Kodi vs AVR upscaling
Hi,

I have a RPi3 running Kodi and I love it, runs really nice.
Now I'd like to add a 5.1 home theater system in the mix.

I have been looking at a lot of AVRs, trying to decide, and the one thing I can't figure out is upscaling.
Kodi has the option to enable upscaling. Is it any different to what the AVR upscaling does? Is AVR upscaling any better?
I know it probably depends on the AVR, but speaking in general, is there any noticeable difference?
Is there any point in using both? I can't find any reason why there would.

I guess there could be a small benefit of not running the processing on the RPi and saving some processing power, but I doubt it would make any real difference.
Kodi on RPi3 runs really good. The only problem are x265 videos, but since there are no hardware decoders, I doubt that the little more processing power from not doing upscaling would help a lot.

If there is no real difference I will get a lower end AVR, for a lot less money, and have it upscale from Kodi (if needed).

As a side note, I rarely do any upscaling at all, because most of the videos I watch are already 1080p, which is the max my TV supports.
PI uses a quite advanced upscaler in very good quality. As you also want to watch 1080p movies, the output resolution of the PI is most likely 1080p, therefore the AVR upscaler is never triggered. Keep it as you have it.

When upscaling from 1080p to 2160p this question is more vaild (though not a question on the PI as it can only output 1080p and in that case the AVR needed to be used anyways).
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi vs AVR upscaling0