OS X Is Mac mini a good Kodi Media Player?
I have been using my Mac Mini (Late 2011 I think) as a media center for running Kodi coupled with a Universal remote and a Denon [email protected] Surround. I am wondering if this is really the best media center to use or I am missing out on other features that devices like nvidia Shield provide.

What are you thoughts? shall I leave everything as is or shall I start considering upgrading to something like Shield?
Plenty of opinions here, do a little research:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

Also have a search of the hardware forum as these questions have been asked (and answered) countless times.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
I did read that link, but I am not sure where my Mac Mini falls in terms of the categories listed. The post does say " Apple Mac's running OSX or the ATV4 are all not listed here, even tho Mac's run Kodi very nicely with a couple of annoying limitations". Does that mean it is in neither of those categories?

How can I find the hardware capabilities of my Mac Mini, i.e. what does it support from these features:

"All the devices listed below support important, Kodi core features. These include:
HDMI 1.4
Dynamic refresh rate switching, based on source video's fps.
24p, if you are visually sensitive to video panning <--> judder this is important.
5.1 Audio Passthrough
3D SBS/HSBS playback (Half resolution)
8-bit H264/AVC/mpeg2 (+more) Hardware video decoding
Nicely synced 23.976fps video output and finally....
Quality video deinterlacing for Live TV and to support PVR users.

Bonus features on various platforms, some of which are fast becoming mainstream:
10-bit vs 8-bit Is it all just marketing hype ?
4K and HDR - High Dynamic Range
Is 4K really that important at this present point in time anyway, see 4K limitations HERE
Hi10P Anime decoding.
Full 1080p 3D
HDMI 2.0
H265( HEVC) hardware decoding at up to 4K - output at up 60Hz if using HDMI 2.0
Built in S/PDIF - Optical
VP9 decoding for 4K YouTube at 60Hz
Dolby Atmos / 7.1 HD Audio passthrough (bit streaming)
HDMI CEC remote control."
Basically if you do a lot of light gaming or use DRM Video streaming Apps like Netflix, HBO, etc in addition to Kodi, then the Android TV OS versions of those on the Shield will be a lot easier to use than using a mouse and browser on a TV screen. But you will get better than 480p resolution for Amazon Instant Video using a browser than using the App on the Shield.
Compare Video Streamers HERE

Concerning video, you will get properly synced Fractional Display mode (23.976/29.97/59.94fps) output from the Shield that you cannot get with any Mac due to an OSX limitation. However run Windows on a Mac (Intel Haswell and above) with Bootcamp and these are available. If you are not video judder sensitive this won't make a difference.

Both the Shield and Mini will only give you 8-bit video output using Kodi. The Dual Core i5 Mini should have the grunt to Software decode up to low bitrate 2160p 10-bit HEVC video, HEVC Hardware decoding on the Shield. Your Mini is a Mid 2011 Intel i5 I believe, I've tested low/mid bitrate 2160p 10-bit decoding on my Quad Core Mid 2011 i5 iMac. Ultimately 2160p HEVC Hardware decoding is better and preferred.

Not sure about 4K/2160p video output. You would need a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter .
EDIT: looks like the 2011 Mini is limited to a resolution of 2560x1600 over that spec of Thunderbolt.

Better deinterlacing video quality out of the Mini using Deinterlace = Yadif, although I believe running a recent SPMC version may fix this on the Shield.

7.1 HD Audio Passthrough on the Shield. 7.1 HD Audio decoded to Lossless Multichannel Audio output on the Mac Mini. OSX Limitation. Really no Audio quality difference. 7.1 HD Audio Passthrough again if running Windows on the Mini. The BT Remote with the Shield has an Audio output jack I believe for private A/V use.

Unless you need Android Apps or are having major Kodi GUI usability issues with the remote you have I do not see a lot of advantage to upgrading.
Need Mid/High bitrate 2160p HEVC decoding I would get a Shield. Not a lot of 2160p content around at the moment apart from Test clips and 4K/2160p Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.

(2016-04-16, 07:48)wrxtasy Wrote: Basically if you do a lot of light gaming or use DRM Video streaming Apps like Netflix, HBO, etc in addition to Kodi, then the Android TV OS versions of those on the Shield will be a lot easier to use than using a mouse and browser on a TV screen. But you will get better than 480p resolution for Amazon Instant Video using a browser than using the App on the Shield.
Compare video Streamers HERE

Concerning video, you will get properly synced Fractional Display mode (23.976/29.97/59.94fps) output from the Shield that you cannot get with any Mac due to an OSX limitation. However run Windows on a Mac with Bootcamp and these are available. If you are not video judder sensitive this won't make a difference.

Both the Shield and Mini will only give you 8-bit video output using Kodi. The i5 Mini has the grunt to Software decode up to low/mid bitrate 2160p 10-bit HEVC video, HEVC Hardware decoding on the Shield. Your Mini is a Mid 2011 Intel i5 I believe, I've tested 2160p 10-bit decoding on my Mid 2011 i5 iMac. Ultimately 2160p HEVC Hardware decoding is better and preferred.

Not sure about 4K/2160p video output. You would need a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter and I'm not sure if the Mini would be limited to 2160p at up to 30Hz. This depends on the HDMI version used.
Better deinterlacing video quality out of the Mini using Deinterlace = Yadif, although I believe running a recent SPMC version may fix this on the Shield.

7.1 HD Audio Passthrough on the Shield. 7.1 HD Audio decoded to Lossless Multichannel Audio output on the Mac Mini. OSX Limitation. Really no Audio quality difference. 7.1 HD Audio Passthrough again if running Windows on the Mini. The BT Remote with the Shield has an Audio output jack I believe for private A/V use.

Unless you need Android Apps or are having major Kodi GUI usability issues with the remote you have I do not see a lot of advantage to upgrading.
Need Mid/High bitrate 2160p HEVC decoding I would get a Shield. Not a lot of 2160p content around at the moment apart from Test clips and 4K/2160p Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.

Thank you so much! Based on the above I concluded that it makes sense to stay with the Mac Mini, however to overcome the audio and other limitations of OSX, I should install Windows on it.
Yes, use Dual Boot - Bootcamp on it to run Windows and a bunch of OSX Audio and Video limitations will disappear.
Plus if you use Windows 10, there are Apps like Netflix available.
https://www.apple.com/au/support/bootcamp/

You may even be able to play Full 1080p 3D MVC ISO's, see the dedicated thread about that.
Some of the guys over in that thread are using Trial versions of Windows 10, without needing to register.

I use a mid 2011 Mac mini myself. Like wrxtasy said boot to Windows. Only issue I have ever is the fan is very loud. I did some research and it looks like when swapping the HDD I didn't transfer the monitor so that is why it always kicks on.

Sent from my XT1254
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
The 2011 macs will work fine if using Windows or Linux.
The version with the AMD GPU will properly support fractional refresh rates (at least after checking some boxes in the control panel and deactivating overscan, at least in Windows 8.1 or earlier. Windows 10 might have better defaults), whereas the standard model with Intel GPU will not be as precise.

I replaced my Mac mini 2011 for a Haswell Celeron Chromebox since I thought it was overkill to use a Mac mini dedicated for Kodi duties.
Pre Intel Haswell Mac Mini's and PC's had the 24p Bug, so as Soli said fractional refresh rates will no be 100% accurate, but good enough for the masses Wink

re: fractional refresh rates:
that used to really annoy me a lot previously, as I use my main macbook air also for kodi. I do it under OSX, because plugging in 3 cables is not much of a hassle, rebooting is. so I endured the stutters, grudgingly.
but ever since helix the combination of 'sync playback to display' and 'adjust display refrsh rate' works very well. it plays in 24,000 fps obviously, but the stutters of earlier versions are gone. it even works with passthrough (sd) audio without pops or hisses. I am not sure how exactly, because this is not really supposed to work. I think my receiver just filters out the pops effectively.
I suppose if I had a dedicated mini I would still use Openelec (or maybe Windows), but I just wanted to share that at least for me OSX's limitations are pretty much worked around by the awesomeness of Kodi.
(2016-04-16, 17:58)wrxtasy Wrote: Pre Intel Haswell Mac Mini's and PC's had the 24p Bug, so as Soli said fractional refresh rates will no be 100% accurate, but good enough for the masses Wink

Hmm - I think the masses deserve good pictures too... (And you can get round the fractional issue if you don't mind decoding the audio by using "Sync Playback to Display" - which is one of the reasons that option exists)
I have a early 09' mini, works great w/ 5.1 & 1080p.

But I have a new Roku 4K tv in my bedroom (1080 in living room), so after reading this I know my mini will be restricted to my 1080TV... so for a kodi box to fulfill my 4K needs, I'll have to either wait/hope that Apple announces a 2017 4Kcapable mini, or buy a New Shield?
4K Kodi only (non HDR) - LibreELEC or OSMC on dedicated Hardware.

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is Mac mini a good Kodi Media Player?0