• 5(current)
VMware Virtual Machine Development Enviroment for XBMC Linux porting effort
althekiller Wrote:Pike: It's a $ not a # silly.

Typically, $ implies regular user while # implies root/super user
Yeh, there's no reason to build or run XBMC as root at this stage.
holy crap yes! i was going to suggest the easiest way for a portable XBMC would be just making a virtual image so it can be ran on any host...

this is exciting.
Has anyone got the 3D working on the Virtual Machine or is this something that is just not possible ?
If i build the 2d version on the VM all my fonts are layered over each other in the left top corner, has anyone had this problem ?
I also renamed the userdata to UserData en copied the missing font but this does not solve my problem.
Is there a propper solution for this problem ?

Thanks,
3D under VMWare currently only works (with VMGL) if both the host and guest operating-system is Linux.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Those of you running the VM image on windows, why not just play with the win32 build directly if you want to help develop? It's working with SDL/OpenGL - just load up the XBMC_PC.sln project in tools/win32.

Most of it should work, though there's a couple of build issues at this point that need sorting out (just includes and stuff that hasn't been merged over).
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Quote:Those of you running the VM image on windows, why not just play with the win32 build directly if you want to help develop? It's working with SDL/OpenGL - just load up the XBMC_PC.sln project in tools/win32.

I'll take a look at it. What version of VS do you recommend for it?

-b
jmarshall Wrote:Those of you running the VM image on windows, why not just play with the win32 build directly if you want to help develop? It's working with SDL/OpenGL - just load up the XBMC_PC.sln project in tools/win32.

Most of it should work, though there's a couple of build issues at this point that need sorting out (just includes and stuff that hasn't been merged over).

Is it possible to load the project in visiuals studio or what do you mean ?
How do i have to run/build xbmc under windows ? I hope this isn't a stupid question Blush
2003 .NET is what I use and recommend, though there is a patch for building the SDL/OpenGL version under 2005 (which is free I believe). You obviously need the SDL includes and libs for this.

For the directx version there isn't 2k5 project files available, but I'm sure they're easy enough to generate if you know what you're doing (probably just importing the 2k3 solution would do the trick).

Just load the project file with visual studio (tools/win32/XBMC_PC.sln), though if you have to ask, then perhaps it's not for you?

Thanks,

I will give it a try. But i have one question left :-)
what's difference between xbmc (for visual studio) and mediaportal ?
One is good and one isn't? :p

They're completely different codebases - the only thing in common is that they use a somewhat similar skin engine (though the codebase is once again completely different!) and that Frodo has worked on both.

Mediaportal is developed in C#, XBMC in C/C++.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Smile 
I would really appreciate it if someone took the time to write down the step-by-step instructions for how to compile XBMC for Windows with Microsoft Visual Studio (both for DirectX/Direct3D and for SDL/OpenGL if you can) and put those instruction in our wiki manual here => HOW-TO Compile XBMC for Win32 from source code.

Thanks in advance!
There is a post right here on the forums from today Gamester17 - it addresses building the directx version under visual studio 2005.

And I agree - a step by step (i.e. with the files necessary for SDL/OpenGL Win32) would be nice - it's best if someone does it while setting the environment up for themselves, as I've forgotten all the various things it required.

VMware Tools now available as open source software

http://www.vmware.com/company/news/relea...A902B83064

Open Virtual Machine Tools (open-vm-tools) is hosted at SourceForge, and the source code is available today to enable Linux vendors to integrate open-sourced VMware Tools into upcoming versions of their operating systems.

Open Virtual Machine Tools (open-vm-tools):
http://open-vm-tools.sourceforge.net
http://sourceforge.net/projects/open-vm-tools/
Question 
Time to update the VMware image to Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) and share via http://www.vmware.com/appliances/
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VMware Virtual Machine Development Enviroment for XBMC Linux porting effort1