Why is it so hard to find a device that will do Netflix and stream from my NAS?
(2016-04-10, 13:54)MrMC Wrote: Just saying, refresh rate switching, meh. the down side is having to wait for the display to switch and settle. Then switch back when done, quite annoying for that last ounce of perfection. My display takes almost 10 seconds to switch and that kills the instant video startup feeling.

MrMC has the best rendering of 24Hz content on the AppleTV4, even Infuse can't figure it out Smile Renders pretty damn smooth too if you ask me.

How does it handle 50i deinterlaced to 50p and rendered at 60p? Unless it is doing something close to Snell Alchemist Ph.C levels of Phase Correlation and Block Matching to interpolate missing frames, I'll pass and keep refresh rate switching...

(Given that MrMC uses ffmpeg for software decode AIUI - could you be using the built-in frame rate conversion the BBC added to ffmbc, and which was folded into ffmpeg I think, a little while back. That's 80s-quality I believe)

For 90 minutes of high quality video playback at a native (or clean multiple of native) refresh rate I can cope with a couple of seconds of HDMI re-sync. After all I get it on my TV when I surf from a 576/50i to a 1080/50i or 720/50p TV channel too...

I'm assuming your smooth 24p on an ATV4 in MrMC requires a fixed 60p output refresh rate? Those of us in Europe who run at 1080/50p for clean and judder free playback of BBC iPlayer, SVT Play, TV4 Play, DR, NRK etc. catch-up TV in the ATV4 or Kodi apps (all 25p or 50p) aren't so lucky ? Or does it adapt to 50p (does it know the output refresh rate or assume 60p?)
(2016-04-10, 02:53)Shaitan00 Wrote: Why Dell Micro 3050 over D34010WYK1? Post seems to indicate D34010WYK1 is better Smile
50% le$$ Smile, as OP's needs don't appear to warrant D34010WYK1.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
The OP doesn't actually say they want to use Kodi. If their old WD TV Live fit their needs so well, why don't they just get another from eBay? Why all the fuss?

Unless of course they do want a device that also runs Kodi. If so, carry on ...
(2016-04-10, 09:12)BORIStheBLADE Wrote:
(2016-04-10, 05:19)Shaitan00 Wrote:
(2016-04-10, 04:00)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: You should be able to find something to do both, but sadly like other have found you're not gonna find one that will do both for under $100.00. A Roku 3 has been out for a while and still goes for $99.99. I'm sure the have dipped to $79.99 though..

But the Roku won't stream from my NAS, I'll need a PLEX server (so another PC running somewhere), I don't have a "server" I can use at the moment and really setting up another PC just for that isn't something I am inclined to due.

(2016-04-10, 04:10)tornicade Wrote: you could always get a push2tv for cheap. then you can use tablet, laptop or pc as remote

Not sure how Push2TV helps ... I don't have a PC (or tablet or laptop) I want to dedicate to any of this ... my WD today can work with my NAS and internet (for Netflix), I don't need any additional or external HW ... Using Push2TV for my needs amounts to the same as running a Plex server.

Do you have local content of your own or do you only use Netflix? If so you either need a NAS or you will need to run it off a external drive some how..

I use Netflix for new stuff mostly and local content (on my NAS connected to my router - not directly to the box) for kids cartoons I bought and converted years ago, home movies, etc... So today I have my box (WD TV Live) and my NAS+Router and that is all I need to do everything - Plex (and Push2TV) both seem to require an additional PC (server) to be running - if I go that route I'll just get a Roku....
(2016-04-10, 09:43)noggin Wrote:
(2016-04-10, 07:13)ian-ep Wrote: I'd say get a new (v4) AppleTV. It has native Netflix, Mubi and BBC iPlayer apps - which for me are the essentials for any box. Plus you can run MrMC (Kodi without all the cruft) for local content or, if you can be bothered, sideload a full Kodi installation.

Yes - though the Apple TV 4 is a similar price bracket to the nVidia Shield - and with far more compromises in the Kodi experience (no refresh rate switching being the biggie at the moment, along with more limited audio support)?

If you can get a Windows solution for $100ish - then that's definitely an avenue worth exploring.

You mean like the D34010WYK1 NUC or Dell 3050?
(2016-04-10, 20:12)Mike_xbmc Wrote: The OP doesn't actually say they want to use Kodi. If their old WD TV Live fit their needs so well, why don't they just get another from eBay? Why all the fuss?

Valid question - because the last generation of the WD TV Live no longer supports Netflix, I would need to find the previous model and that was damned near impossible. I ordered 1 off eBay (mis-labeled - was the new one) and one on local Kijiji same thing) - gave up trying to replace it with a model of the correct GEN.
You said you had a mybooklive.

Mobile Requirements:
•Personal cloud access with the My Cloud app requires a My Cloud, My Book Live, My Book Live Duo or My Net N900 Central with the most recent firmware.
•Access to cloud services requires the My Cloud app and an active Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive account.
•iOS iPhone or iPad running versions 6.0 or later software.
•Android smartphone or tablet running versions 4.0 or later software.

seems all you need is an android with lollipop. which android also supports Netflix.
Box: Matircom G Box AMLS812
Kodi: SPMC
Skin APPTV
Connection ADSL(11MPS) , Ethernet
Game Systems : Wii, PS3
Cable Provider: WOW! (Wide Open West)
Media servers (windows 10 PC) Mediaportal, Playon, Kodi

(2016-04-11, 02:50)Shaitan00 Wrote:
(2016-04-10, 20:12)Mike_xbmc Wrote: The OP doesn't actually say they want to use Kodi. If their old WD TV Live fit their needs so well, why don't they just get another from eBay? Why all the fuss?

Valid question - because the last generation of the WD TV Live no longer supports Netflix, I would need to find the previous model and that was damned near impossible. I ordered 1 off eBay (mis-labeled - was the new one) and one on local Kijiji same thing) - gave up trying to replace it with a model of the correct GEN.
Have you thought about an Amazon device? I use a Fire TV Stick and have my videos on an external hard drive connected via Pogoplug running ARCH Linux. Works great. And of course it supports Netflix. 1080 isn't always as clean as it can be but I don't have a lot of them. Just a thought, and an inexpensive one at that.

Idok Fire
(2016-04-11, 03:14)tornicade Wrote: You said you had a mybooklive.

Mobile Requirements:
•Personal cloud access with the My Cloud app requires a My Cloud, My Book Live, My Book Live Duo or My Net N900 Central with the most recent firmware.
•Access to cloud services requires the My Cloud app and an active Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive account.
•iOS iPhone or iPad running versions 6.0 or later software.
•Android smartphone or tablet running versions 4.0 or later software.

seems all you need is an android with lollipop. which android also supports Netflix.

Not sure how that works, I would access my NAS over the cloud? Meaning if I want to stream my shows it goes over the internet (from my home to the cloud back to my home)? I ask because I have limited bandwidth with my ISP and well it is all local in my house. Now assuming that isn't the case (hopefully) how exactly does this work? I buy a WeTek Core, install an Android app to access my NAS, and somehow I can play my media that way?

(2016-04-11, 03:45)Idokfire Wrote:
(2016-04-11, 02:50)Shaitan00 Wrote:

Have you thought about an Amazon device? I use a Fire TV Stick and have my videos on an external hard drive connected via Pogoplug running ARCH Linux. Works great. And of course it supports Netflix. 1080 isn't always as clean as it can be but I don't have a lot of them. Just a thought, and an inexpensive one at that.

Idok Fire

Valid question, I was just looking into the Fire, but as far as I can tell it is only supported (sold) in the US (and I am in Canada) ... Curious to know if that means NOTHING will work on only some US only channels... I only care about Netflix anyways ...
No cloud needed. Basically it is my NAS. I access it using SMB.

Idok Fire
(2016-04-10, 20:51)Shaitan00 Wrote:
(2016-04-10, 09:12)BORIStheBLADE Wrote:
(2016-04-10, 05:19)Shaitan00 Wrote: But the Roku won't stream from my NAS, I'll need a PLEX server (so another PC running somewhere), I don't have a "server" I can use at the moment and really setting up another PC just for that isn't something I am inclined to due.

Not sure how Push2TV helps ... I don't have a PC (or tablet or laptop) I want to dedicate to any of this ... my WD today can work with my NAS and internet (for Netflix), I don't need any additional or external HW ... Using Push2TV for my needs amounts to the same as running a Plex server.

Do you have local content of your own or do you only use Netflix? If so you either need a NAS or you will need to run it off a external drive some how..

I use Netflix for new stuff mostly and local content (on my NAS connected to my router - not directly to the box) for kids cartoons I bought and converted years ago, home movies, etc... So today I have my box (WD TV Live) and my NAS+Router and that is all I need to do everything - Plex (and Push2TV) both seem to require an additional PC (server) to be running - if I go that route I'll just get a Roku....

OK so if you had a regular PC as a server you wouldn't need anything else.The reason why you need another PC to run Plex server is because that NAS you have can't run it. What we are trying to say is get rid of your NAS and get a server/PC to store your content so you can run Plex if that's what you want to do..

I think that in time with a growing family you're going to out grow your setup and need to do this anyways with local content.

Personally I would consider staying away from Plex. Most people don't want to run the kind of CPU needed to let Plex do transcoding for most devices.

My issue with trying to run plex is I would need to rename several 10s of thousands of files to fir their naming scheme and I just can not do that. Any android box like the Wetek Core or Nvidia shield should easily handle both netflix and streaming from your NAS device.
I use an Amazon FireTV box with kodi for access to the movies stored on my NAS and with the Netflix and Amazon Video apps. It works great and is very simple to use (and quite cheap).
I don't think you understand what you have, Mycloud is your Nas server. its can be accessed via DLNA

System Requirements

•Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP (SP3)
•Mac OS X Mountain Lion, Lion, Snow Leopard or Leopard
•DLNA/UPnP enabled devices
•Internet connection for remote access
Supported Browsers
•Internet Explorer 8.0 or higher
•Safari 4.0 or higher
•Firefox 12 or higher
•Google Chrome 14.0 and later on supported Windows and Mac OS platforms
Package Includes
•Network drive
•Ethernet cable
•AC power adapter
•Quick Install Guide
•Downloadable software installation

You just need a device that has DLNa 1.5 and/or UPNP.

more from the website you bought your Nas from

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products....#Tab2&Tab9

The only issue your gonna have with Netflix is Lollipop and Marshamallow aren't translating some remote features (such as Scroll from the episode list)

Almost anything that runs Kodi and is DLNA certified will access your NAS.

So you want USB 3. Wireless AC , and a gigabit Ethernet port. and a device with android 4.1 or higher , Ios or some other distribution of Linux that runs Kodi.

that's out of your price range though so the amazon firetv with usb 2.0 and 10/100 Ethernet would work but your not utilizing your full network capability.

I also thoughtthis was a usb NAs when the product description indicates it plugs into the Ethernet.
Beelink minimxII, MXq Pro, etc.

Try Gearbest they ship to Canada and you can purchase in Canada currency. that will give you an upgrade from your current box for under 100 dollars. I didn't see any that were promoting "fully Loaded" Kodi so you should be able to find a cheaper box that doesn what ya want. stick tot he boxes that offer quadro or octa core and aquite a few of them have gigabit Ethernet.
Box: Matircom G Box AMLS812
Kodi: SPMC
Skin APPTV
Connection ADSL(11MPS) , Ethernet
Game Systems : Wii, PS3
Cable Provider: WOW! (Wide Open West)
Media servers (windows 10 PC) Mediaportal, Playon, Kodi

Not sure if I missed some weird requirement you have, but as mentioned in a previous post, Amazon Fire will do both fine. I have the AFTV box ($99) and it works great with Kodi reading the files via SMB from my NAS (WD MBL) and plays Netflix just fine. I have setup the AFTV stick ($40) for a couple of friends/family and also works just fine.
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why is it so hard to find a device that will do Netflix and stream from my NAS?0