• 25(current)
Android HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)
Hello gbakay Smile

sony x93c is compatible HDR since september 2015, i will take picture when my tv switch in HDR mode or i will make a video.
Sony XBR65x930c, Onkyo tx-nr656, Focal Dome 7.1, Zidoo X20PRO, Egreat A11, Apple TV 4K/infuse PRO.

(2016-04-29, 02:21)wesk05 Wrote: I don't think there is any consumer display that is available in the market that has even 70% Rec. 2020 coverage or 100% DCI-P3. Samsung UHD's seem to have better coverage for both color spaces. I will try to post some pictures from Exodus: Gods and Kings UHD Blu-ray and trailer played on Samsung UHD Blu-ray player. I am not sure whether my camera can capture the wider color gamut.

It should easily. Of course you need to capture in raw and export the jpg (or rather 10/12bit tiff) in from lightroom to a a wider gamut. But it will be mostly useless for 99% of us who have uncalibrated/nonprofiled monitors that don't even cover sRGB.
(2016-04-30, 01:54)Soli Wrote: It should easily. Of course you need to capture in raw and export the jpg (or rather 10/12bit tiff) in from lightroom to a a wider gamut. But it will be mostly useless for 99% of us who have uncalibrated/nonprofiled monitors that don't even cover sRGB.
That's exactly what I was planning on doing. I was going to capture in RAW and apply ProPhotoRGB color space (which is sort of equivalent to DCI-P3).
(2016-04-29, 14:51)dukester Wrote:
(2016-04-29, 14:18)DrPepper Wrote:
(2016-04-29, 14:15)dukester Wrote: maybe the'll send you a HDR TV for testing purposes Wink

im debating on ordering one of these but ill probably hold off for now and let the HDR UHD dust settle a bit first..

@dukester

no need to , i don't mess with small TV's , i have a 4k HDR Beamer ;-)

but Kodis internal player doesnt support 10 bit color. so while i get that its playing smoothly with little cpu usage.. its not showing the correct colorspace unless something changed in the last month or two. this was stated by Kodi Devs.
It's still the correct colorspace. But gamma resolution (and subsequently accurate colors gradients) is going to suffer.
Actually @fritsch mentioned that Kodi doesn't touch the video. I am not sure whether that statement applied only to Amlogic devices or not. He was saying that if the kernel supports 10-bit output, Kodi will also output the same.

(2016-04-30, 02:11)Soli Wrote: It's still the correct colorspace. But gamma resolution (and subsequently accurate colors gradients) is going to suffer.
I don't think Rec.2020 color space can be represented by 8-bit color depth.
(2016-04-30, 01:57)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-04-30, 01:54)Soli Wrote: It should easily. Of course you need to capture in raw and export the jpg (or rather 10/12bit tiff) in from lightroom to a a wider gamut. But it will be mostly useless for 99% of us who have uncalibrated/nonprofiled monitors that don't even cover sRGB.
That's exactly what I was planning on doing. I was going to capture in RAW and apply ProPhotoRGB color space (which is sort of equivalent to DCI-P3).

Will probably only show correctly on the newest (preferably calibrated/profiled) on iMacs that cover the dci-p3 color gamut (but with D65 as whitepoint rather than the greenish whitepoint of "real" dci-p3, which has no consequence since the greenish whitepoint is a stupid digital cinema/hollywood thing and you'd simply use a 3Dlut to master for Digital Cinemas..but I digress)
Prophoto is not exactly the equivalent, it's a really large color space that covers all colors and also "invisible colors". It's kinda overkill, but yes it will work.

That is as long as you have a calibrated monitor that cover at least dci-p3 and use the right icc profile and the OS or application supports color management. And export in at least 12bit color to accompany the larger prophoto gamut. That rules out 99% of usSmile Even those who have proper Adobe RGB monitors will only see the real difference in the greens.

Regardless, there will probably some difference (because of several factors), even if you'd only use sRGB, but it won't show the "real" difference unless you have the right equipment. Anyways, I encourage you to try it out using sRGB (in addition to prophoto), edit the before/after pictures so they have "subjectively" same difference as you're seeing. iPad3 and onwards are accurate enough for comparisons within the sRGB space.
(2016-04-30, 02:34)Soli Wrote: Regardless, there will probably some difference (because of several factors), even if you'd only use sRGB, but it won't show the "real" difference unless you have the right equipment. Anyways, I encourage you to try it out using sRGB (in addition to prophoto), edit the before/after pictures so they have "subjectively" same difference as you're seeing. iPad3 and onwards are accurate enough for comparisons within the sRGB space.
Will do...
(2016-04-30, 02:16)wesk05 Wrote: Actually @fritsch mentioned that Kodi doesn't touch the video. I am not sure whether that statement applied only to Amlogic devices or not. He was saying that if the kernel supports 10-bit output, Kodi will also output the same.

(2016-04-30, 02:11)Soli Wrote: It's still the correct colorspace. But gamma resolution (and subsequently accurate colors gradients) is going to suffer.
I don't think Rec.2020 color space can be represented by 8-bit color depth.

Color depth and color space are 2 seperate things. You could have 1bit color depth with rec.2020 color space. Not a good idea but you get the point.
(2016-04-30, 02:41)Soli Wrote: Color depth and color space are 2 seperate things. You could have 1bit color depth with rec.2020 color space. Not a good idea but you get the point.
Represent was the key word in my post.
Maybe it's a matter of semantics, but I will still say that it can be represented with 8bits or lower. It will be "fine". (As a quasi-not-there-yet solution)
12bits, espescially in conjunction with HDR is preferable. So Hollywood went with 10bits, which is the middlegroundSmile They want to keep 12bit full chroma RGB exclusive for Digital Cinemas. Maybe not exactly how it went down, but..
@wesk05 thanks for the correction about fritsch comments.

hdmkv reports on the previous page that the hdr sample doesnt look like the screenshot he posted from his PC.

so is there some conversion taking place? how do you end up with a normal looking picture from HDR material on a non HDR display?

sorry just trying to understand how this all works.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
In laymans terms (or the best I can do without going all techie) Displays in HDR mode use a different gamma curve, so the relative bitlevels are much slower going from dark to bright. That's why a HDR picture will look too bright on a normal display. When using a display in HDR mode with the darker gamma curve, it will look right.

So, to convert a HDR picture to SDR, you need to do the opposite:adjust the picture to be darker so it will look right on a normal SDR display. But you leave out the HDR part of the image, or it wont "fit". I am not sure but I suspect different manufacturers have slightly different methods to convert HDR to SDR as I think there is no definitive standard to this, and different manufacturers might want to be clever and keep parts of HDR when downconverting. (Again, I haven't read up on the specifics although it's pretty straightforward mathemathically) Let's call this the secret sauce. The sauce is used when downconverting to SDR. Another sauce is in place when the display switch over to HDR mode.

HDR is still a mess , and the HDR metadata are dynamic; describing both max luminence and also the color gamut. So the display has to somehow switch gamma/modes/gamut on the fly. A very special sauce indeed, and for the time being pretty much impossible to calibrate properly (although I have a rough idea on how they are going to solve this)
(2016-04-30, 01:52)OlivierQC Wrote: Hello gbakay Smile

sony x93c is compatible HDR since september 2015, i will take picture when my tv switch in HDR mode or i will make a video.

My wrong Oliver, you lucky guy, wish my X900B had HDR Confused When you do get a chance I would love to see pictures or video in HDR mode.
no problem Wink

may be tonight i will made a video with demo Pie and Exodus, but i do not have a professional camera so i'm not sure about the quality of my video Smile
Sony XBR65x930c, Onkyo tx-nr656, Focal Dome 7.1, Zidoo X20PRO, Egreat A11, Apple TV 4K/infuse PRO.

(2016-03-25, 20:00)hdmkv Wrote: Reserved for beta-tester @looun's full review.

For now, here's looun's blog with excellent coverage of Imprex Engine 2.0, options and PQ impact.

Hello!

Auto frame rate switching work on Q10 Pro?
(720p, 1080p, ....)
How, please help!

Thanks!
  • 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)8