Firestick bricked by Kodi! Please help...
Help! From anyone who will know! My Amazon firestick won't load anything, do anything. freezes when it boots. Cant even reset it via remote. I stupidly set Kodi to a huge cache and it has filled the stick...think i've bricked it?
I doubt it Kodi can "brick" your Fire Stick. Is Kodi auto starting via FireStarter?
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
'bricked' is just my figure of speech.

I get the Firestick loading, then the Amazon home page starts. THEN Firestarter kicks and that menu appears. And..it does nothing. Eventually says 'not connected to network'. I just don't see a way around this. It's totally unresponsive and so is the remote throughout this process.
Is firestarter set to run Kodi at start up?

Can you ADB in from a PC?
Even if your not connected to network, clicking the home button should bring you back to the Amazon screen. Unless you changed the home button functionality with Firestarter. Let us know and we'll help you troubleshoot.
(2016-03-21, 19:28)Dangelus Wrote: I doubt it Kodi can "brick" your Fire Stick. Is Kodi auto starting via FireStarter?

(2016-03-21, 21:23)Idokfire Wrote: Even if your not connected to network, clicking the home button should bring you back to the Amazon screen. Unless you changed the home button functionality with Firestarter. Let us know and we'll help you troubleshoot.

Yes I changed the home button functionality with firestarter. Once the firestarter menu appears it all totally freezes then tells me I've lost connection to network. I'm downloading ADB for mac in the hope of finding a way to plug the stick in there and do a hard reset but am a newbie..! yikes!
Did you happen to set a double click home functionality? I can't think of anything else yet except for what you are about to try. But I don't know Mac.
(2016-03-21, 22:22)Idokfire Wrote: Did you happen to set a double click home functionality? I can't think of anything else yet except for what you are about to try. But I don't know Mac.

yes i did but it just doesn't work. ADB can't find my firestck either when its plugged in via USB (even though i've read articles saying it will) so i can't uninstall Kodi that way..arrgh!
You may have to do a hard reset. Your stick will be wiped to factory settings but at least you should be able to get it working again.

Apparently holding the RIGHT and BACK buttons for 10 seconds should initiate a factory default reset. If it doesn't work after it freezes you might have to plug it in then immediately press the buttons.
(2016-03-21, 22:56)Dangelus Wrote: You may have to do a hard reset. Your stick will be wiped to factory settings but at least you should be able to get it working again.

Apparently holding the RIGHT and BACK buttons for 10 seconds should initiate a factory default reset. If it doesn't work after it freezes you might have to plug it in then immediately press the buttons.

the factory default wouldn't kick in on the remote...nothing. Thanks so much for the help though I appreciate it.

Luckily, the online store are giving me a replacement stick tmrw to collect instore, no questions asked! That's the easier option. And in future.....don't mess with the Kodi cache for buffering........

In fact generally, I don't think the fire stick can realistically take more than 6 or so add ons without seriously lagging and bugging. Thoughts?
(2016-03-22, 14:25)baggins Wrote:
(2016-03-21, 22:56)Dangelus Wrote: You may have to do a hard reset. Your stick will be wiped to factory settings but at least you should be able to get it working again.

the factory default wouldn't kick in on the remote...nothing. Thanks so much for the help though I appreciate it.

Luckily, the online store are giving me a replacement stick tmrw to collect instore, no questions asked! That's the easier option. And in future.....don't mess with the Kodi cache for buffering........

In fact generally, I don't think the fire stick can realistically take more than 6 or so add ons without seriously lagging and bugging. Thoughts?
you should exchange it right away and get something else.
(2016-03-22, 14:25)baggins Wrote: Luckily, the online store are giving me a replacement stick tmrw to collect instore, no questions asked! That's the easier option. And in future.....don't mess with the Kodi cache for buffering........

So, I love my fire stick. It's the price point that makes it great but by far, not the best device. Cache on the Stick USD limited due to space on the Stick so over has to be careful. As for addons, yes you have to keep it minimal but how many do you really need? Same for skins unfortunately. It can't handle some of these more intensive skins. But there are always tweaks. My suggestion, keep it minimal. But also, install Kodi on your computer and test addons as well as skins there. If you use library, disable actor thumbs.

Not true at all.
If you bought yours "fully loaded" (with crappy add-ons), that could be an issue.

Are you sure the remote does not just need pairing
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custome...=201452760
Installed Kodi on a new Firestick, downloaded some apps, set the skin and looked at all the settings. There were a couple of updates and one was for a remote control. After that the firestick started freezing and unresponsive to anything. I tried factory reset but didnt help. Finally I downloaded the remote app to my phone and was able to free it up. The Fire remote hasnt operated the Firestick since the big freeze. The phone app is nice most of the time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Firestick bricked by Kodi! Please help...0