart kodi I can immediately use the remote control.
Maybe it will succeed ...
I do not know why it's going well. I have the script to delay the start of kodi with a few seconds back on.
Tonight iTunes was back in the way...

I've been thinking: maybe with an apple script compiled as an app so that I can have it run on booting the mac, I have a way out.

I ever made just one apple script, but what I found here and there on the web, I come to something like this:

tell application "kodi.app"
activate
end tell

tell application "System Events"
   get name of every process Whose name is "iTunes"

if result is not {} then
        tell application "iTunes"
             quit
        end tell
   else
        tell application "iTunes"
             activate
delay 2
quit
        end tell
   end if
end tell

quit
delay 4
end tell

activate
end tell

Update:
I saved the script as an app and have it run on booting (login).
I have tried out the app and it's working, now see a few days if it stays OK....
I would not go for a scripted solution. If i where you i would go for a clean OSX install, it takes some time, but looking for a work-around for this problem is also taking a lot of time.
This is very strange behavior of iTunes, i am running on the same setup since 2011 without these problems.

IMO the way to go
reinstall a fresh OSX
remove ituneshelper from startup
install candleair
install kodi
setup kodi
Thanks Wal74 for you're on going help.
As long as my solution does the job I stay with it, I have been troubled more than enough.
(2016-04-03, 11:29)riji Wrote: Thanks Wal74 for you're on going help.
As long as my solution does the job I stay with it, I have been troubled more than enough.

Okay, if you are happy with it Smile i admit, it is a nice working solution. I have copied your script, you never know.
(2016-04-03, 10:57)Walt74 Wrote: I would not go for a scripted solution. If i where you i would go for a clean OSX install, it takes some time, but looking for a work-around for this problem is also taking a lot of time.
This is very strange behavior of iTunes, i am running on the same setup since 2011 without these problems.

IMO the way to go
reinstall a fresh OSX
remove ituneshelper from startup
install candleair
install kodi
setup kodi

I have followed your advice and did all the work, but booting in my living room... itunes was back!!!!
I'll go back to my login script as 2 times out of 3 it was OK and I only have to reboot in case it is failing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Someone deliver me from iTunes, please?0