Linux Switch from old PPA to new Snap package for Ubuntu 16.04 and onwards?
(2016-04-26, 00:54)J876 Wrote:
(2016-04-25, 09:22)fritsch Wrote: The insane nightmare here is rather: Vendors package their software with all libs included in a snap container. Now there is a security bug discovered in one of those libs ... the vendor stops caring (cause he had to redo the complete snap package), but keeps it as is - cause "it works ™" ... this will be huge security nightmare for every administrator that needs to make sure a secure system :-(

Absolutely correct.

You guys do realize that this is what Kodi does on Windows (more or less), OS X, iOS, Android, etc? The world has not caught on fire there (in relation to Kodi). Let's not pretend that HTPCs are in the same category as a production environment server or some business critical device. A single bundle might not be perfect, but it's often better than the alternative (people never upgrading anything because they have an older system/hardware/whatever).

Plus, Kodi has some existing and well documented security flaws right now, in Kodi itself, that have no near term fix. If security is an argument in this discussion then it doesn't matter. Any version of Kodi is already insecure.

@qp9013625 please stop talking. Any good concepts/situations/arguments for snap will be killed for Kodi because you are being a dick about the whole thing. You are hurting your own argument/goal.
Yeah - it is done on windows, android and others cause of the retarted system policies - no global package manager, no chance to build against system libs :-( huge blobs with bugs are the result.

I think you still know how unbelievably hard it is to build the toolchain for windows and how much pain is involved to get packages bumped and compiled.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
My comment was not about how hard or easy it is. I don't know what a toolchain is or how to compile (outside of following cut and paste directions). My comment was in reply to the claim that it would be a security issue. I have never had a security issue with bundled libraries for Kodi on OS X, Windows, iOS, or Android. (or even Xbox).

If the reason to not do this is because it's too much of a support burden, or if no one wants to, that's fine. However, the security argument and the binary size argument are silly. We have 10 years worth of data that show security (of bundled libraries) has never been an issue. (On the other hand, Kodi-specific code does have some know security issues, but they're honestly not majorly concerning due to the nature of media centers).

That being said, I honestly don't care if this snap is used or not. I don't think it would be a big deal for most Kodi users, as most of them would be better served using a packaging system for Kodi. I like packaging systems and do think they are a better delivery system for such things, At the same time, I don't think it's fair to claim that there would be a realistic security concern, in context to Kodi ;)
(2016-04-17, 22:26)qp9013625 Wrote: Wrong.

Seriously, Snap packages are the best thing that happened to Linux in years.

No offense, but, are you sure you understand what's the difference between PPAs and Snap packages?

KODI should definitely switch from PPAs to a Snap package

PLONK!
(2016-04-26, 06:47)fritsch Wrote: Yeah - it is done on windows, android and others cause of the retarted system policies

Yeah, you are right and all the others are wrong...

Think I got it now...

(2016-04-27, 05:04)FishOil Wrote: PLONK!

(2016-04-27, 16:18)qp9013625 Wrote:
(2016-04-26, 06:47)fritsch Wrote: Yeah - it is done on windows, android and others cause of the retarted system policies

Yeah, you are right and all the others are wrong...

That is usually the case with fritsch.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
For now I only posted arguments and asked questions. None of the questions was answered and also that guy did not even lift a finger to prove his ideas, just a fully demanding attitude while not being aware of technical difficulties and not being able to solve the questions raised, but instead he posted some pictures, perhaps he should become an artist instead.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-04-28, 08:18)fritsch Wrote: For now I only posted arguments and asked questions. None of the questions was answered and also that guy did not even lift a finger to prove his ideas, just a fully demanding attitude while not being aware of technical difficulties and not being able to solve the questions raised

Let's face it: Even if all the questions would be solved, you would still be against it. You simply don't like the concept of Snap packages, just as you don't like the way it's done on Windows, Android, Mac OS X and the likes, even though those have millions of users, whereas Linux Desktop has just a few...

So it probably wouldn't even make sense to answer/solve those questions anyway, at the end of the day you would still hate those "retarded" Snape packages and all those that attempt to do something similar.

(2016-04-28, 08:18)fritsch Wrote: but instead he posted some pictures, perhaps he should become an artist instead.

At least you enjoy the images. Might wanna have a look at Uncle Dolan's channel then:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheUncleDolanShow

Quote:Let's face it: Even if all the questions would be solved, you would still be against it. You simply don't like the concept of Snap packages, just as you don't like the way it's done on Windows, Android, Mac OS X and the likes, even though those have millions of users, whereas Linux Desktop has just a few...

Nope - I only decide on technical arguments. What I feel about certain broken platforms does not really matter. So come up with a snap package, show us how easy it is to maintain, so that our packagers can review it and then we decide on that technical base.
@qp9013625
The time you wasted on finding or making Dolan memes could be better spent on making the snap package for us.
It's so easy and straightforward and wonderful that it takes less time to make a snap than to make a meme in ms paint.
@qp9013625

It really is a technical issue. One release for XBMC (this was a few years ago) almost didn't include a binary from the PPA because of a lack of manpower. Thankfully, someone was found to take that over. If Mac OS or Windows lost all their developers then you would probably see those platforms no longer supported as well.

If someone wants something and the manpower is there, then it will be given fair consideration.
FYI: I've looked into snaps, cause I like the security that could be gained. After fiddling and fixing issues for 2 days I have kodi running, but only in devmode, which means completly unconfined, so zero extra security over normal debs.
At this point I'm stuck, since ubuntu devs removed the possibilty to provide fine grained control over apparmor and seccomp for whatever reason and the builtin permission system is not nearly enough to make kodi work. see https://github.com/ubuntu-core/snapcraft...44d64989df

TLDR: its currently not possible to package kodi as snap properly.
(2016-05-07, 12:18)wsnipex Wrote: FYI: I've looked into snaps, cause I like the security that could be gained. After fiddling and fixing issues for 2 days I have kodi running, but only in devmode, which means completly unconfined, so zero extra security over normal debs.
At this point I'm stuck, since ubuntu devs removed the possibilty to provide fine grained control over apparmor and seccomp for whatever reason and the builtin permission system is not nearly enough to make kodi work. see https://github.com/ubuntu-core/snapcraft...44d64989df

TLDR: its currently not possible to package kodi as snap properly.

Thanks.

Why don't you file a bug report or feature request over at the Ubuntu bug trackers then?
You feel so entitled you can tell others to do stuff? Why don't you try to do something yourself, instead of complaining others aren't doing what you want them too?
(2016-05-07, 12:28)keith Wrote: You feel so entitled you can tell others to do stuff? Why don't you try to do something yourself, instead of complaining others aren't doing what you want them too?

I am not telling anybody what to do.

It was merely a question.

If he likes the concept and idea behind Snaps but finds that it is lacking something in particular that he is missing from it to become applicable to KODI, then the most natural thing would be to approach the Ubuntu developers and tell them.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switch from old PPA to new Snap package for Ubuntu 16.04 and onwards?1