• 2(current)
Android MXQ Box
Virtually 100% of these cheap Android boxes from EBay or Amazon are rubbish, especially the ones with No support.

The best bet is to Search for OpenELEC or LibreELEC and Freaktab via Google to install these Linux OS's that includes a good working version of Kodi on these problematic S805/S905 boxes. Ditch Android all together.

Here is something to get the MXQ S805 LibreELEC guys started:
https://forum.libreelec.tv/forum-38.html

MXQ Pro S905's and OpenELEC:
http://amlinuxmedia.com/forum/index.php
(you need to register)

A bunch of these boxes are just clones of all the rest.

Probably cheapest solution is OrangePI for 15$ (Raspberry PI clone). It runs Openelec very well on my OPi pc, with official Kodi included. Currently almost bug free gui is as smootch as on my pc, wifi, bluetooth audio, hw decoding (including 4k/hevc but not 10bit), no problems. Also built in ir sensor, so very easy to use any remote (easy setup with irrecord/lirc)
(2016-06-04, 02:04)giaur Wrote: Probably cheapest solution is OrangePI for 15$ (Raspberry PI clone). It runs Openelec very well on my OPi pc, with official Kodi included. Currently almost bug free gui is as smootch as on my pc, wifi, bluetooth audio, hw decoding (including 4k/hevc but not 10bit), no problems. Also built in ir sensor, so very easy to use any remote (easy setup with irrecord/lirc)

I think you are very mistaken. Orange Pi's use Allwinner SoCs, and those have been nothing but trouble with Kodi. There is no official version of Kodi or OpenELEC for Allwinner hardware.
Yes I know that. But unofficial builds are excellent currently. It's much more than I could expect for this price. Video decoding with CedarX/Kodi has no problems (but yes, not suppoted officially)

It's actively developed/maintained:
https://github.com/jernejsk/OpenELEC-OPi2
and you guys should stop calling it "clone". it is everything, but a clone.
Yeah. All they have in common is a "<fruit>PI" name, to fool uninformed people...
They even don't get it right, because an orange pie? Beurk...
Actually, all software for *pi clones is a crap. But unofficial Openelec is an exception. I suspect it's much better than unofficial Openelec for MXQ mentioned here.

There is however a hope for Allwinner socs, thanks to linux community:
http://linux-sunxi.org/Main_Page

This makes excellent Openelec build even possible.

For MXQ boxes I rather wish anybody could build Cyanogenmod instead of Openelec
I seriously doubt an unofficial OpenELEC on a OrangePI would be anywhere near the stable OS status that kszaq has across a number of AMLogic S805 devices running LibreELEC.

Plus do you actually know what a good OpenELEC or LibreELEC image can do on a S905 ?

You can doubt, but I can say the same... Do you actually know or you doubt because you think it's not stable? Progress is huge, now it's stable enough to use as daily driver. And performance is equal or even better than Rpi 3. Now I'm using Openelec on Orange Pi PC, with Ralink wifi usb dongle, Kodi with Transparency skin and I see absolutely no issues. Playback is smooth (even 4k), gui is smooth too (even on such animated skin)

Regarding to MXQ, I wish I could test it, but it looks like too risky for me. If I brick unsupported device, difficult to find any help. I'm rather going to leave it as is.
please, dont tell us how great cedarx is.. some of us have been there Wink
I have no idea if it's great or not, but it actually worksSmile at least for movies I have
so where would you recommend that I purchase a good reasonably priced box from ?? .. Kodi Virgin and working to improve !
Nvidia Shield? Minix? WeTek?
Guess was lucky I got this from Amazon while it was available and it's been great.

Pigflytech® MXQ 2nd generation (Red) Quad Core Android TV BOX Streaming Media Player, Amlogic S805 Chip! Pre- Loaded KODI (know as XBMC)Nod
KODI 18 on a fire tv cube. Aura(18) skin. Trakt supporter.
Aha, so you request from users to be "politticaly correct" but that doesn't apply to you when you speak about your beliefs? Imagine someone here calling Kodi "crap"Huh Would you like that? You are the same extremist as anyone. Either we behave like civilized human beings or we don't. Don't offend anyone. There simply is no need to use words like "crap". You can state what you don't like about something, but word "crap" just tells me your fanatic.

Copy/paste? Who cares about copy/paste? I have this box for couple of months and I never even figured ot copy/paste doesn't work (if it really doesn't). You really edit something on Android box that you'd need copy/paste?

Updates? What updates!Huh Samsung doesn't have updates! The development is going so fast that getting updates is Sci-Fi. At least this box is cheap you can buy a new one each year (unlike Samsung phones which cost 20x more)

Wifi is a bit slow, that is true but cable works just fine.

Anyway, for the price, it is a great box. If it is loaded with bloatware, you can uninstall all of it and install clean Kodi, as I have done....
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MXQ Box0