Client device selection help - Core vs Chromerbox vs U1
Hey Guys,

I'm in the process of building a new system but I'm indecisive on what hardware I should go with for my application.

I've built a custom server (Xeon E3-1230 3.4GHZ/Win 7/8 GB Ram) and it's sole purpose right now is to use a tv tuner (Ceton InfiniTV 4) to stream to my device.

My setup is a bit different in that I will be streaming content to a second location over the internet. I have an RV with a 4G card (unlimited data) and I want to choose the best client devices to use. My original thought was to use an emby backend for the card but it looks like there are a bunch more choice so I'll have to keep reading to see what will be the best. I know I'd prefer the server to transcode to reduce the bandwidth before sending it out to the client devices but that's where I'm stuck because I'm not seeing the advantage over the different types of units.

Wetek Core - It seems like this would fit my application perfectly but the unit is on hold and I'm having problems trying to purchase the unit from their website. I've already emailed support but there's not been a reply from them yet. Plus I see mixed reviews on the forums for the Core so just not sure.

Chromebox - Looks like a good alternative

Minix U1 - Not clear on if they are a fully supported hardware. I see disputes going back and forth and their name being thrown around with that Von company.

Just looking for a client device that will be able to fully take advantage of the server hardware and have a nice experience with. I'd need to purchase about 4 units in total and since these are being used in a small space I'd need something that I can use with IR that can be extended. I've seen a remote with a usb cable that has an IR on the end that would great. Also I guess openelec would be best for this setup ? Just looking for some direction here and I appreciate your time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Client device selection help - Core vs Chromerbox vs U10