OpenElec system with 3D ISO
(2016-03-29, 17:17)tribunal88 Wrote: My question was, is there a way to have Kodi automatically detect mvc streams in video files regardless of file name tags, and if they are present, attempt to play them?

Yes, using a Milhouse nightly/Krypton build.
But for stable/Jarvis build where the new code is not present, you must follow the manual steps.
Just to clarify, the reason I'm asking all these questions is not because I'm expecting Kodi to work a certain way, or that I don't wish to tag my file names. I just want to make sure I have a solid understanding of how the software works, limitations it has, and assumptions it makes. So far I've been incredibly impressed with what I've found. The only "hack" I had to do was not even to Kodi, it was to Confluence. It was to keep the Confluence main/home menus and submenus from displaying my home movies under the "Movies" menu. Confluence circumvents the custom node definitions contained in the "userdata" directory, so it was ignoring all my rules meant to keep home movies and Hollywood movies separate. I had to edit the ActivateWindow calls myself to make sure they hit the customized node definitions instead of the default.
(2016-03-29, 17:21)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-03-29, 17:17)tribunal88 Wrote: My question was, is there a way to have Kodi automatically detect mvc streams in video files regardless of file name tags, and if they are present, attempt to play them?

Yes, using a Milhouse nightly/Krypton build.
But for stable/Jarvis build where the new code is not present, you must follow the manual steps.

That is exactly the kind of detail I was hoping for. Thank you! This community is so impressive with its responsiveness.
(2016-03-29, 15:37)tribunal88 Wrote:
(2016-03-29, 15:12)popcornmix Wrote: Post the mediainfo. With default settings MakeMVC won't produce a 3D file. You need to manually check the option for 3D/stereo video stream.

I'll post it when I get home from work. I can tell you when I ripped the track I did expand the options/details and check the box I believe you're referring to. The resulting file was roughly 6G larger than the previously ripped 2D version, and it had the same makeup as far as audio/subtitle.

Sorry it took so long. My NAS picked last night to have an "event", which it seems to have recovered from now, but I was focused on that and forgot to post the requested details. You will find them below, but first, let me add some more details. I decided to rename the file to "movie.3D.mvc.mkv" and it seemed to have the same results. That's when I noticed teh "3D" icon down in the lower-right corner next to the subtitles and other settings. I selected it, chose "enabled" and then I think it asked my what I wanted to use and I picked "Same as file". NOW I got the screen to distort. The picture seemed clear, but it was only showing the left half and looked squashed. I'm suspicious if it was trying to output in SBS, but since it's not a SBS file it just tried the best with what it had. Either way, here's the media info.

Code:
General
Unique ID                      : 203546152931306853440827315953042593353 (0x992190274A52A7159DF12234831E1649)
Complete name                  : <redacted for post>.3D.mvc.mkv
Format                         : Matroska
Format version                 : Version 2
File size                      : 33.1 GiB
Duration                       : 1h 57mn
Overall bit rate mode          : Variable
Overall bit rate               : 40.5 Mbps
Movie name                     : <redacted for post>
Encoded date                   : UTC 2016-03-29 00:31:02
Writing application            : MakeMKV v1.9.9 win(x64-release)
Writing library                : libmakemkv v1.9.9 (1.3.3/1.4.4) win(x64-release)
Attachements                   : cover.jpg

Video
ID                             : 1
Format                         : AVC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                 : Stereo [email protected] / [email protected]
MultiView_Count                : 2
Format settings, CABAC         : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames      : 3 frames
Format settings, GOP           : M=1, N=12
Codec ID                       : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode                  : Variable
Maximum bit rate               : 33.0 Mbps
Width                          : 1 920 pixels
Height                         : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Frame rate mode                : Constant
Frame rate                     : 23.976 fps
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0
Bit depth                      : 8 bits
Scan type                      : Progressive
Language                       : English
Default                        : No
Forced                         : No
DURATION                       : 01:57:06.644625000
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES               : 168471
NUMBER_OF_BYTES                : 31448356982
SOURCE_ID                      : 001011
_STATISTICS_WRITING_APP        : MakeMKV v1.9.9 win(x64-release)
_STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC   : 2016-03-29 00:31:02
_STATISTICS_TAGS               : BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES SOURCE_ID

Audio
ID                             : 2
Format                         : DTS
Format/Info                    : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile                 : MA / Core
Mode                           : 16
Format settings, Endianness    : Big
Codec ID                       : A_DTS
Bit rate mode                  : Variable
Bit rate                       : Unknown / 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s)                     : 8 channels / 6 channels
Channel positions              : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE / Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                  : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                      : 24 bits
Compression mode               : Lossless / Lossy
Title                          : Surround 7.1
Default                        : Yes
DURATION                       : 01:57:06.645333333
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES               : 658748
NUMBER_OF_BYTES                : 4107544464
SOURCE_ID                      : 001100
_STATISTICS_TAGS               : BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES SOURCE_ID

Text
ID                             : 3
Format                         : PGS
Codec ID                       : S_HDMV/PGS
Codec ID/Info                  : Picture based subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs
Default                        : Yes
DURATION                       : 01:56:32.130979166
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES               : 3432
NUMBER_OF_BYTES                : 35180248
SOURCE_ID                      : 001200

Menu
<redacted for post>
(2016-03-30, 14:35)tribunal88 Wrote: Sorry it took so long. My NAS picked last night to have an "event", which it seems to have recovered from now, but I was focused on that and forgot to post the requested details. You will find them below, but first, let me add some more details. I decided to rename the file to "movie.3D.mvc.mkv" and it seemed to have the same results. That's when I noticed teh "3D" icon down in the lower-right corner next to the subtitles and other settings. I selected it, chose "enabled" and then I think it asked my what I wanted to use and I picked "Same as file". NOW I got the screen to distort. The picture seemed clear, but it was only showing the left half and looked squashed. I'm suspicious if it was trying to output in SBS, but since it's not a SBS file it just tried the best with what it had. Either way, here's the media info.

File looks okay for 3D:
Code:
Format profile                 : Stereo [email protected] / [email protected]

Are you using OE 6.0.3? That doesn't understand the "MVC" tag in filename, so "SBS" would be recommended.
If you update to OE 6.95.1 that will understand the "MVC" tag.

You can confirm what mode the TV is in with "tvservice -s" (after ssh-ing in).
It will show "3D SBS", "3D TAB" or "3D FP" for the different 3D modes.
A non-3D will show a picture with the first two (half side-by-side or half top-and-bottom), but probably won't show a picture with the third.
The first two modes will be used when "Enable Full HD HDMI modes for stereoscopic 3D" is disabled and the third when enabled.

If it's not behaving as you expect the post a debug log (wiki)
(2016-03-30, 19:39)popcornmix Wrote: You can confirm what mode the TV is in with "tvservice -s" (after ssh-ing in).
It will show "3D SBS", "3D TAB" or "3D FP" for the different 3D modes.
A non-3D will show a picture with the first two (half side-by-side or half top-and-bottom), but probably won't show a picture with the third.
The first two modes will be used when "Enable Full HD HDMI modes for stereoscopic 3D" is disabled and the third when enabled.

If it's not behaving as you expect the post a debug log (wiki)

It may be I won't be able to confirm this until I actually hook this up to a 3D TV. No matter what 3D mode I set (Same as File, Side-by-Side), whatever file name I used (.sbs., .mvc.), and however the picture distorted (or not), the above command gave the following output in all cases.

Code:
:~ # tvservice -s
state 0x12000a [HDMI DMT (39) RGB full 16:9], 1360x768 @ 60.00Hz, progressive
Do you have "adjust display refresh rate to match video" enabled?
debug log (wiki) may make it clearer.
(2016-03-30, 21:37)popcornmix Wrote: Do you have "adjust display refresh rate to match video" enabled?

I have "adjust display refresh rate" set to "Always". That's Under Settings -> Video -> Playback
(2016-03-30, 21:37)popcornmix Wrote: Do you have "adjust display refresh rate to match video" enabled?

Debug log can be found here:
http://www.xbmclogs.com/pr75gmwgb
(2016-03-31, 02:09)tribunal88 Wrote: Debug log can be found here:
http://www.xbmclogs.com/pr75gmwgb

Just some of my own thoughts while looking at the above file. On line 974 it states "FactoryCodec - Video: mmal-mvc - Opened", so it appears that it does detect the mvc stream in some capacity. However, further down on line 1019 I see the message, "StereoscopicsManager: autodetected stereo mode for movie mode left_right is: split_vertical, which seems to indicate it's chosen the wrong mode. That's as much as I can say about it.
(2016-04-01, 21:49)tribunal88 Wrote: "StereoscopicsManager: autodetected stereo mode for movie mode left_right is: split_vertical, which seems to indicate it's chosen the wrong mode. That's as much as I can say about it.

That is fine. The Gui will be rendered in split_vertical mode.
In fact as his display is a monitor that doesn't support 24/25/30 Hz modes, framepacking is not an options, so SBS will be output.
(2016-04-02, 13:51)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-04-01, 21:49)tribunal88 Wrote: "StereoscopicsManager: autodetected stereo mode for movie mode left_right is: split_vertical, which seems to indicate it's chosen the wrong mode. That's as much as I can say about it.

That is fine. The Gui will be rendered in split_vertical mode.
In fact as his display is a monitor that doesn't support 24/25/30 Hz modes, framepacking is not an options, so SBS will be output.

Excellent. I was planning to purchase the 3D TV in June. This one to be precise
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TRQOEVY...inch+4k+3d
Any gotchas I might want to be aware of?
So now I have the 3D TV (the one linked in the previous post) and I get the following:

Code:
mojo3:~ # tvservice -s
state 0x12000a [HDMI CEA (32) 3D FP RGB lim 16:9], 1920x1080 @ 23.98Hz, progressive

That all looks good but the image is not working properly. It looks like the image is stretched to 2x the width of the TV, and then the TV is overlaying one half over top of the other.
(2016-04-23, 19:34)tribunal88 Wrote: That all looks good but the image is not working properly. It looks like the image is stretched to 2x the width of the TV, and then the TV is overlaying one half over top of the other.

Can you post a photo?
Also post a photo with "Use full HD modes for 3D" disabled in setting.
(2016-04-23, 19:39)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-04-23, 19:34)tribunal88 Wrote: That all looks good but the image is not working properly. It looks like the image is stretched to 2x the width of the TV, and then the TV is overlaying one half over top of the other.

Can you post a photo?
Also post a photo with "Use full HD modes for 3D" disabled in setting.

You bet. Where can I find that setting. I'm using OpenElec 6.0.3 (Isengard) and couldn't find it anywhere.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenElec system with 3D ISO0