Are FTP locations read only?
Hi,

I was just wondering if when adding a new network location and choosing FTP, are these read only?

I'd really like to be able to write to an FTP location as then I can do things such as backing up settings and using them on other machines or editing them (if needs be in an external editor) before placing them back into Kodi again.

Is there therefore any way of making an FTP location able to be written to also?

Many thanks.

Mark
Permissions need to be set to allow writing to FTP. Procedure varies by OS.
Kodi Nexus on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 22.04 | Kodi Nexus on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
>>>>> Newest MetalChris Addons: Redbox | NEWSnet | NHL Radio | Weather Unlocked
(2016-04-11, 00:32)MetalChris Wrote: Permissions need to be set to allow writing to FTP. Procedure varies by OS.

Hiya. Thanks for the reply. The FTP settings are indeed set to enable write (even tried 777) and so no go unfortunately. Just never get any options to do anything such as create new folder or copy a file from Kodi across unfortunately.
(2016-04-11, 01:04)markbowen Wrote:
(2016-04-11, 00:32)MetalChris Wrote: Permissions need to be set to allow writing to FTP. Procedure varies by OS.

Hiya. Thanks for the reply. The FTP settings are indeed set to enable write (even tried 777) and so no go unfortunately. Just never get any options to do anything such as create new folder or copy a file from Kodi across unfortunately.

If you are using a Unix based OS (even Windows with NTFS) the file system permissions on the folder and subfolders you are trying to share
need to be set as well.
(2016-04-11, 01:26)J876 Wrote:
(2016-04-11, 01:04)markbowen Wrote:

If you are using a Unix based OS (even Windows with NTFS) the file system permissions on the folder and subfolders you are trying to share
need to be set as well.

Hi again. Thanks once more for the advice on this. I had actually set those too and again have tried them with 777 too but it still doesn't seem to work unfortunately :-(

Not really too sure what I'm doing wrong though. Is there any way to test my FTP folders from with Kodi in any way to see what's going on or any kind of debugging I could do to see why this is having a problem?

Thanks again in advance for any light you might be able to shed on this as it's very much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Mark
Some further questions:

What OS are you using?
What file system are you using on the disk sharing the folders?
In the case of Unix/Linux who owns the folder (user:group)?
What FTP server are you using?
Have you set up the FTP server with a Static IP address (not a DHCP allocation in the router) and the correct subnet mask?
(2016-04-12, 01:23)J876 Wrote: Some further questions:

What OS are you using?
What file system are you using on the disk sharing the folders?
In the case of Unix/Linux who owns the folder (user:group)?
What FTP server are you using?
Have you set up the FTP server with a Static IP address (not a DHCP allocation in the router) and the correct subnet mask?

Hi,

I'm running Kodi on iPhone and iPad (non jailbroken). I'm going to have a word with my internet host though as I believe you may be on to something in the line of questioning regarding the owner / group etc

Seem to remember something a little bit like this before so will see if it's something on that end of things.

When you mentioned FTP server I'm not too sure what you meant by that, sorry?

I have a website which is hosted online and I placed the FTP connection details to that into Kodi as a new network location and was accessing it in that way. There isn't an FTP server in Kodi that I should be using is there?

Thanks again for all the help, it's much appreciated.

Mark
Ah now I see what is going on here.

What I meant by FTP server is one that you can build yourself, not one provided by a web host/ISP for a website.

Some side notes:

You should also note that if you are using plain FTP over the internet it is not encrypted and prone to a
man-in-the-middle attack. Anyone can intercept in plain sight what you are uploading and downloading.

Also be aware that your webhost/ISP will see everything on your website if they are hosting it with their servers. Including
media you upload to your website.

Make sure all the material you have on your website you have obtained the rights to use it. Don't unintentionally violate copyright and/or the webhost/ISP terms of use.
Hiya,

Yep all those points but all I really want to use it for is to backup certain settings such as skin settings so that I can move them across to another system easily.

Still waiting for an answer from the host to see if there's something stopping this from working.

I also have SFTP support on the server but that wouldn't even connect from within Kodi so not too sure what was wrong with that.

Best wishes,

Mark

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Are FTP locations read only?0