Recommended graphics-adapter (video-controller/card)?
I'm curious as to what the developers are shooting for on video cards, I believe that nvidia has some decent drivers for linux and I think their are some decent Nvidia cards with good dvi,hdmi out .. ?

thoughts in video card specifics?
-------------
I Bare It All -Personal Blog
if you're read all info from us, Team XBMC, you know we will focus on 1-3 FUTURE platforms. these have not been decided yet, so I don't want to make someone buy product A when it might very well not be well supported in future.

But with that out of the way, it seems like ATI (amongst Nvidia & Intel) *could be* the brand with the worst linux drivers. Draw your own conclusions
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

yah, ATI's linux support is pretty bad. So i'd just ignore them for the time being.
Thumbs Up 
gateway69 Wrote:I'm curious as to what the developers are shooting for on video cards, I believe that nvidia has some decent drivers for linux and I think their are some decent Nvidia cards with good dvi,hdmi out .. ?

thoughts in video card specifics?

I would recommend getting an Nvidia card, unless you have ethical issues against using "non-free" drivers Smile

Nvidia's drivers are up to date in terms of OpenGL support and X support and they're quite stable.

If you absolutely need to get an ATI card, I wouldn't recommend anything released since the Radeon 9250, since that's the fastest card supported by Mesa DRI currently ( http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon ) AFAIK and fglrx, currently is not very stable. Hopefully, with AMD's management, ATI will catch up with Nvidia in terms of driver quality under Linux.
For Ubuntu Feisty, Nvidia is the way to go...
So, you say in the wiki that Shader Model 3 will be a requirement, but i didn't have a problem playing videos and naviagating the GUI on a GeForce 4 MX 440. AFAIK the xbox GPU was a souped up GeForce 3.

Shader Model 3 was also part of DX9, which the xbox doesn't support.

I guess I don't understand that requirement
You don't neccessarily need the latest most expensive card for xbmc.
I've tried it with integrated i865 and it's fast enough to run x264 720p smoothly with intel 805D without overclocking.
perrier Wrote:You don't neccessarily need the latest most expensive card for xbmc.
I've tried it with integrated i865 and it's fast enough to run x264 720p smoothly with intel 805D without overclocking.

that's odd. I got i945 gfx and 720p is NOT smooth here, and NO WONDER because there's NO hardware acceleration for Intel currently.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I have an Asus 7600GS pencilled in for my Linux box. Silent heatsink, PS3.0 support and 512mb RAM. Sound about right?
I've got a 1.42Ghz G4 mac mini lying around with 512MB RAM and internal ATI RV280 graphics, roughly equivalent to a 9200. Any chance of getting xbmc compiled for PPC linux? Is the graphics card fast enough to run it?
rodalpho Wrote:I've got a 1.42Ghz G4 mac mini lying around with 512MB RAM and internal ATI RV280 graphics, roughly equivalent to a 9200. Any chance of getting xbmc compiled for PPC linux? Is the graphics card fast enough to run it?

It's gonna be a lot of work and I'm not sure it's work the effort.
Pretty much what I expected. If you guys support it great, otherwise I'll pick up an appletv. I can't wait to get rid of my ancient xbox for linuxbmc!
getting rid of your xbox will take a while until we stabilize the linux port. In the team time start submitting bugs Smile
which nvidia is best supported driver wise? I'd prefer to output full time 1920X1080@60hz (svga/dvi) to the westy panel.

i know my geforce 6200 agp (nas) plays a few frames per second with a sempron 3100+.

I guess we have to think about how well the 8000 series drivers are supported (now and future) since they seem to have some pretty good power even on the low end
ok, I have decided to join the linux bandwagon...

other than
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/inde...quirements

is there any other hardware requirement (or baseline) that the devs are using ?

Thx
Houman

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommended graphics-adapter (video-controller/card)?0