Solved EPG Data
I don't want to double post on the same issue, but I am sure visitors to this forum may be better equipped to help with some of my issues. My original post about this issue (and others) http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=270785

Soft:
Windows 7 SP1 x64
Kodi Jarvis
WinTV
NextPVR

Hard:
Hauppauge WinTV DVR HD1600 + antenna
Intel Dual Core 2.8GHz
3GB DDR2

Basically, NextPVR has an option to update EPG data during live tv. Which is checked. but I noticed yesterday that half of my channels didn't have any EPG data and had to update it manually. is there a way to set this up to automatically download EPG data even if I don't launch NextPVR or watch live tv that day? Please keep in mind that I do not have internet and can only download EPG data via OTA.

Also, any and all suggestions on how to remove commercials altogether pre-or-post transcode? I'm looking into comskip, comclean, and MCEBuddy, but I want to try and accomplish this with as few different apps as possible. Going to need to transcode to mp4 so that I can successfully stream over wifi to my laptop and those gigantic .TS files just buffer forever even with advancedsettings.xml cache adjustments.
First go into your NextPVR and under channels make sure your EPG is set to DVB/ATSC for all channels. Then go to MISC2 and enable the Auto EPG update and set a time you want to update. As far as cutting commercials. I tried comskip and MCEbuddy but had mixed results. Honestly if you don't mind taking the few minutes to run through the programs yourself it really doesn't take much longer. I use VideoReDo. I can encode the files afterwards however I want. For items I want to leave in the recorded folder I leave them as TS files. Some things I want to move in to the TV SHOWS folder and I encode those as MKV files.
All my channels are set as DVB/ATSC, and I have the Auto EPG update checked and set for 5AM. I've been experimenting with different times because it still seems like its not working and I have to manually go in and hit the update button. (very irritating as I don't always have time to do so and have already missed a few scheduled recordings due to this issue.

I've run a few test files through MCE Buddy. The quality settings in the guide were a little low, so I changed it to High quality MP4 conversion +15% quality. Got a half hour episode of Dog Whisperer down to 500MB and crystal clear. Commercials are still included but I will test the commercial removal tools included with MCE Buddy for my next test.

The PC I'm using to do this is not the most powerful machine in the world, and it took about 4 hours to reencode that 1/2 hour episode. This is okay with me because luckily there is a scheduling option and CPU Priority settings. I will not be transcoding everything I DVR, but if a new episode of Family Guy airs, I'm going to want it in my library with the rest of the series (and sans commercials).
Since I'm not planning on transcoding and removing commercials from EVERY thing I DVR, manual commercial cutting might end up being the winner. Does anyone know how accurate the commercial removal is with MCEBuddy?
Alternatively, is there a program or website where I can download a file with the EPG listings from the internet while at work which I can later import to NextPVR? I could do this as often as once a week if needed.
Since you mention an HVR-1600, I assume you're in North America. There is no decent broadcast EPG in that part of the world. You typically only get 6 hours or less, which is next to useless.

Most people in that part of the world use Schedules Direct for listings. Not having internet access complicates things though. You might be able to download Schedules Direct listings to xmltv, then feed that to NextPVR. Personally, I'd just try to find a way to get internet access from that machine, greatly simplifying things for yourself...
Believe me, if internet on that machine were a possibility right now I would be smooth sailing. At the moment, due to the difficulty in getting NextPVR to auto-scan episode data (wish it would allow me to schedule multiple tries) - I am wanting to find something that will allow me to download a week to a month's (or more) worth of episode guide data while at work, and bring it to that machine and integrate it into NextPVR. I'm also looking for a FREE option to do this. Even if free means a little more difficult. I'm not buying a subscription to Schedules Direct for the same reason that machine doesn't have internet access - I can't afford to spend the money on that.
I tried going for the free option and once MS stopped updating their EPG it just wasn't working so I went with Schedules Direct. It's only $25 for an entire year and I haven't had any issues with EPG in my NextPVR since. YOu can try mc2xml and see if that helps. It'll create the xml file you can import. That's actually what I use instead of the built in EPG scraper. It allows my to denote repeat episodes in my Kodi EPG.
How can I use mc2xml on windows?
(2016-04-26, 15:54)opinionatedrone Wrote: How can I use mc2xml on windows?
google is very helpful : http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?....EPGMC2XML
I tried using mc2xml using "microsoft legacy" which ends up connecting to zap2it but only downloads the names of the channel and no episode information. going to the zap2it site, I can (and have) setup a user account and configured my settings for broadcast television in my zip code. Why can't there just be an easy download button on the site? this is getting irritating

Update: zap2xml is now working properly with zap2it.com and forgetting about mc2xml

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
EPG Data0