Android I'm so confused. Minix U1 or Nvidia Shield?
Thank you, deaded! Just what I've been waiting for!
Not trying to hijack this thread but I went through the process of Minix U1, Nexus player and the shield.

I just ordered the minix u1 with the A2 remote mainly because of prices of the shield with remote here in Australia, the remote (A2 lite) looks good for navigation and browsing the Web, and it runs Android rather than Android TV mainly for apps (Chrome and Tasker for instance). I also wanted 4K @ 60Hz mainly for the resolution of UI as I don't watch much 4k. The plan is to mainly run Kodi with emby add on to link to my server over wifi AC, and use Chrome with tabs and ok navigation without a bulky or seperate keyboard/mouse.

I have no interest in games or Netflix HD where this box is going.

But I have just realised there was a third option of a chrome box like the ASUS ChromeBox (M060U)...

Have I made a small mistake? Thing is these m060u get more expensive, about the same as the shield, by the time you add a remote with air mouse and keyboard as well so thinking the minix was an ok choice defined by my requirements above.
Pete, you did not hijack this thread. Your post is precisely on-topic.

Unless you enjoy tinkering with hardware and operating systems, I think you chose wisely getting the Minix U1, rather than the ChromeBox. And, based on my experience with my new Nvidia Shield, I don't think you chose poorly between those two alternatives.

Now, what do I mean by the double-negative legal speak of that last sentence? I like my Nvidia Shield, but – if I had to do it over again (knowing what I know now) – I might have saved some money and gotten the U1 instead. [Although, since I already was quite content with my 1½-year-old Minix X8-H Plus, I might have waited for Minix to come out with a box based on the Amlogic S912 chip.]

Like you, I'm not a gamer. I went with the Shield because it's specs are somewhat superior to the U1 and I was fascinated by the remote control currently packaged with it. I'm not unhappy with my choice, but I'm not enamored either. I don't notice that much difference running Kodi (actually SPMC), other than it is slightly faster and can do 60 fps 4K (but then so can your U1). With one significant exception, I do not like the Nvidia remote. Too few keys for easy Kodi/SPMC operation. I much prefer using my inexpensive Rii Mini i7 remote. The one significant exception is the microphone on the Nvidia remote: I love the voice search feature with SPMC!

BTW, I also have the Minix A2 Lite remote. I used it occasionally with my X8-H Plus for text entry, but I preferred the smaller Minix M1 remote for most Kodi use. [FYI: The M1 remote is now back in stock at GeekBuying (for 14.26 AUD).] The similarly small Rii Mini i7 remains my all-time favorite, but the much larger A2 Lite is a great mulifunctional remote (although too large for my personal taste as a media player remote).

Enjoy your new Minix U1 and A2 Lite! [And consider trying out the android-specific SPMC fork of Kodi. You can run both it and Kodi side-by-side on the same box.]
Hey Don. Thanks for your informative post. Great to hear.

Ive got the Mele f10 deluxe that I've barely used as I changed to using my phone and tablet as a remote (unified remote and eventghost) so might pull that back because I'm leaning towards using a remote again.
You're very welcome, Pete! Personally, I don't like using my smart phone as a remote. The shape and lack of tactile feel are less appealing to me than a small, button-press remote. Also, I like to use my smart phone as a "second screen" to explore ideas (even silly ones) that are triggered by what I'm watching. FYI: The Mele F10 appears to be functionally similar to the Minix A2 Lite. Perhaps you'll comment here and/or on the Minix forum about their respective strengths and weaknesses.
I found the experience with the smart phone very much like you mentioned. I had high hopes at the start, even bought a dedicated small tablet for it.... Just didn't seem to end like I expected..

I'll report back here for sure and I've just signed up on the minix forum and created a topic about an ir blaster.

I like multiple buttons so I can set up steps of commands using tasker (instead of eventghost) perhaps so one button press to open kodi and go to certain TV channel for instance (lazy turn on TV in the original before work).
Want to point out what really matters in this discussion. The Nvidia Shield is the the only OS that is utilizing Android Marshmallow at this point and is rapidly moving toward Android N. It appears that the Shield is literally the cutting edge box with no obstacles in its way moving forward. Sure, go ahead on uncertainty and spend $30 - $100 on boxes every year to upgrade or make a one time purchase (currently $200 with remote included) of the Shield and be on the bleeding edge of Android TV development.
(2016-05-29, 08:13)mjbxx Wrote: Want to point out what really matters in this discussion. The Nvidia Shield is the the only OS that is utilizing Android Marshmallow at this point and is rapidly moving toward Android N. It appears that the Shield is literally the cutting edge box with no obstacles in its way moving forward. Sure, go ahead on uncertainty and spend $30 - $100 on boxes every year to upgrade or make a one time purchase (currently $200 with remote included) of the Shield and be on the bleeding edge of Android TV development.

This is exactly what I have been through, cheap, troublesome boxes and now have a Shield about to be delivered next week!
Don,

First I want to apologize. I told you how great the remote is and I'm so sorry you are not happy with it. I absolutely LOVE it. I never have to look at it and there is nothing I can't access with 2-3 clicks. The whole 'long press' thing is great. I also LOVE being able to plug my earphones in and not bother my wife. I'm glad you waited until the remote was free!

I agree with you regarding the smart phone remote. It's really cool and I love the idea but I never use it because you have to look at it and turn it on each time. I did get a remote with the air-mouse and I like it but not nearly as much as my nVidia remote. I also have used my Harmony One which controls everything else attached to our TVs and it's great, but even though it's an extra thing in the living room I still find myself using the nVidia remote. So if you ever want to sell it, let me know. I'm sure one of these days I'll break one of mine and it would be good to have a spare.
(2016-05-29, 08:13)mjbxx Wrote: Want to point out what really matters in this discussion. The Nvidia Shield is the the only OS that is utilizing Android Marshmallow at this point and is rapidly moving toward Android N. It appears that the Shield is literally the cutting edge box with no obstacles in its way moving forward. Sure, go ahead on uncertainty and spend $30 - $100 on boxes every year to upgrade or make a one time purchase (currently $200 with remote included) of the Shield and be on the bleeding edge of Android TV development.

I'm not sure I'd see the benefits of android 6+ for a kodi and internet browser box would I?

It wasn't really the price tag that deterred me but thing is I want android, not android TV rather than side loading certain apps, and I have no interest in games so it appears the processor and GPU of the Minix U1 will be fine for my usage. So on paper I don't see the need for the processing or gpu power as it should handle kodi fine from what I understand.

I'm feeling good about my purchase as I have good ideas using apps like tasker to customise the experience.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I'm so confused. Minix U1 or Nvidia Shield?0