Mimic skin not working
http://kodi.wiki/view/Userdata

Sent from my Nexus 6
I just tried to install the Mimic skin and got stuck at the empty home screen.

To change it back I did the following (my apple tv is not jailbroken btw):
1. installed iExplorer on my mac
2. connected the apple tv to the mac
3. in iExplorer I browsed to "Apps -> Kodi -> Library -> Caches -> home -> addons"
4. then I deleted the folder called "skin.mimic"
5. restarted Kodi (and since Kodi couldn't find the mimic folder anymore it used the default skin instead)
(2016-04-27, 17:28)jgudtmann Wrote: I just tried to install the Mimic skin and got stuck at the empty home screen.

To change it back I did the following (my apple tv is not jailbroken btw):
1. installed iExplorer on my mac
2. connected the apple tv to the mac
3. in iExplorer I browsed to "Apps -> Kodi -> Library -> Caches -> home -> addons"
4. then I deleted the folder called "skin.mimic"
5. restarted Kodi (and since Kodi couldn't find the mimic folder anymore it used the default skin instead)

Yeah, works great, but not for jb Apple Tv 4. What we need is Apple File Conduit 2 installed via Nito, then we can gain root access from any file manager and delete the skin.
(2016-04-18, 22:11)Buck0Satan Wrote: I would happily post logs, but when I change to the skin I have to reinstall Kodi, as I cannot get out of the front mimic page (home screen). If someone can tell me how to get out without reinstalling on the ATV4 I will post logs, there are literally no buttons to click on.

I figured it out! you're going to thank me!!

Apple tv 4 Jailbroken 9.0 NitoTV with Kodi (any version)

If you installed mimic, and you get the background with the bar and no buttons, ssh into your apple tv via terminal (mac) or putty (windows).
Input your password and type this into the terminal:

cd /var/mobile/Library/Preferences (yes add the capitals!! very important)
Hit enter and type ls and enter again

you should now see a list of .plist files.

type: rm org.xbmc.kodi-tvos.plist (hit enter after this)

resort koi and Voilà! back to the regular skin!
(2016-04-29, 21:23)blah555 Wrote:
(2016-04-18, 22:11)Buck0Satan Wrote: I would happily post logs, but when I change to the skin I have to reinstall Kodi, as I cannot get out of the front mimic page (home screen). If someone can tell me how to get out without reinstalling on the ATV4 I will post logs, there are literally no buttons to click on.

If you installed mimic, and you get the background with the bar and no buttons, ssh into your apple tv via terminal (mac) or putty (windows).

Is that not removing more settings than just the skin?
It should be possible to ssh to the addons folder and remove only the mimic skin - i'm not jailbroken so I can't test it, sorry (bought my atv on 9.1) - but since you have root access it must be there...
So, no one wants to post a debug log and figure out why the menus aren't loading?
(2016-04-30, 21:44)braz Wrote: So, no one wants to post a debug log and figure out why the menus aren't loading?

I'm gonna install it again now - then i'll get back to you Wink
(2016-04-30, 21:44)braz Wrote: So, no one wants to post a debug log and figure out why the menus aren't loading?

No one has access to the logs on Apple tv 4 just yet to post on here. All we can do is wait until mimic is updated for the new kodi when it finally releases
(2016-04-30, 21:23)jgudtmann Wrote:
(2016-04-29, 21:23)blah555 Wrote:

It should be possible to ssh to the addons folder and remove only the mimic skin - i'm not jailbroken so I can't test it, sorry (bought my atv on 9.1) - but since you have root access it must be there...

No, technically the settings (guisettings.xml) are re-written within the .plist file that was created upon installing kodi through nitoTV. I've used ssh to navigate to the add-ons folder and there is no mimic skin once kodi is deleted and reinstalled. The only solution is to remove the .plist file as I explained above, this forced the Apple tv to write a new plist file to the default skin, the old plist file was set to load mimic even after a fresh install. If you have 9.1 installed, and you've reinstalled kodi via xcode, but still have the mimic skin coming up then you'll need to restore and update. After that, sideload kodi and you should have your default skin back.
(2016-04-30, 22:00)blah555 Wrote:

No one has access to the logs on Apple tv 4 just yet to post on here. All we can do is wait until mimic is updated for the new kodi when it finally releases
Nothing will get fixed until someone posts a debug log. I'm doubtful there is even anything wrong with Mimic, sounds like you just don't have all of the dependencies installed.
(2016-04-30, 22:09)braz Wrote:
(2016-04-30, 22:00)blah555 Wrote:

Nothing will get fixed until someone posts a debug log. I'm doubtful there is even anything wrong with Mimic, sounds like you just don't have all of the dependencies installed.

I just solved the problem without logs needed. And no mimic is not the problem, it's kodi. It's just simply not compatible to use all the skins just yet, currently under development. However, once the official, stable version is released, it should work. And yes, before I installed mimic on mine, I got all the required dependencies installed prior, but the skin just didn't load. Like I said kodi is still in beta, even most of the builds from various wizards don't work just yet.
@blah555

Looking back through this thread I see you installed Kodi through nitoTV, something I hadn't heard of before. That's likely the reason some skins don't work. If it's not installing a very recent Kodi nightly, any skins that have been updated to use the new "include" syntax will not work. If you want Mimic 4.x to work, you should install the latest Kodi 17 nightly from kodi.tv.
(2016-04-30, 22:08)blah555 Wrote:
(2016-04-30, 21:23)jgudtmann Wrote:
(2016-04-29, 21:23)blah555 Wrote: I figured it out! you're going to thank me!!

No, technically the settings (guisettings.xml) are re-written within the .plist file that was created upon installing kodi through nitoTV. I've used ssh to navigate to the add-ons folder and there is no mimic skin once kodi is deleted and reinstalled. The only solution is to remove the .plist file as I explained above, this forced the Apple tv to write a new plist file to the default skin, the old plist file was set to load mimic even after a fresh install. If you have 9.1 installed, and you've reinstalled kodi via xcode, but still have the mimic skin coming up then you'll need to restore and update. After that, sideload kodi and you should have your default skin back.

So you're making a fresh install or removing kodi to remove the skin? I didn't have to do that - I just removed the skin when kodi was still running.
I'm not stuck with the skin - just trying to help the people that are stuck Smile
(2016-04-30, 22:39)braz Wrote: @blah555

Looking back through this thread I see you installed Kodi through nitoTV, something I hadn't heard of before. That's likely the reason some skins don't work. If it's not installing a very recent Kodi nightly, any skins that have been updated to use the new "include" syntax will not work. If you want Mimic 4.x to work, you should install the latest Kodi 17 nightly from kodi.tv.

The skin is not working for me too - I have sideloaded kodi 17 atv4

How can I send you the log? (If you want it - it's right here at my desktop, all ready)
(2016-04-30, 22:43)jgudtmann Wrote: The skin is not working for me too - I have sideloaded kodi 17 atv4

How can I send you the log? (If you want it - it's right here at my desktop, all ready)
Post it on xbmclogs.com or pastebin.com and post the link here.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mimic skin not working0