Sony Android X85C Ambilight Project
Hi all

Well after moaning about the Hue addon not working with SPMC on my Sony android tv for a few days I decided to try a new project.

Initial tests working fantastically well and was so quick and easy to do.

Using Hyperion on a Raspberry Pi Model B running latest Openelec with WS2801 LED strip, connected to SPMC on Android TV via Hyperion addon.

Took a little calibrating and LEDs need fixing properly to back of TV but was very impressed.

https://vimeo.com/163865391
nice, can you explain the setup a bit further, i thought you needed a adrino uno or something hooked to the lights, is the RPI taking the place of that?
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
Yeh purely an old Pi that I dug out and connected directly to the LED strip via the GPIO pins.
(2016-04-22, 23:47)schweppy Wrote: Yeh purely an old Pi that I dug out and connected directly to the LED strip via the GPIO pins.

ok thanks for the reply, the part i dont fully understand is how this works. so you have Openelec on the PI, but your using SPMC installed on your TV as your playback device? how is your device (your TV) sending the information to the PI?
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Yes exactly which is why I had to look into it a bit more to make sure it did what I wanted. But someone has made a Hyperion addon that acts as a remote to send video signals to the Pi (acting as a server). Openelec on the Pi purely coz that was easiest and minimalist, you can do it with other OS I believe.
This is the addon I have running in SPMC on the TV -

http://raspberry-at-home.com/control-lig...r-network/
(2016-04-23, 00:08)schweppy Wrote: This is the addon I have running in SPMC on the TV -

http://raspberry-at-home.com/control-lig...r-network/

ok thanks a bunch, ive been holding off because i wasnt sure about using an uno or a teensy but i have raspberry pi2 here id love to use for this, You don't even have a connection directly from the TV to the RPI, i just installed the addon on my HTPC and this all just works over the network? amazing..

any issues or drawbacks you've found?
Yes exactly that. I was surprised it worked so well! The addon sends everything to the Pi over the network. Simple!

It took a while to calibrate but you can download Hypercon app from the Hyperion wiki page and mess around with the settings until it's just right.

There is even a Hyperion iPhone and Android app so that the lights can be remote controlled. Brilliant!
Now using this in conjunction with the Phillips hue addon so that on starting a film, the living room lights dim down and the ambilight comes on. Runs perfectly!
Did you guys manage to keep the lag down? I just tried it and had a perceptible lag, especially in faster scenes. Also, is it possible to set more than just the grabber size and frame rate (e.g. hidden json file)?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony Android X85C Ambilight Project0