Safe advancedsettings.xml settings that could be moved to the GUI
This is just my own feedback, not necessarily a request or expectation or anything like that. I simply went through advancedsettings.xml (wiki) and noted the ones that I thought would be "safe" for including in the GUI, under "advanced" or "expert", in hopes of planting the idea in someone who knows how to make these changes.

<assfixedworks> (under <video>) - position behavior of ass subtitiles when setting "subtitle position on screen" set to "fixed". True to show at the fixed position set in video calibration. False to show at the bottom of video (default).

<lingertime> (under <epg>) - Limits how far "back" the PVR guide goes from the current time. Time given in minutes.

Under <videolibrary>
<backgroundupdate> - set to "true" to hide the video scanner dialog from the GUI
<cleanonupdate> - Cleans the library when a library update is preformed.
  • Maybe controversial? It's one of the more common as.xml settings that people ask about on the forums.

<ignoreerrors> (under <videoscanner>) - Set to true to silently ignore errors while scanning videos. This prevents the error dialogue box, so you don't have to keep hitting "yes" to keep scanning.

<clienttimeout> (under <samba>) - Samba connection timeout. Default is 10 seconds. Maybe apply this to <curlclienttimeout> as well, which also defaults to 10 seconds.
  • I use this one a lot simply because my HDDs on my NAS take a while to spin up. This is becoming more common with larger HDDs and "green" HDDs. However, it might just be easier to raise the defaults for various timeouts.

Maybe fanart and thumbnail res as well, but that's not really "common"? Maybe?

MySQL was added to the GUI in the Kodi fork MrMC, since you can't use advancedsettings.xml files there. I know people have been split on this, but I thought I would mention it since some of the work has already been done by MrMC, and so far those users haven't had the world end ;)

Anyways, what do people think? What would you promote to the GUI? What would you keep in the as.xml file?
advancedsettings.xml does work in MrMC now. Originally we hide the file manager and profiles but those are now exposed.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
(2016-04-22, 15:04)MrMC Wrote: advancedsettings.xml does work in MrMC now. Originally we hide the file manager and profiles but those are now exposed.

Nice!
(2016-04-22, 09:14)Ned Scott Wrote: <lingertime> (under <epg>) - Limits how far "back" the PVR guide goes from the current time. Time given in minutes.

This. I have an add-on which would benefit from a larger value. One day is just too short, three days would be nice. I don't want to ask a normal user to edit the settings by hand.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Safe advancedsettings.xml settings that could be moved to the GUI1