Req Alternative 4:3 to 16:9 'scaling'
Recently, like past few years, I see this being used a lot on national tv stations and such and thought it would make a good alternative scaling.
I've put scaling between brackets in the title since it's no actual scaling but an adaption of the picture.
Let me just show you an example of what I mean;

This is an old cartoon in 4:3 format and I got a load of these (I love 80's&90's cartoons Tongue).
How it's done? (I think), scale the 4:3 to make it fit 16:9 in the background, ignore the top and bottom part, and have it out of focus.
This way you get a sort of philips Bambi light effect, without actually distorting the picture itself.

The more and more I see it the more I think it makes a great addition to the way we can 'scale' 4:3 content in kodi.
I like it a lot more than cutting of video parts or having black borders, you still get the 16:9 look without mangling the picture itself.
Nice feature request.
There was a SVP DS build floating around
I found a way to do what I wanted, and it is adding Retroarch as an external video player, it's the fastest and easier way to achieve exactly the effects I wished for, both the border and the crt shader:

I'm planning to post a simple tutorial in the correct thread so people who'd like to use it for 4:3 and similar aspect videos with effects like these you love it.
That's not the way I'd want/like it but if you post the guide I'll see what can be done with it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alternative 4:3 to 16:9 'scaling'1