Prevent Windows sleep command when television recording is in progress?
Hi! Is there a way to prevent a Windows system command to put the system to sleep when Kodi is in the middle of recording a television show? I've been using Kodi for about 8 or 9 months now after Microsoft all but abandoned Windows Media Center last summer, and this is the one aspect of WMC that I can't seem to figure out how to configure with Kodi.

Quick background on why I'm asking: I have the hardware button on our HTPC's case set up to put the system to sleep. If someone accidentally presses the wrong button on our Harmony remote, it will trigger our HTPC to go to sleep while the remote turns on another device. OR, if our little toddler decides once again to press the big glowing power button on the front of the case, it again goes to sleep. Most of the time, that's not a big deal, but if Kodi happened to be recording a show at the time, it stops doing so, and the system proceeds to go to sleep, leaving me with a partial recording.

Previously, when WMC was in the middle of a recording, my system would ignore the power/sleep command. Is there anyway to get my HTPC to have that same behavior when Kodi is recording? I'm using Kodi 16.0 on Windows 8.1.

Thanks!
Try MCE Standby Tool "away mode"
(2016-04-19, 17:14)k4sh1n Wrote: Try MCE Standby Tool "away mode"

That program hasn't been updated in over 5 years, and hasn't had a non-beta release in almost 8 - the site doesn't even list Windows 7 as a recognized version of Windows. Is this tool still useful today? Also, what does "away mode" allow me to do? I can't tell from its brief description on that site. Thanks!
Away mode is somewhat what you asked in OP

Quote:Is this tool still useful today?

The question is subjective, maybe try it and see if its useful to you, dunno bout 8.1, but works fine on Win 7.
Since kodi doesn't do any of the recording, i guess it's up to the backend solution to take care of this.
You shouldn't need to install extras if waketimers are properly implemented.
I use dvblink and it schedules recordings as native scheduled tasks. This way waking up a sleeping system prior to a scheduled 'timer' works great as well...
(2016-04-21, 04:56)k4sh1n Wrote: Away mode is somewhat what you asked in OP

Quote:Is this tool still useful today?

The question is subjective, maybe try it and see if its useful to you, dunno bout 8.1, but works fine on Win 7.

So, if I understand it correctly as I'd never heard of Windows' Away mode before this program, running this tool means a recording will keep going in the background even if the system leaves its normal running mode and enters Away Mode? I don't have any of the example problems listed on the MCE Standby Tool page, so I want to make sure this specifically suits my needs.

Thanks a lot!
(2016-04-21, 09:46)Atreyu Wrote: Since kodi doesn't do any of the recording, i guess it's up to the backend solution to take care of this.
You shouldn't need to install extras if waketimers are properly implemented.
I use dvblink and it schedules recordings as native scheduled tasks. This way waking up a sleeping system prior to a scheduled 'timer' works great as well...

As someone still relatively new to Kodi, what exactly does your first sentence above mean? The timer is set in Kodi, and it reflects that in the Kodi user interface that a recording is setup for a given program. I know the PVR backend and client are set up in addition to Kodi (and what a pain it was to get that all worked out, coming from WMC!), but isn't Kodi still starting up the recording process and telling the PVR what to do? This is getting a bit off-topic I realize, so feel free to point me elsewhere for this question and leave it at that.

Thanks!
Kodi just sends messages to the back end (to record/schedule a recording) The backend does the work. My backend and Kodi are in the same machine, I can exit Kodi and the recording will still happen becuase the backend is still running...
I've posted essentially this same question over on the NextPVR forum, since that's my backend. It sounds like my original question should essentially be phrased, "how do I make NextPVR act like WMC when it comes to respecting a Windows sleep command?"
I don't have much experience with nextPVR, but the same principle should apply no matter what backend is in place.
NextPVR takes care of the recording, thus keeping the system awake.
Try and see if 'allow waketimers' is set in your power settings. This way, your system should wake prior to a recording if it happened to have entered sleep mode as well.
Hope you get a nexpvr spexific answer from their forums..
Thanks Atreyu, I haven't gotten a definitive solution from the NextPVR forums just yet. Incidentally, my system wakes up from sleep for recordings just fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Prevent Windows sleep command when television recording is in progress?0