Dolby Atmos (passthrough maybe)
Video 
Hello everyone,
first of all, I'm new here and I am introducing myself to the forum with this post! Big Grin
Second, comes my question:
I have just built myself a Dolby Atmos home theater room, with a 5.1.4 speaker configuration. With Kodi, am I able to play Dolby Atmos content (such as demos or new movies), and if yes, how? I have a Dolby Atmos compatible AVR, so I was wondering if I could just set Kodi to passthrough the audio and let the AVR do everything.
Thanks in advance!
if you have a device/OS that can pass thru Dolby THD or DTS HD-MA, then Atmos should pass thru all the same - I know it does on Intel hardware running OpenELEC.
I use Ubuntu 14.04 with Kodi set to use ALSA, and have a Radeon HD 5450, so I suppose it could work (right?). Anyway, tomorrow I will try and tell you what happens, thank you very much for the answer!
Radeon HD5450 can do it in theory - but not on the old and outdated 14.04 kernel. See your kodi.log if you only see FL,FR for your hdmi connection -> no chance. Install the latest -lts kernel via the package manager.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-04-11, 01:11)Matt Devo Wrote: if you have a device/OS that can pass thru Dolby THD or DTS HD-MA, then Atmos should pass thru all the same - I know it does on Intel hardware running OpenELEC.

Is this true of all Atmos flavours or just the True HD one? AIUI in Europe quite a few releases have True HD with Atmos for the original sound track, but dubbed tracks have DD+ with Atmos (the bitrate budget for multiple True HD tracks is presumably too high, but they want to include Atmos still?), which is more problematic for some solutions. (Yep - DD+ is being resurrected...)
Only TrueHD. That being said: I never checked what happens on linux / windows with EAC3 + Atmos as I don't have the hardware.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-04-11, 15:32)fritsch Wrote: Only TrueHD. That being said: I never checked what happens on linux / windows with EAC3 + Atmos as I don't have the hardware.

Same here. I have no Atmos content nor hardware at the moment.
(2016-04-11, 15:32)fritsch Wrote: Only TrueHD. That being said: I never checked what happens on linux / windows with EAC3 + Atmos as I don't have the hardware.

Thanks for the replies, today I tried some Dolby demos to see how it would work.
The first time all went perfectly: my AVR detected that the PC was sending an audio track to be processed, it detected the Atmos track and it sounded awesome. But from the second time on, without having any of the settings changed, the PC didn't passthrough the audio (my AVR was receiving the standard LPCM stream), and all I could hear was a "ffffrrrssscchhhh" sound. The major problem is that this doesn't happen just with Atmos videos, but also with Dolby TrueHD 7.1/5.1 tracks (I haven't got any dts movie to test currently): I know it isn't a hardware problem, because the first time it worked, so it's Kodi that for some reason couldn't passthrough. Any idea about what this could be due to?
I am using fglrx drivers: could this be a problem?
We don't support fglrx at all. It is 0% support on kodi. Besides that: no Debug Log no issue.

Edit: Just try OpenELEC / LibreElec from USB stick - that way you exactly know if it's working. DD the image and enter live when booting from usb stick.
fritsch openelec version runs fine with eac3 + Atmos Smile
(2016-04-11, 19:07)fritsch Wrote: We don't support fglrx at all. It is 0% support on kodi. Besides that: no Debug Log no issue.

Edit: Just try OpenELEC / LibreElec from USB stick - that way you exactly know if it's working. DD the image and enter live when booting from usb stick.

Is there any way to attach log files, or I just have to copy and paste the content here? Also, should I use component specific logging set to log audio, or should I log everything?
Regarding my issue, it seems that if start the video (and the audio doesn't work), after I wait some time and I hit play, it starts with no audio problem: so maybe is a caching problem...
pastebin.com - if you post logfiles with fglrx no help is possible.
(2016-04-11, 20:40)fritsch Wrote: pastebin.com - if you post logfiles with fglrx no help is possible.

Thanks for all the answers.
In the end, I solved my issue adding "tsched=0" in the udev loading string, since I found that this could be helpful in the PulseAudio page in the wiki, and now it works perfectly!
I know I shouldn't use fglrx, but I had to install them in the past because of a problem with my previous gpu, and now I prefer to wait for Ubuntu 16.04 before switchin back.
Anyway, thanks for all your support! Is there any "thanks" button or something like that?
pulseaudio cannot do TrueHD passthrough, but if you are happy - we are also happy. Remember: There is no hw acceleration with fglrx, everything is decoded by the poor CPU.

We have seen that you pressed the imaginary "thanks" buttong - all fine :-)
(2016-04-12, 10:41)fritsch Wrote: pulseaudio cannot do TrueHD passthrough, but if you are happy - we are also happy. Remember: There is no hw acceleration with fglrx, everything is decoded by the poor CPU.

We have seen that you pressed the imaginary "thanks" buttong - all fine :-)

I know, in fact I am starting Kodi with ALSA.
Happy that you got that thanks! Blush
Just one last question: will Kodi, Radeon OSS drivers and, well, passthrough audio work fine as soon as Ubuntu 16.04 comes out, or should I wait some time before updating?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby Atmos (passthrough maybe)0