All sound suddenly stopping while using Kodi
OSX Version: 10.11.3
Platform: iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
Install Method: dmg
Version of Kodi: 16.0
Debug log: http://pastebin.com/ZhCUhbuE

I recently upgraded to Kodi 16.0, and ever since then the sound on my computer has been behaving oddly. This is an intermittent problem, but I will try to explain what is happening as well as possible:

Basically, every now and again (maybe once or twice a day) the sound on my iMac will suddenly stop. The usually seems to happen between watching videos. IN other words I will fire up Kodi, happily watch a video, then while I am browsing for another video to watch the usual user interface sounds you get while navigating around Kodi will stop and the sound will also not play when I start watching the next video.

The sounds problems will persist even if I quit Kodi and start using other applications. Not only does the sound stop, but the volume keys on my keyboard stop working properly too. When I press them I get a long delay (maybe 3 or 4 minutes) before the usual pop-up display confirming volume the new volume level. If I press the volume keys several times the key presses get stored up and 3 or 4 minutes laters the volume change pop-up will appear several times according to how many times the volume keys have been pressed. But I still get no actual sound (no user interface sounds either).

Because the problems persist after Kodi is quit, at first I thought the problem was my computer. I even called Apple about it, but since then I have realised that there is a definite pattern: the problems always start while I am using Kodi, never while I am using iTunes or any other application. And the problems started when I upgraded to Kodi 16.0. (I've been happily using XBMC 12 for a long time now and I only upgraded to Kodi 16 because the scrapers stopped working in v12.)

A reboot of my iMac will cure the problem, only for it to return a few hours later or the next day always, like I said, while I am using Kodi. I am currently rebooting by computer regularly because of this problem.

I have tried searching the wiki and forums but without success. So I suppose the basic question is, does any of this sound familiar to anyone? And if so does anyone know of a solution, or is this a known problem that will be fixed in a forth-coming version of Kodi? I did think of upgrading to 16.1RC but I would prefer to use a stable version if possible.
Just a quick update... this problem has just happened again. The user interface sounds were fine, the sound stopped only when a video was played. And this time Kodi crashed (thinking back, Kodi has crashed before very shortly after the sound stops working in Kodi).

I looked in the locations suggested in the 'HOW-TO post about a Kodi/XBMC for Mac...' post for the crash logs, but there was nothing there.

Here is the kodi.log file from just after the lasted sound outage/crash event:
http://pastebin.com/1EYQusKZ
need a log with debugging turned on - thats why it is called debug log (wiki)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Just to say that I read the 'Mac OS X - HOW-TO post about a Kodi/XBMC for Mac or Apple TV problem in a useful manner' thoroughly and followed it to the letter. Nowhere does it say anything about turning on this debugging setting. If this is important maybe the 'How to post...' post needs to be updated. I was entirely unaware of this debugging setting so how could I have known to switch it on?

Anyway, I switched on the debugging and fortunately didn't have to wait long for the sound to disappear and for Kodi to also crash. Here is the new kodi.log file: http://pastebin.com/RdfgMgHR
(2016-03-29, 01:32)4square Wrote: I was entirely unaware of this debugging setting so how could I have known to switch it on?

What's with the defensive attitude? Memphiz is trying to help you.
try forcing the your audio settings in kodi to use 44100Hz (use the "fixed" setting in settings-system-audio for doing so) - what sort of audio device is that MM-1 thingy?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2016-03-29, 01:42)nooryani84 Wrote:
(2016-03-29, 01:32)4square Wrote: I was entirely unaware of this debugging setting so how could I have known to switch it on?

What's with the defensive attitude? Memphiz is trying to help you.

I spent a considerable amount of time going through the 'How to post...' post and I followed it to the letter doing absolutely everything it said. It does mention 'Full Debug logs' but it says nothing about any special action required to produce full debug logs, it just provides a set of locations in which to look for logs, which I diligently and obediently did.

And, yet... I Memphiz still saw fit to add a sarcastic comment like 'thats why it is called debug log' to his/her reply.

This debugging switch is hidden deep in a complicated set of settings menus and is mentioned nowhere in the 'Hot to post...' post. I don't agree what is was being defensive or unreasonable to ask how I was supposed to know to do this and to suggest adding a instructions for turning it on should be in said 'How to post...' post.

This Kodi XBMC forums are some of the prickliest and most unfriendly I have ever come across. Even those who diligently follow all the posting instructions are subject to sarcasm which I'm afraid I don't regard as helpful.
Actually, where it mentions the debug log in line 8 of that post, it is a link to the wiki where all of this is fully explained. Just saying Wink
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I'm sorry you feel that way, it's certainly not the intention. Everyone have different approaches to helping others. Some may for example assume you have a certain level of prior knowledge or that you have at the very least tried fixing the issue yourself by reading through forums and the Wiki/manual. On the other hand you have a lot of users who will simply sign up and their first post is basically "It's not working, fix it for me". If you don't want to put in the work/effort then you can often times expect an equal response when it comes to help. This approach would be fine if it was a product you've paid for or something your company pays for. The big difference here is that everything is free and made in people's spare time.

I wouldn't take offense from people trying to help on these forums, as they're not trying to be rude/mean for the most part. We all communicate differently... You just have to be tolerant of different personalities and not read too much into things. Some of this is due to language/culture differences, so there's that as well.

I don't know Memphiz, but I didn't find his post particularly sarcastic. It takes a lot of patience to be a developer and at the same time be "expected" to answer any and all questions (often the same questions many, many times over). When users aren't willing to do anything on their part either, I can only imagine it becomes extra frustrating. You're basically telling them "I don't value your time or care enough to try and solve this myself." Now I didn't say all of this applies to you, so don't jump to conclusions... just think about how much they have to put up with every day, and how many users and questions they answer. Oh yea, and they do it FREE.

So I completely disagree that the forums are unfriendly and if you were to actively participate for a while you may even come to agree with me.
That thread you mentioned wasn't even from me (and the maintainer is not in the team anymore ...) - but i now added the link to the wiki site on how to turn on debugging to it.

All i know is i do support like 3 or for times a day since years and have to ditch everyone into posting a proper log. Just count the posts from me which are basically only made of the debug log (wiki) link. must be a couple of thousands i guess.

And now i need to ask if my suggestion did change anything to your problem. I have to ask and ask everytime everywhere. Its so exhausting you know.

Also my comment was sarcastic a bit too - because the debug log was the link to the wiki and was just fitting right into that sentence.
(2016-03-29, 07:15)Memphiz Wrote: try forcing the your audio settings in kodi to use 44100Hz (use the "fixed" setting in settings-system-audio for doing so) - what sort of audio device is that MM-1 thingy?

After over half an hour of going through the settings without an luck in finding anything that looks even close to something that might let me do as you suggest, I eventually noticed that you can adjust the settings level to reveal additional settings. I can now see a setting called 'Limit sampling rate (Khz)' IS this the one you mean?

I'm honestly not saying this with any kind of attitude: It's just a suggestion to make possible solutions even more helpful. It really would have been great to have used the name of the setting you are referring to as it appears in settings. And given that it isn't visible by default, giving at least a hint at how to make it visible would have been good too.

But thanks for the suggestion... I've now set 'Limit sampling rate (KHz) to 44.1. Hopefully that is what you meant. Lets see if that makes any difference. (If not I'll just go back to XBMC v12 with out using scrapers, which it the last version of XBMC that has worked without issue for me.)

BTW MM-1 refers to the speakers I have attached to my computer (Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 speakers to be precise).
Nope the Limit is not what i meant - in settings-system-audio is a Setting which can be set to "best match" "optimised" and "Fixed" and when selecting Fixed you can set a Fixed Sample Rate - well mostly when i Post i have to do it without sitting in Front of kodi (atm on the way to catch breakfast) - simply ignore my stuff then instead of wasting your time to find the right Setting...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
All sound suddenly stopping while using Kodi0