v16 Add on removal
Hello all,

I have an Android box with Kodi etc. There's an add-on installed that will not allow me to remove it by the normal means, file names greyed out. It keeps wanting to update itself but but can't for some reason and I just want to get rid of it. Is there a files way to remove it or, at least, delete the update file so it won't try to update? I don't want to turn auto-updates off if possible.

Cheers,

-Mick
Normally there are two reasons for this, either the add-on is relied on (a dependency of) another add-on, or you have a customised version of Kodi with various add-ons pre-installed and it has been changed to disallow those built-in add-ons to be removed.

If you're in the first category then you need to see which add-on may be dependent on the one you're trying to remove and remove that one first.

If you're in the second category, then you'll need to consider either removing your Kodi install completely and install a vanilla one and rebuild (although that may break some features of your box if the original one was customised to make them work) or get in touch with whoever sold you your box and get them to fix their mess.

Can you be more specific about the add-on(s) involved and the make/model of the box?

If all else fails and you have shell, external file manager or remote access (ssh or suchlike) into the box then you can manually delete the add-ons folder, but again that may risk messing things up if other stuff is relying on the add-on you remove.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks Darren,

The box is a GOOBANG DOO MX5 and the add on is IPTV Stalker which is a naughty subject here I believe? I don't want it nor need it hence it's winding me up because I can't stop it trying to fail updating. There are a couple of other things relating to IPTV but not Stalker, maybe they are dependent?

-Mick
It is yes, although assisting in the removal of such junk is the only discussion relating to the banned add-ons (wiki) which we tolerate here, so we can try and assist in the removal.

If IPTV isn't something that you use then you can try uninstalling related stuff and see if it frees things up to remove it. If it doesn't work then some of the other options above may be possible if you have access to terminal access or an external file manager (not the one in Kodi) on the box.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Job done thank you, I managed to delete the update file using an external file manager.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add on removal0