KODIbuntu on a old pc
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I need help with Kodibuntu.
I have an HP Compaq NX6110 with 512MB of RAM and a 1.6GHz Pentium M CPU and I use it as a sort of SmartTV. I have installed Kodibuntu 14 Helix and (accidentally) upgraded to 16 Jarvis. But that's not the problem because while this PC has very low specs, kodibuntu works very good. It is smooth, I can watch TV on streaming and TV series on the HDD without problems.

THE PROBLEM IS
I have also a Toshiba 2450-S203 with similar specs (if not better) but when I tried to install Kodibuntu 14 I came across several problems:

1) The installation tokes me about 5 hours (I think because I used a DVD-RW but anyway that's a lot of time). It was very laggy and with some strange screens

2) At the end of the installation, when kodi boots up, it was completely frozen. I spend 10 minutes to move the cursor to the power button to exit from kodi and enter to lubuntu.

3) On lubuntu everything is good, not so laggy as kodi. I tried to do an sudo apt-get update to find some updates and download the nvidia drivers but it failed to connect to some repositories (internet connection is OK, tried some pings and loaded some pages from chromium)

4) The problem that made me say: "OK, let's throw this PC out of my window" is that while I was doing nothing in lubuntu, this screen appeared and I was able only to force shutdown the machine holding the power button. When I rebooted, I could only see this. I can't enter on kodi or lubuntu. I can't do anything. I'm stucked on this creepy screen.

WHAT I NEED?
1) Do you think is there a method to make Kodibuntu as usable as my other PC? Did I make mistakes?

2) Do I have to reinstall Kodibuntu, other versions, drivers?

Thanks in advice for the support and sorry for my bad English.
Here are the possible problems I can see:
  • You do not have enough RAM/barely enough to run Kodi smoothly without using the swap partition all the time.
  • The GPU is too old. Kodi requires an nVidia 6 series GPU or newer.
  • The systems you are comparing are not in the same league. The Pentium 4 is older than the Pentium M Centrino and is slower and more power hungry.

Have a look at this page on the Kodi Wiki:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Supported_hardware

You will most likely need to upgrade to something a bit more modern.
(2016-04-05, 03:28)J876 Wrote: Here are the possible problems I can see:
  • You do not have enough RAM/barely enough to run Kodi smoothly without using the swap partition all the time.
  • The GPU is too old. Kodi requires an nVidia 6 series GPU or newer.
  • The systems you are comparing are not in the same league. The Pentium 4 is older than the Pentium M Centrino and is slower and more power hungry.

Have a look at this page on the Kodi Wiki:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Supported_hardware

You will most likely need to upgrade to something a bit more modern.

Thanks man, I think you're right.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODIbuntu on a old pc1