Your Mythtv Backend?
I'm still struggling with tvheadend on the odroid. It sees my hdhomerun boxes fine, but makes a mess when it does the service mapping. I'm wondering if it's because Xenial (16.04) isn't officially supported. I'd really like to get this working though, so I'll keep at it.

Sent from my Moto G (4)
Experience: It's what you get when you were expecting something else.
@rpcameron > I just came this thread and saw you were wondering if MythTV can accept a form of an EDL from an external source. With correct formatting, I believe it can. I recall a --setmarkup option in the mythutil tool that can import an xml based markup into the recordedmarkup tables and such. I've never used it so I'm not even sure what the formatting of the file needs to look like. I imagine if you export a markup file with the mythutil --getmarkup option, you can see how it exports its format to a file. I haven't found much documentation on using these options, but this may get you started:
http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv...08135.html
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xeni...til.1.html
(2016-08-19, 22:15)zakaron Wrote: @rpcameron > I just came this thread and saw you were wondering if MythTV can accept a form of an EDL from an external source. With correct formatting, I believe it can. I recall a --setmarkup option in the mythutil tool that can import an xml based markup into the recordedmarkup tables and such. I've never used it so I'm not even sure what the formatting of the file needs to look like. I imagine if you export a markup file with the mythutil --getmarkup option, you can see how it exports its format to a file. I haven't found much documentation on using these options, but this may get you started:
http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv...08135.html
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xeni...til.1.html
Thanks for the reply. However, I've pretty much moved on from MythTV. I'm running Tvheadend now; although there are workarounds needed for CableCard tuners with TVH, it is MUCH more lightweight than MythTV. (MythTV's kitchen-sink approach, difficulty in using a database not running on localhost, poor channel editor and overall UI never set well with me.)

Ideally I would like to move to (or develop) something more purpose-built than a general PVR backend and a general media player like Kodi.
In my personal experience with tvheadend, I couldn't get it to "just work". I don't know if the problems stem from using Xenial or the hdhomerun boxes, but I couldn't get it to put together a usable set of service mappings. It seemed to scan fine, but when mapping services I kept ending up with duplicates and far more alleged services than actually exist. I tried all kinds of variations on the settings, but always ended up facing issues. I suppose that I could have manually massaged the results into something usable, nut that just didn't feel right for something that is supposed to be easy. I figured that id just wait until Xenial was officially supported and try again. Just a guess, but it smells like something may be embedded in the streams that is confusing the software into thinking that other muxes might contain alternative copies of the services/channels.

Sent from my Moto G (4)
It is common for a service to be present on more than one mux. And Tvheadend will always require more configuration than most other backends, but that's because of the way its architecture is designed; having a deb packaged for Ubuntu won't change that.
I have been using myth for years, and find setup simple. I havent ever been able to get tvh working properly.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-08-20, 00:00)rpcameron Wrote: It is common for a service to be present on more than one mux. And Tvheadend will always require more configuration than most other backends, but that's because of the way its architecture is designed; having a deb packaged for Ubuntu won't change that.
The issue is that it is creating mappings that simply do not work. I should end up with something like 100ish services from something like 18 muxes, it somehow comes up with close to 400. It creates mappings to frequencies that have no signal and incorrect mappings as well. I end up with like 5 or 6 sets of services that have the same logical channel numbers but different mux frequencies. IOW, it makes an absolute mess that is far too much work to correct manually. I don't know why since it correctly scans initially and finds the right muxes and the right number of services on those muxes. Its the mapping part that doesn't work, so I chalked it up to something incompatible in Xenial.

Mythtv has no trouble getting it right and neither did Windows Media center. I have no clue why tvh cant seem to do it. I've tried all kinds of tinkering with obscure options, I've dug through the logs, I've removed and reinstalled etc, it simply doesn't want to work for me.

Sent from my Moto G (4)
(2016-08-20, 00:36)nickr Wrote: I have been using myth for years, and find setup simple. I havent ever been able to get tvh working properly.
I definitely concur. I'd seen so much hyping of tvh that I figured it would be a piece of cake to set up. In my experience it turned out to be anything but that.

I'm going to try it on an older Ubuntu release and see what happens.

Sent from my Moto G (4)
I never thought TVH was simple. It's quite a pain to setup, but I have found that it has much lower overhead and is much more stable and consistent than MythTV ever was.

MythTV 0.27 was more stable than 0.28, and the transition to Qt5 was a bit of a disaster. Plus, the inclusion of he WebFrontend in its half-finished state, made the upgrade a bit of a hassle ... Especially since there have been so many bugs in Qt5.

In any case, this thread has devolved from its original purpose. My C2 is now the development platform for a new frontend, and my backend has migrated to i3, albeit running TVH.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Your Mythtv Backend?0