manually edit settings.xml
This is a real newbie question.

The Amber look created in this thread is amazing.

I have the xml files (major appreciation for making those available).

I tried adding that formatting to Amber's settings.xml and push the updated file to my fire tv but nothing changed.

How do you use those xml files to change the settings?

Thanks in advance!!

----------------------------

Scratch this question.

The xml files are edits to the actual skin (in the addons folder, the zip file skin.amber-2.2.5.zip is a copy of the skin, change the required files (on your computer) then push them to the correct location in addon_data/skin.amber). I'll get the hang of this!!
(2016-05-01, 17:40)splarty Wrote: This is a real newbie question.

The Amber look created in this thread is amazing.

I have the xml files (major appreciation for making those available).

I tried adding that formatting to Amber's settings.xml and push the updated file to my fire tv but nothing changed.

How do you use those xml files to change the settings?

Thanks in advance!!

----------------------------

Scratch this question.

The xml files are edits to the actual skin (in the addons folder, the zip file skin.amber-2.2.5.zip is a copy of the skin, change the required files (on your computer) then add from zip file). I'll get the hang of this!!
Just remember that the Includes_Vertical_Home.xml file will change with the addition of the new static vertical home screen in the next Amber update. Just copy and paste the necessary changes for the "Main Left Blade" and "Sub Left Blade".
(2016-05-01, 14:55)teszey Wrote: So sorry if I'm being a complete pain, but ive spent countless hours pouring over xml files, I never managed to figure out how to do exactly what u done, which is making that menu less wide. it looks so so much better but. where do I change the position of all the shelfs? would like them to sit up against the new "blade" width. as it is they are sitting quite some distance from it, starting where the original menu would have ended. Also I would love to drop the hight of the shelfs to the ground in some cases so that I could see more fanart. How hard are these changes to make?

This is a question that I have!!

Anyone got any tips for this ?

Appreciated!

p.s. @mjbxx thank you for the "heads up"!!
(2016-05-02, 00:44)splarty Wrote: Anyone got any tips for this ?

There are lots of places that code needs to change for this to happen but I have made some changes and simplifications in my Krypton testing branch but I'm not going to port then to Jarvis as it takes quite a bit of fiddling around. Happy for you to check my changes and back port them to Jarvis :-)

An image of what I've done so far is here.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5C...hoto%2cjpg

And the commit for the changes is
https://github.com/joethepartylion/skin....b0b4393178

Thanks.
(2016-05-02, 18:56)joethepartylion Wrote: There are lots of places that code needs to change for this to happen but I have made some changes and simplifications in my Krypton testing branch but I'm not going to port then to Jarvis as it takes quite a bit of fiddling around. Happy for you to check my changes and back port them to Jarvis :-)

An image of what I've done so far is here.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5C...hoto%2cjpg

And the commit for the changes is
https://github.com/joethepartylion/skin....b0b4393178

Thanks.

The new look is really much nicer than the original Amber Skin. Is that the new font you've talked about? Can we still go with the classic Amber capitalization of the letters? If so is it possible to have it for Jarvis?
any chance of making an option to put the shelfs lower tho? as it is when choosing fan art, I am always looking for pictures that are a little blank on one side and then have nothing important in the middle as well. Can be kind of limiting lol
lol ... the message below was written before I refreshed the page ... looks like I just reinvented the wheel!!

Success, I edited the `'Includes_Vertical_Home.xml'` file and the shelf bar is now aligned with the menu bar.

If you change, some of, the <posx> and <width> options (the obvious ones that relate to tags that coincide with shelf contents), making sure to reduce the <posx> value by the same amount that you increase the <width> value then all runs smoothly (you get very odd formatting otherwise).

Thanks again for this modification. Amber definitely looks better for it!!
ok so I managed to move the position of all the actual posters down. but where are the references to the shelf itself? what actual section? sorry if I'm daft, I'm new at all this. It looks amazing having the posters sitting at the bottom. I will have to find a whole lot of knew art now that I don't feel so limited Smile Just need to move the grey part first lol
Did this discussion run out of gas?
I guess we'll have to wait for Krypton to come out to see what the next version of Amber looks like.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
manually edit settings.xml0