OpenElec system with 3D ISO
Does Kodi on OpenElec can play 3D BD ISO file? If so, how do I do that? When I try to play one, it just shows me a 2D picture.
Yes it does.

Firstly, what hardware are you using? Which version of OpenELEC and KODI?

Make sure you file is labeled so that KODI knows it's 3D, you can read more here 3D#3D_detection (wiki)
Only on the Pi. Kodi can only playback 3D MVC video (what the 3D BD ISO uses) only on the PI when it comes to OpenELEC. Oh, and some Android boxes with external players, but that's besides the point.
I run OpenElec on Lenovo Q190 box (Celeron CPU 1017u 1.60ghz). Currently the version I run is a bit outdated (Kodi 14) but I can do an update any time.
Soulbind, why is the RPI-only thing? What is RPI can do and my computer cannot?
AFAIK it's because the MVC requires video frame packing that only the Pi's video card is capable of in the free/open driver that openelec uses. I could be wrong on this, but as far as I can find that's the reason why the Pi can auto-switch the TV I have to 3d mode (3d frame packing) but my nice high-end NUC can't.
NUC's can do it now, but under windows 8/10, check this thread out (link)
Not sure if your Lenovo can do it though with its Celeron processor.
MVC decoding and output is still experimental atm, so not part of any stable build
Thread moved to Pi section
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I don't know why the thread was moved to Pi section....I clearly stated that I am not looking for a solution for Pi but for Lenovo Q190...
So, if I cannot watch 3D BD ISO files, what 3D format can I watch?
HSBS or HTAB
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Just downloaded a movie which claims to be TAB. The resolution in MediaInfo shows 1920x1600 and it works. The TV syncs at 1080p. Does it mean that the picture resolution is 1920x800 infact and the 3D is HTAB?
(2016-03-22, 23:50)knfevg Wrote: Just downloaded a movie which claims to be TAB. The resolution in MediaInfo shows 1920x1600 and it works. The TV syncs at 1080p. Does it mean that the picture resolution is 1920x800 infact and the 3D is HTAB?

No, that is FULL TAB.

H-TAB = 2 pictures inside 1 full 1920 x 1080 frame
H-TAB = 1920 x 540 pixels per eye (maximum)

TAB = 2 full 1080p pictures stacked above each other (1920 x 2160)
TAB = 1920 x 1080 pixels per eye (maximum)

What you have there is a full TAB but where the movie is anamorphic (widescreen) instead of 16:9 (TV ratio).
That means each picture is 1920 x 800 so 2 stacked above each other makes 1920 x 1600 - the missing lines are just black bars at the top and bottom and have not been encoded into the file.

i.e.

Your File = 2 full 1080p Anamorphic pictures (1920 x 800) stacked above each other (1920 x 1600)
Your File = 1920 x 800 per Eye

TV will likely sync show 1080p as that is technically what each eye is showing.
And there is no problem watching this format on my box? So, in theory, I watch full tab at 1920x2160? Why is that worth than BD3D?
(2016-03-23, 08:01)knfevg Wrote: And there is no problem watching this format on my box? So, in theory, I watch full tab at 1920x2160? Why is that worth than BD3D?

It's theoretically the same quality, but usually not so in practice.

Frame Packing / 3DBD output to a TV / Projector uses TAB also but adds a little blank space between the frames to make it 1920 x 2205.

If you file is very big (ie. Bigger than the original BD) then quality is likely similar, although of course it was still re-encoded hence some quality was lost.

Storage is where the big difference comes in.. Storing files as TAB is not efficient as each eye must be included in full. On a 3DBD one eye is fully stored and then for the other only the difference from the first is stored - hence smaller overall file size.

As for what your box supports.. best check the other threads on 3D on this forum as I think there is a quite a bit of discussion on that.

I've not attempted to do 3D from my RaspberryPi yet.. but planning to give that a go next week.
BD3D is encoded differently, and decoding this special format (MVC) is the thing that's not working on all platforms. The PI has HW capabilities for this, such as some Android GPUs. On Windows, you'll need some closed source Intel library to get it working as there is currently NO known opensource decoder for MVC files. Next issues is, that 3DBD are using a bit different file structure for their MVC playlists and this is a bit harder to process and f.e. perform accurate jumps in the timeline, so additional work is also needed on that end. If you would run Windows on that lenovo, you could give the experimental build from Afedchin a try

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenElec system with 3D ISO0