Android Good TV Box chipset for Kodi
Hello,
I intend to buy cheap TV box that would run Kodi, and most of them are based on Amlogic S905 or Rockchip RK3229.So, I would appreciate recommendations.
4k is not important to me, but occasional browsing is.
Thread moved to hardware.

Read some of the sticky threads in this section - they should answer a lot of your question. And the consensus says avoid Rockchip systems, and also the crappy Chinese "fully loaded" junk.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Yep, stay away from Rockchip. Their SoC's to date haven't been well suited for movie/TV playback. Lack of 23.976 and fall/dull-ish PQ. But, depends on how picky you are about PQ.

AMLogic devices are better for Kodi, with WeTek putting their SoC's to best use for Kodi. HiSilicon has excellent PQ, but relies on external player, with Kodi just a front-end.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Since 4k isnt an issue and should be cheap, how about a fire TV Stick or a raspi?
Both are options, but no 23.976 output (may not matter to OP) of Fire TV Stick, and I'd recommend Fire TV box over Stick. RPi2 and 3 are both terrific, and do almost everything well as far as local media playback. Both of the above can't do HD audio, but Pi can decode HD audio to lossless multichannel.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
If 4K and 3D are not an issue, Nexus player in my opinion is a great bang for the buck as you can commonly find it for ~$50 on sale (at some point Target and Walmart had it for $25 on clearance).
Best support goes to manufacturers mentioned here: https://kodi.tv/xbmc-sponsor-page/

I don't think I need to explain reasons Smile

Beyond Kodi, most powerful and smooth is Rockchip hardware. But if you need good Kodi suppott, indeed avoid Rockchip, because Kodi has issues on RK. Not major issues, but they are present.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with Kodi (official build) on my RK device. But all depends from your needs
(2016-03-27, 01:21)hdmkv Wrote: Both are options, but no 23.976 output (may not matter to OP) of Fire TV Stick, and I'd recommend Fire TV box over Stick. RPi2 and 3 are both terrific, and do almost everything well as far as local media playback. Both of the above can't do HD audio, but Pi can decode HD audio to lossless multichannel.

Only downside for the Pi 2/3 is the OP's wish to browse, which means using Raspbian or similar rather than OpenElec I think (Does OSMC have a browser ?)
OSMC has a browser planned, though it seems it has been put on hold https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/internet-browser/184
The browser on the AMLogic S812-H WeTek Core or a S905 is more than usable for casual use. You will need a device with an Air Mouse Remote Control Function or buy a BT keyboard for easier text entry.

Recent generation celeron.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-03-27, 03:31)nickr Wrote: Recent generation celeron.

Seconded. For the most pain-free experience a low cost x86 box is still the way to go.

The Wetek Core is a great little box though. I find the Airmouse unusable though, and even for casual browsing I think you need a keyboard, so I'd suggest whatever platform you go for to factor in an RF or Bluetooth Keyboard+Trackpad combo, and would also think carefully about remote controls. (I still swear by the original Media Center RC6 devices or the PS3 Bluetooth Bluray remote, which have a nice mix of buttons for functions and are nicely ergonomically designed)
Thank you all for recommendations.I chose TV box with S905, as it cost only 37 $ and have 2 GB RAM, 8 GB storage, lan. w-lan and 2xUSB.
Hope I won't run in any problem with Kodi mentioned on forum.

I see everybody recommend custom version of Kodi, so my guess is I shouldn't install latest version from Play store?It comes with Kodi 15.2.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Good TV Box chipset for Kodi0