v16 Xbian/SDTV: 16:9 video is being compressed to 4:3
Hi,

I'm running Kodi via Xbian on an old 16:9 PAL CRT (SDTV, I use the TV's "zoom to 16:9" mode to stretch the 720×576 to 1024×576). I just updated to the latest build, which runs Kodi 16 (previously was on 15.2) and have a strange problem: Kodi plays all 16:9 video compressed to 4:3; 4:3 video (which is set to display as normal) is compressed even further. The Xbian boot logo and the Kodi GUI display as expected (16:9, covering the whole screen). Everything was fine and worked as expected on Kodi 15.2.

In my /boot/config.txt, I set the correct PAL/16:9 resolution (didn't change anything recently):

Code:
sdtv_mode=2            # normal PAL
sdtv_aspect=3          # 16:9
disable_overscan=0     # enable overscan
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1 # doesn't sent initial active source message
hdmi_ignore_cec=1      # pretends CEC is not supported at all by TV

Is there any explanation for this, or any setting in Kodi 16 I could tweak to get things to work as expected?
You can set up display in Kodi settings.Maybe set advanced setting bottom left.Mine defaulted to vga.
@Darkguy

post full debug log of kodi.

Code:
xll | pastebinit
Just tried again after some time with the current XBian version with the same effect. I got some logs, this time around:

kodi.log/xll: http://paste.debian.net/686880/
dmesg: http://paste.debian.net/686881/

Maybe someone can deduce the problem from those?
@Darkguy

can you provide DEBUG log from kodi.log ?
(either edit advancedsettings.xml, or add "DEBUG=--debug" to /etc/default/xbmc or turn it on from GUI)
A test build provided by XBian solved the resolution problem, see this thread on GitHub.

I still reverted back after a few hours though, as video playback was jerky at times (video would play fine for 30-60 seconds, then there would be a slight freeze of probably anywhere from 10-30 frames, then it would play fine again for another 30-60 seconds, slightly freeze again). Not terrible, but annoying enough to notice. Audio was fine all the time though.

I've had this behavior before, I think with Helix or at least an older build of Isengard last year and it eventually went away with an update. Not sure if this is a know problem or not.

I'd rule out network or I/O issues, as my setup has otherwise worked fine for more than a year with the same hardware (using a Ralink RT5370 Wi-Fi USB adapter on the Pi, the files are on external hard disks connected to an old netbook hooked up via Ethernet and acting as an Ubuntu 14.04 file server via Samba).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbian/SDTV: 16:9 video is being compressed to 4:30