Kodibuntu - switch to autologin
I have a Kodibuntu box that was originally installed using Kodibuntu 14.0 install media. I keep it updated using apt-get, so I am now running the latest Jarvis and all available Ubuntu updates.

When I did the original install, I did not choose "auto login" via the installer, so it requires me to enter my user password when booting. I would now like to change this to auto-login, but I can't quite figure out how.

I have changed /etc/lxdm/default.conf to contain:
Code:
autologin=mark

and my /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf looks like this:
Code:
[SeatDefaults]
xserver-command=/usr/bin/X -bs -nolisten tcp
autologin-user=mark
autologin-user-timeout=0
autologin-session=kodi
user-session=kodi
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter
allow-guest=false
default-user=mark

However, when I reboot, the greeter still appears and requires my password before launching Kodi.

What am I missing?

Thanks.
Did you try having a look in the folder

/etc/lightdm

to see if there are any subfolders?

On my Ubuntu setup, I have the Lubuntu desktop with LightDM and there is the following subfolder:

/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d

and inside that folder there was this file (for other desktop environments, like Unity, this may be different):

20-lubuntu.conf

I edited this file to enable auto-login.
(2016-04-15, 16:49)J876 Wrote: On my Ubuntu setup, I have the Lubuntu desktop with LightDM and there is the following subfolder:

/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d

and inside that folder there was this file (for other desktop environments, like Unity, this may be different):

20-lubuntu.conf

I edited this file to enable auto-login.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I just tried copying my [SeatDefaults] settings to /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/20-kubuntu.conf. No change. It still asks me to login with my password.

Any other suggestions out there?
Another troubleshooting tip:

Do you have LightDM as the default display/desktop manager?

Open a terminal and enter the following:

Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

and press ENTER.

Then set LightDM as the default display/destop manager from the list and select OK.

Next, reboot your Kodi machine.

See if that helps.
Hmm.
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
provides no output and does not present a list to choose from. I thought this was because LightDM was the only display manager intalled by kodibuntu. However, after rebooting my problem is solved. My box now automatically logs me in. Thanks a lot for the suggestions!
It is strange that terminal command didn't work, I looked it up on the Ubuntu documentation/Wiki.

Anyway, I am glad that the problem was solved.
(2016-04-16, 15:10)J876 Wrote: It is strange that terminal command didn't work, I looked it up on the Ubuntu documentation/Wiki.

I wouldn't say that it didn't work. I'm not sure why it had no output, but I'm convinced that it solved my problem. Thanks again.
(2016-04-16, 19:27)FletchF Wrote:
(2016-04-16, 15:10)J876 Wrote: It is strange that terminal command didn't work, I looked it up on the Ubuntu documentation/Wiki.

I wouldn't say that it didn't work. I'm not sure why it had no output, but I'm convinced that it solved my problem. Thanks again.

You're welcome.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodibuntu - switch to autologin0