• 4(current)
VMware Virtual Machine Development Enviroment for XBMC Linux porting effort
tssgery Wrote:Well, I didn't put that direct link copy out there, _max_ will have to verify the file size of what he has mirrored.

The xbmcdev-1.2.zip file is actually 1,196,398,537 bytes in size so you definately don't have the whole thing.

Maybe your download ran out of disk space? stopped midway though? Other?

I just checked _max_'s link .. and it does appear to be truncated.

Your best bet is to try the torrent
I'll try the torrent. I've tried downloading from the direct link on multiple machines and I always end up with a 606MB file.

Thanks
Sorry about that folks, i tried downloading the file from tssgery like 3 times and it always stoped at ~600mb =( i tried it one last time and it seems its worked now Smile
Lightbulb 
@tssgery, there now seems to be two ways to add 3D hardware acceleration to VMware virtual machines:

For VMware under Windows you have to edit the configuration file of the Virtual Machine you've created http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjY48zxAZQg (this might not be so interesting for XBMCConfused part?)
Code:
mks.enable3d = TRUE
vga.vramSize = 67108864
vmmouse.present = FALSE

The second which should help speed up XBMC under VMware is the VMGL (formerly Xen-GL) library, which enables OpenGL apps running inside a Virtual Machine (VM) can use VMGL to take advantage of graphics hardware acceleration. Supporting OpenGL 1.5 which might not be enough to run all of XBMC visualisations but it should speed up the GUI and GUI animations.

Can you try to implement it?

PS! Maybe give the VMware virtual machine for XBMC development a version-number so it can be tracked?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Gamester17 Wrote:@tssgery, there now seems to be two ways to add 3D hardware acceleration to VMware virtual machines:

For VMware under Windows you have to edit the configuration file of the Virtual Machine you've created http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjY48zxAZQg (this might not be so interesting for XBMCConfused part?)
Code:
mks.enable3d = TRUE
vga.vramSize = 67108864
vmmouse.present = FALSE

The second which should help speed up XBMC under VMware is the VMGL (formerly Xen-GL) library, which enables OpenGL apps running inside a Virtual Machine (VM) can use VMGL to take advantage of graphics hardware acceleration. Supporting OpenGL 1.5 which might not be enough to run all of XBMC visualisations but it should speed up the GUI and GUI animations.

PS! Maybe give the VMware virtual machine for XBMC development a version-number so it can be tracked?

I've tried the first option, but it definately does not work with a Linux guest. I'll try the VMGL library.

The VM is currently versioned, we're at 1.2 right now.
maybe it only works under Windows when combined, so may have to use VMGL and edit configuration file?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Gamester17,
as far as I see it, VMGL needs the host to be linux (since I only found a linux-host install for VMGL, and no Windows)

I think that VMGL Host edition has to retrieve the calls from the Guest edition, and transform that into some sort of workable OpenGL code.

I may be totally wrong on this one, (coz I've got no experience with this whatsoever).

But I think it's like that...
Gamester17 Wrote:@tssgery, there now seems to be two ways to add 3D hardware acceleration to VMware virtual machines:

Code:
mks.enable3d = TRUE
vga.vramSize = 67108864
vmmouse.present = FALSE

Thanks for the tips it seems to work for me Im running vmware in windows xp

I did

Code:
mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
vga.vramSize = "67108864"
vmmouse.present = "FALSE"
Livingroom: MacMini Mid summer 2010 4Gb RAM HDMI to Pioneer PDP-434 Plasma 1080i
Kitchen: one xbox 1.1 executer 2.3 chip 120 GB in HD 720p mode
Bedroom: Computer Intel Quad 9400, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX260, Vista Ultimate 64, Ubuntu 10.10
nianhbg Wrote:Thanks for the tips it seems to work for me Im running vmware in windows xp

I did

Code:
mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
vga.vramSize = "67108864"
vmmouse.present = "FALSE"

Adding that to the vmx "works", but there's no accelerated driver for the guest that I could find.

Did you do anything other than this?
hey,

im am using xbmc since 3-4 years but im a pretty n44by for linux. Anyway i wanted to see how this port looks so i began to follow the README.linux file.
What i did :
1, started the checkout_svn sript (so it downloaded the source)
2, started the build.sh script

In the README.linux comes now this part :
How tu run
If using build.sh with default options, simply:
# cd BUILD
# ./XboxMediaCenter

Whell as i said im really new to linux so im not shure what that means.
Anyway i opened the terminal then pasted the first line but nothing happend,than pasted the second line (then enter) but it didnt do anything.

Please someone give me an advice what im doing wrong.

THX
Haohmaru, you probably need to remove the comment indicator (#) from each command...
# is my code for the command prompt, will clarify in readme now

Yeah, It's probably self explanatory to everyone that deals with Linux or other unixes daily but not otherwise Wink
I recently had to update a Howto-doc at work myself due to customer support saying that every command they typed produced nothing Big Grin
Well if you aren't used to unix environments you really have no need to be using this. The VM image was intended for devs to get straight to developing on a common platform, not for people with no experience to play around.

Pike: It's a $ not a # silly.
pike Wrote:# is my code for the command prompt, will clarify in readme now

thx for help guys
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VMware Virtual Machine Development Enviroment for XBMC Linux porting effort1