Problems with recordings and timeshift
Hi,

I set up a tvheadend server (4.0.8) on ubuntu (14.04.3 LTS) with DVB-S (only SD used).

My clients are:
- 2x Kodi 16.0 on Windows 7
- 1x Kodi 16.0 on Android
- 2x Openelec 6.0.3 on Rapsberry Pi 2
- 1x Openelec 6.0.3 on Intel Core2Duo

On all clients the live TV runs without any problems. However, if I rewind with timeshift the playback will start to chop and get asynchronous with audio. The same problem occurs with recordings. It is next to impossible to skip a few minutes in recordings. Sometimes the video freezes sometime it jumpes back to another time.

I've tried to copy the recorded video files from the ubuntu server to my windows machine. There is no problem in playback with VLC. So, it seems to me the recording will work properly.

The next think I tried was to download the .m3u file from the tvheadend webinterface ("play" link in finished recordings). There was no problem in playing the http stream with VLC. Next, I opend the .m3u file with Kodi on all of my clients and even there was no problem with playback and skipping forward and backward.

What can cause the problem with directly select TV recordings and timeshift in Kodi?

Thanks
Philipp
Maybe a server hardware problem?

I had it similar with a Atom d525 with 1 dive.
I now have tvheadend 4.1 on a Ubuntu server 14.04. Hardware is a Celeron n3150 with two 3g WD reds in raid 0. Playback is excellent and a good replacement for WMC. Plex does struggle to play live tv in the browsers but Kodi is great and covers all we want.

srl
Have you tried switching time shifting to RAM only in tvheadend?
The server is an AMD Athlon X2 235e with 4GB RAM. I think the performance should be more than sufficient for SD streaming. The server is capable to deliever more than 40MB/s via apache.

(2016-03-22, 01:27)dcrdev Wrote: Have you tried switching time shifting to RAM only in tvheadend?

Yes. But it doesn't change anything.
I could live without timeshift, but recording is a big deal.
I reinstalled my tv server with a fresh debian 8.3.0 64bit version. Afterwards, I installed tvheadend via the stable repository (4.0.9-1~g7f3fb87~jessie). But the problem with the playback of recordings is still there Sad

I also installed an older Version of Kodi (14.2) on my windows machine and that works?!?!
I've read similar reports about rewinding live tv. Try pausing before rewinding.
I think since that version 4.0.9 was released, a lot in timeshifting code has been improved. Maybe the new Kodi HTS plugin doesn't play nice with the older tvheadend server and that's why Kodi 14.2 does work?

You might want to try the most recent 'unstable' tvheadend server version, which is 4.1-18xx atm. So far, on my box the 'unstable' branch has been working pretty stable for the last few years. My server is only a little bit faster than yours (Athlon II X2 240 with 8 GB RAM) and recordings play just fine, so I'd guess the hardware can't be a problem. Especially when you're just using SD streams, there can't be any bandwidth issue. Skipping, pausing, rewinding in recordings all work OK here, although timeshifting is still sometimes a bit dodgy.

So in short, try the most recent tvheadend and Kodi 16.1 and see if that works. (It should.)
(2016-04-13, 11:22)willemd Wrote: I think since that version 4.0.9 was released, a lot in timeshifting code has been improved. Maybe the new Kodi HTS plugin doesn't play nice with the older tvheadend server and that's why Kodi 14.2 does work?

You might want to try the most recent 'unstable' tvheadend server version, which is 4.1-18xx atm. So far, on my box the 'unstable' branch has been working pretty stable for the last few years. My server is only a little bit faster than yours (Athlon II X2 240 with 8 GB RAM) and recordings play just fine, so I'd guess the hardware can't be a problem. Especially when you're just using SD streams, there can't be any bandwidth issue. Skipping, pausing, rewinding in recordings all work OK here, although timeshifting is still sometimes a bit dodgy.

So in short, try the most recent tvheadend and Kodi 16.1 and see if that works. (It should.)

I found the most recent version of tvheadend had issues.. specifically not loading mux files. There's other posts about 4.0.8 being the last stable release there is. Then again.. it may just be bad luck.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with recordings and timeshift0