phantom22:

This XML file works fine:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <musicextensions>
        <add>.mp4|.avi</add>
    </musicextensions>
</advancedsettings>

The .avi's show up in music files view no problem. One option for info would be some sort of external file as you suggest. Perhaps, infact, one could accomplish <some> of this already by use of a .cue sheet (containing just one track.)

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

perhaps this should be in the bugs forum, because after some more fiddling I've seen that everything is there, but it's just not working very well.

here's what I did:
tagged an entire album with Tag&Rename
the album was 10 wma's and one mp4 video
there is one folder.jpg for the cover art
and one .tbn for the mp4
I upload and scan all to database.

here's what I get:
The wma's are scanned, the mp4 is not

So I changed the mp4 to a .m4a and rescanned.
It worked, but of course now it only plays the audio.
but it's not using the filename.tbn as it's thumbnail.

So, apparently there is the ability to read the tags from mp4 files into the music library, it just needs to be enabled. Also, I've had this difficulty before with the thumbnails, so far the only way around it is manually editing the database.
Cached album thumbnail takes priority over single thumbs if it's already been cached (as will happen in your case).

And yes, mp4 atoms are probably the same regardless of the content of the file (video/audio) so the tag reader probably doesn't have a problem with it.

The main problem with mp4 is that we currently only determine "type" purely on extension. If you right click-> Play with DVD Player or Play with Mplayer it'll probably work OK though. For audio, paplayer takes precedence otherwise (and it knows nothing about video). This is IMO the most important of the issues, but without actually loading + parsing the file, there's no way to tell. I'll see if there is anything obvious that can be done as far as MP4 specifically goes.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Surely adding .mp4 to the music extensions should in fact get everything working as you want it?

My (music only) .mp4's then show up and play fine using the video players (mplayer by default).

Seems like this will solve the major issue at hand with no work on our part Wink

My room-mate is playing prince of persia right now, so this test may wait till morning but here's what I want to try:

Loading up an album without the folder.jpg, just the filename.tbn for the specific file. then after it's scanned adding the folder.jpg. if I understand correctly, the current thumbnail won't be replaced by the album thumb?

And your explanation of paplayer explains why it doesn't like the unexpected switch from video to audio, it probably just stays in Mplayer when you skip to the next track (thus no visualization?)

and yes, adding .mp4 to the musicextensions worked fine for file view, but it doesn't seem to be scanning them to the music library, so they won't show up in library view. When you "scan all to database" from the context menu, is this function affected by <musicextensions> ? or is there another extension list that controls what will and wont be scanned?
My .mp4 files scan in just fine. And yes, they're music only (generated with Nero recode or whatever it is)

I've given this some thought, because I've started to convert some of my music dvd's into avi files and tagging them with nfo files as music videos. They're added to my videos database and the music videos section of the music library.

What I would love is if my music videos could be integrated into the music database and show up as an album. For example album view of Guns N' Roses "Appetite", "Illusions I, "Illusions II" and then "Music Videos". This way I wouldn't have to switch the view from music to music videos and all my music videos would be sorted the way my whole music is.

Another fine thing of course would be if I could just add my music videos to music playlists or the now playing list by "enqueueing" them making this a mixed playlist handling my mp3 and avi tracks the same way. Now just nothing happens when I pick a music video and hit enqueue while music tracks are playing. Mixed playlists can be achieved through smart playlists but picking individual tracks for a smart playlist is quite tricky.

On a sidenote, why I chose avi as my format for music videos: Through some rather simple scripts I can adjust the volume of my videos to the same volume of my mp3's. Otherwise the files have quite different levels of volume. This was a whole lot more complicated in every other format I've tried.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Videos in the Music Library/Database0